Pneumonia?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Pneumonia?

Super Member ECF Veteran

Question Pneumonia?

does anyone know if theres a risk of it? even vapor "water" can easily cause pneumonia or infection of the lungs. i know there havent been tests done yet but is anyone at all concerned? im no doctor but i just thought of that.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Are you suggesting that because we're inhaling vapor that it'll condense in the lungs and fill them up with liquid?

Don't think there's much risk of that seeing as the PG used in the most common liquids is the same as that used in smoke/fog machines used in theatrical performances/rock concerts, etc. If everyone exposed to that came down with pneumonia, I'd think we'd have heard about it...

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrid84 View Post
    does anyone know if theres a risk of it? even vapor "water" can easily cause pneumonia or infection of the lungs. i know there havent been tests done yet but is anyone at all concerned? im no doctor but i just thought of that.
    I'm not worried. I think you're far more likely to get pneumonia from smoking than you are from vaping. I had it last year and got a huge lecture from the doctor about the link between analogs and bronchitis/pneumonia.

I can breathe deeply now. Three months ago I was struggling to breathe. That's all the evidence I need.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Katmar's Avatar

Plus PG is a germicide!! Probably protect the lungs.

Super Member ECF Veteran

thanks for your thoughts.

a friend of mine actually got pneumonia from smokin e cigs, she had been going to [removed] she thought it was a chest cold or an allergic reaction to an ingredient and it was a flavored liquid. the doctor apparently told her that there must be an ingredient in e liquid that triggered it.

spooked me a little bit, and i have a 30ml of blueberry coming from [them] ill let you know if i get pneumonia though.
    Last edited by rolygate; 03-30-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: 2nd hand statements / accusations like this are not permitted
    Screwball21 likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Actually, a study, done by a doctor in the 1940's at the University of Chicago, with Propolyn Glycol proved just the opposite. Propolyn Glycol kills the virus and bacteria types of pneumonia which are the two major pneumonia causing pathogens. So it is doubtful it was caused by a virus or a bacteria.

However, with that being said, it is possible that she may have rather been diagnosed with lipiod pneumonia which can definitely be caused by something like vaping due to the nature of the e-liquid she used. If she used a liquid with VG it might very well have caused it.

About Lipoid Pneumonia:

Lipoid pneumonia is an uncommon condition that results from the chronic aspiration of mineral, animal, or vegetable oils into the lungs. Inhaled oil is phagocytosed by macrophages that fill the alveoli and distend the alveolar walls, causing acute and chronic pneumonitis. Over time, the macrophages transport the oil from the alveoli to the interlobular septa, resulting in localized granulomas and pulmonary fibrosis.

Such things as nasal drops and mineral oil, vegetable oil have been known to cause this type of pneumonia when inhaled. So there you go. Vaping could very well cause a certain type of pneumonia...so be careful out there!

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 420GypsyGirl View Post
    Actually, a study, done by a doctor in the 1940's at the University of Chicago, with Propolyn Glycol proved just the opposite. Propolyn Glycol kills the virus and bacteria types of pneumonia which are the two major pneumonia causing pathogens. So it is doubtful it was caused by a virus or a bacteria.

However, with that being said, it is possible that she may have rather been diagnosed with lipiod pneumonia which can definitely be caused by something like vaping due to the nature of the e-liquid she used. If she used a liquid with VG it might very well have caused it.

About Lipoid Pneumonia:

Lipoid pneumonia is an uncommon condition that results from the chronic aspiration of mineral, animal, or vegetable oils into the lungs. Inhaled oil is phagocytosed by macrophages that fill the alveoli and distend the alveolar walls, causing acute and chronic pneumonitis. Over time, the macrophages transport the oil from the alveoli to the interlobular septa, resulting in localized granulomas and pulmonary fibrosis.

Such things as nasal drops and mineral oil, vegetable oil have been known to cause this type of pneumonia when inhaled. So there you go. Vaping could very well cause a certain type of pneumonia...so be careful out there!
    can VG be considered an "oil" though?
    Screwball21 likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

VG isn't a oil, it's water soluble. Oil's would have a tendency to stick since they aren't water soluble- hence avoid any flavorings that are oil based.
    So i don't think you'd have to worry about that type of pnemonia either unless your adding oil type flavorings to your juice.
    VG can harbor bacteria from what I read , just becareful how you handle it ( wash hands etc etc , use common sense), and clean any tools you use with it and you should be fine. I would think that a bit of PGA or pg added to it would negate any possibility of contamination ( like a preservative)

This is my first post, I've been lurking for a few months. Just wanted to share that I just came out of the hospital, I had pneumonia. I don't know why, but I believe the vaping caused it. It came on very sudden and viscous. All happened in an 8 hour timespan. I've been vaping for 3 months.
    Screwball21 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast