New study says vaping at high volts causes formaldehyde, size of particles in pv is more dangerous
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New study says vaping at high volts causes formaldehyde, size of particles in pv is more dangerous

Default New study says vaping at high volts causes formaldehyde, size of particles in pv is more dangerous

iflscience.
    com/health-and-medicine/studies-reveal-health-risks-e-cigarettes

What's your take on this? It's giving me second thoughts about using a pv long-term, but I'm sure they're still much safer than cigarettes.

Sent from my LG-LS860 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sonicdsl; 07-29-2014 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Broke link to junk science

Full Member ECF Veteran Greg__B's Avatar

I'm so disgusted by this blog posting this article. I've already unfollowed them on Facebook.

Sent from Mars using my Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator.

Sounds like propaganda. What studies done by what laboratory? BT or BP?

Super Member Verified Member rurwin's Avatar

It isn't a new study; the formaldehyde issue has been debunked a while ago.

Formaldehyde release in ecigarette vapor The New York Times story explained in detail

Rurwin, I don't find that to be debunking. It admits formaldehyde is present in vapor, and also doesnt address the issue of a more dangerous particle size.

And I don't know about the assumption that everyone who uses higher voltages uses bottom coil, I have a top coil tank and I vape at 4.2-4.8v.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I don't understand why anyone would vape that high, it will just burn the coil (see the wattage/voltage chart on google images)

vaping is still a lot more safer than analogs but it will be interesting when they make a new study with a lot more information than just pure FUD
    Katmar, glycerol and greyfox like this.

Vamo Shrink + IGO-L + Kanthal 30g + ~1.5 ohms + Rayon + CGR18650CH 2200mAh

Super Member Verified Member rurwin's Avatar

In certain sections of this board you will see a yellow banner warning about the risks of using higher powers. I strongly feel that the dry-hit taste will be discernible before any damaging level of contamination is reached, but that's just my gut feeling. As Dr Farselinos says, the study has not been done.

The particle size has also been attacked.

Firstly, it appears to be wrong: Electronic cigarette aerosol particle size dis... [Inhal Toxicol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
    Secondly, there is a big difference between the solid particles in cigarette smoke, which can remain in the lungs, and the liquid particles in e-cig vapour which are entirely or almost entirely broken down by the body.

See: Defending proper science and evidence: our second letter to the WHO, exposing mis-presentation of evidence in the Glantz letter at 4

"Reference is also made to ‘ultrafine particles’ as though it is particle size that governs risk to health. In fact the lowest size particles are water vapor, which carries no health risk. What matters most is the chemical composition of the particulate matter – and this differs completely between tobacco smoke and e-cigarette vapor."
    Katmar, Rickajho and greyfox like this.

Senior Member ECF Veteran glycerol's Avatar

Cloud chasers and drippers should keep that in mind: if you keep your pv at 3.4-3.7v and 2.0-2.4 ohm it's 800 times safer. A fact.
    Katmar likes this.
    Vision Slip / Kamry X10

Super Member ECF Veteran dragonpuff's Avatar
    Over the river and through the woods, Western NY

Quote Originally Posted by sincerelysasquatch View Post
    iflscience.
    com/health-and-medicine/studies-reveal-health-risks-e-cigarettes

What's your take on this? It's giving me second thoughts about using a pv long-term, but I'm sure they're still much safer than cigarettes.

The study in question is very much not new. Since its publication in May it has been making the rounds through almost every news article that wants to show dangers of e-cigarettes. I've been discussing this article in another thread under Media earlier today, as it made me very upset...

Here is a link to an older thread, where the formaldehyde study was talked about in a time magazine article:
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...udy-shows.html
    The last two pages (6 and 7) of this thread explain very clearly what's wrong with this study and the way the results were presented (I had jumped in to defend the study, only to concede my position later when other vapers gave me evidence to discount it...).

As for the other study they cited, here's a little bit about what it says:
    The particles are of comparable size to those contained in cigarette smoke, and as many as 40 percent of them reach the deepest part of the lungs when inhaled, said Jonathan Thornburg, lead investigator and a senior research engineer at RTI International, a North Carolina research institute.

That means if the particles turn out to be harmful, they'll be causing damage throughout the lungs.
    Notice the giant "IF" in this statement? They're not saying they proved the vapor to be harmful at all, just that it potentially could be.

This study also does not hold water.

At the end of the day, IFLS presented two studies that don't actually prove that e-cigarettes are dangerous at all, only that they could, maybe, potentially, possibly... be dangerous. So don't worry

I was very disappointed in IFLS for this. They've jumped on the bandwagon of spreading lies to get likes. It's bothersome.
    Last edited by sonicdsl; 07-29-2014 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Updated quote of edited post

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." – Doctor Who

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast