Vaping and Throat Cancer? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Vaping and Throat Cancer?

Full Member Verified Member Bergster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cags View Post
    I'm so glad you are doing well.

it seems like these days when we get sick people are always asking what we did to cause it. sigh. you know, maybe it is the antibiotics in our meats and dairy. or the poisons in our fruits and veggies. or the processed foods. or the pollution. stress, etc, etc

praying your recovery continues at a rapid rate!
    **gasp** How dare you hint at the notion of personal accountability!!! Don't get me started....food antibiotics, steroids, pesticides, gluten allergies, and thyroid disorders are just a few of the hottest trends out there causing bad health.

I take full responsibility for my situation, I smoked for 13 years knowing the health risks. I don't blame corporate tobacco, there was a Surgeon General's warning on every pack of ciggs that I ever purchased and smoked.

I don't blame the beer breweries and pizza eateries for making me a little soft around the edges during the winter either
    Last edited by Bergster; 01-03-2014 at 03:37 AM.
    goodoleboy45 likes this.

Senior Member Verified Member goodoleboy45's Avatar

I pray you get a full recovery. Keep us up dated God Bless

Super Member ECF Veteran freeatlast!'s Avatar

Bergster, I just came across this thread for the first time. I'm so sorry about your diagnosis, but very glad it was found in Stage 1 - that will make a lot of difference!! Glad to hear things are progressing well so far, and certainly wish you well in the weeks ahead!!

I am surprised, really, that this happened after "only" 13 years of smoking - I wonder if that's not pretty rare....and honestly, the docs don't know for certain that smoking caused it; they are assuming. I agree that "we" are responsible for taking up smoking, but I am pretty angry that the tobacco companies get away with whatever they do to increase the addiction factor - I'm pretty sure it's NOT "just" the nicotine! It is also outrageous, in my opinion, that cigs are still legal and sold virtually everywhere, if they're so lethal. Really doesn't make good sense.

Both my husband and his brother survived smoking-caused (probably) lung cancer - of course, both smoked heavily for decades.

If I were you, and still wanted to vape, I would do it pipe-style - without the inhaling. Don't know if you'd find that satisfying or not, but you might consider it.

My best to you!!! Stay positive, I believe that's very important in healing. Sure can't hurt!

CASAA ** PROVARINATI

Full Member Verified Member

Just reading this, fairly new to the forum and didn't even know this part existed.

Praying for you. Would love to hear an update.

Tapping away on an android device and probably painting my nails while vaping

Full Member Verified Member Bergster's Avatar

I have seriously been slacking and never updated this thread with my final outcome. Sorry!!

My last radiation treatment (28 treatments) was January 25th, then I took a month off to let radiation run its course and went back on February 25th for my laryngoscope and final diagnosis.

I am very happy to report that the cancer is GONE!

It has been 3 months since treatment ended and my voice quality has returned 100%! That was one of my biggest fears of losing my voice because I'm an amazing shower singer

Overall, the entire treatment process was not very painful for me. There are all kinds of horror stories on the internet about people needing feeding tubes because of excruciating throat pain, teeth falling out, etc. I think it's because of my young age and physical condition that I was able to get through radiation with nothing other than skin burns. I actually never missed a day of work. Unfortunately, cancer isn't cheap.

I now must see my ENT every month for the next 12 months for physical exams, then once every 60 days years 2-3, and then twice a year during year 4. If cancer does not come back in the next 4-5 years, I will be considered 100% cured. The most common places of cancer recurring among throat cancer survivors is lymph nodes or another form of oral cancer.

Again, a HUGE thank you to all of you for your prayers and optimism. There were a few times when I was really down in the dumps and I would re-read all of your posts to lift my spirits. It's fantastic that forums can provide a significant support group to anyone out there in a time of need.

For those wondering, I did vape through the entire treatment, but at 0 nicotine, and never drank a drop of alcohol. My oncologist gave me the OK to vape nicotine again so I'm now enjoying 6mg My energy is back and I'm able to enjoy backpacking, mountain bike riding and canoeing again.

Here's to the next 5 years of continued health and happiness

PS - I hope my story of survival inspires you or someone close to you that has or is currently battling cancer. Never give up or lose hope.
    Last edited by Bergster; 04-24-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    firechick, telsie, Katmar and 23 others like this.

Bergster,
    I am literally cheering for ya right now after reading your most recent update. You GO my friend........you DID it! You took care of business, you BEAT it, and please continue to do so.
    Your story is truly inspiring. I will be referring to it often, and I will be keeping you in my prayers.
    Last edited by TyPie; 04-24-2014 at 11:37 PM.
    Katmar, cags, Robdob and 1 others like this.
    DRUMROLL, please............................................

Senior Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

I just read this thread for the first time...Bergster, I am so happy for you! You are an inspiration to all of us. Thank you for keeping us updated.
    Katmar and Feignix like this.
    "If you have built castles in the air...that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Thoreau

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Robdob View Post
    I just read this thread for the first time...Bergster, I am so happy for you! You are an inspiration to all of us. Thank you for keeping us updated.

That is amazing news! Good on you mate! Its definatley a wake up call to hear something like that at such a young age. One thing Id like to recommend in your diet is flax seed oil. It apparently has some great anti cancer effects. Its great that you are clear now, but think of it as maintenance.

If you google Dr Budwig you can read about great things. At the very least it wont hurt as flax seed is good for you anyway. I have heard this from other people who go to naturpaths for other issues and they all seem to rave about the healing power of flax seeds.

If anyone on here is dealing with Cancer or know someone who is, please check out the info on Dr Budwig. From my google searching it seems like there may be something to this in addition to treatment....all I know is, I hate that freaking C word with a passion, and as a humanist, I hate to see people suffer. I like to spread the word on this to see if really does help.

Also, never doubt the power of prayer.

Happy for you! Made my day to hear this
    Katmar likes this.

Full Member Verified Member rudedog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bergster View Post
    I have seriously been slacking and never updated this thread with my final outcome. Sorry!!

My last radiation treatment (28 treatments) was January 25th, then I took a month off to let radiation run its course and went back on February 25th for my laryngoscope and final diagnosis.

It has been 3 months since treatment ended and my voice quality has returned 100%! That was one of my biggest fears of losing my voice because I'm an amazing shower singer

Overall, the entire treatment process was not very painful for me. There are all kinds of horror stories on the internet about people needing feeding tubes because of excruciating throat pain, teeth falling out, etc. I think it's because of my young age and physical condition that I was able to get through radiation with nothing other than skin burns. I actually never missed a day of work. Unfortunately, cancer isn't cheap.

I now must see my ENT every month for the next 12 months for physical exams, then once every 60 days years 2-3, and then twice a year during year 4. If cancer does not come back in the next 4-5 years, I will be considered 100% cured. The most common places of cancer recurring among throat cancer survivors is lymph nodes or another form of oral cancer.

Again, a HUGE thank you to all of you for your prayers and optimism. There were a few times when I was really down in the dumps and I would re-read all of your posts to lift my spirits. It's fantastic that forums can provide a significant support group to anyone out there in a time of need.

For those wondering, I did vape through the entire treatment, but at 0 nicotine, and never drank a drop of alcohol. My oncologist gave me the OK to vape nicotine again so I'm now enjoying 6mg My energy is back and I'm able to enjoy backpacking, mountain bike riding and canoeing again.

Here's to the next 5 years of continued health and happiness

PS - I hope my story of survival inspires you or someone close to you that has or is currently battling cancer. Never give up or lose hope.
    rite on man I kno you don't kno me but that's an awesome story and glad it worked out the way it did.take care and god most definitely blesses us so keep on keepin on!!....RUDEDOG
    Robdob likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bergster View Post

I bookmarked this topic and was really hoping you'd come back w/an update and you did and it was SO UPLIFTING ! You did great, so happy for you. You seem to be a really upbeat, positive person, I'm sure that truly helped your healing.

You sure are brave, too.
    Robdob likes this.

TC's given: ~9/27/12~ ~ 11/17/2012~~04/01/2013/TC rec'd: 03/09/2013

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast