anyone else have shortness of breath? - Page 4
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: anyone else have shortness of breath?

Super Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

It is weird, this. I vape mixes of PV and VG mainly. If I am witha friend and they ae showing me a new e-liquid that is PG I can vape it but not all the time as is I have to cut it with VG. Straight PG gives me headaches and dries out my skin. PG/VG mix does not do this. For others it is straight VG and no PG and yet for others still it has to be straight PG. Why this is I do not fully understand, but clearly there is definitely something anyone who starts vaping needs to look into.

PV Master ECF Veteran

Trouble is, there aren't really any other choices! PG and VG have both been extensively tested and are promised not to be harmful, that's many years of tests. Animal testing back in the 40's through 60's....no harmful effects found. Thing is they are both humectants, and do cause tissues to dry out if not washed off. They should keep moisture in then, as well. Because on the other hand, they are also used in lotions and skin softeners, toothpastes and mouth wash, etc., so one good thing to just try is to drink lots and lots of water to keep tissues hydrated from the inside. Someone said cough drops may bring some relief. Another possibility is that the OP has some throat infection going on...I can personally say I have not had even a mild cold since I started vaping 10+/- months ago, PG and VG are both also anti-bacterial. No more sinus infections, either. Yay!
    Could also be a ph problem. Most juices measure out at 4.5 to 6, which is more on the alkaline side than the acid side. This shouldn't be a problem, but might be a question for the DR. Perhaps would just cause a change in the throat and lung tissues that has to work itself out with your normal ph level.
    So very interesting and perplexing. Let us know how your lung function tests come out, OK??

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Ralph T's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    I smoked analogs for 12 years. I am 37 now. I'm not sure when I worked my way up to a pack a day, but I would say I was at a pack a day for at least the last 7 years. Salem ultra light 100's. I run 4 miles a day, several days a week. Moreso in the summer than winter. Smoking never seemed to bother me. I wanted to quit to avoid the very problems I am experiencing now.
    Your problem could also be equipment related. I am using mostly cartomizers on a chuck (at 3.7V). I ran into a thread about the internals of cartomizers scorching. So, I started dissecting my carto's and sure enough, scorched inside. This can happen without really noticing it. I think that the fill material is a polyester material similar to an analog's filter or a cartridge filler. So, it could be that if you use cartomizers that you may have an issue with the fumes from the scorched fill material.

Here is a link to one of the threads that have discussed this in depth: Cartomizer questions
    Last edited by Ralph T; 01-21-2010 at 05:30 AM.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph T View Post
    Your problem could also be equipment related. I am using mostly cartomizers on a chuck (at 3.7V). I ran into a thread about the internals of cartomizers scorching. So, I started dissecting my carto's and sure enough, scorched inside. This can happen without really noticing it. I think that the fill material is a polyester material similar to an analog's filter or a cartridge filler. So, it could be that if you use cartomizers that you may have an issue with the fumes from the scorched fill material.

Here is a link to one of the threads that have discussed this in depth: Cartomizer questions

I clicked on that thread and decided to take apart my current cartomizer I was vaping. It still had flavor, had loads of juice in it, and was far from being at the disposing point. While not as bad as those pics, the sheet wrapping tha metal part was scorched and burned through in places, and part of the filler was melted. Are you still using carts even after finding this? I am worried after seeing that. How dangerous is this? I may try using greencig carts on my V4L batteries. Those don't burn, or so I've read on the forums.

CASAA Activist Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Default It was the Polyfill cartridge fibers

Yes, I did experience the problem, but it turned out to be caused not by the liquid, nor by the atomizer. It was caused by the cartridge filler material. After a day of using a pre-filled cartridge I had been adding liquid for several days in a row. These were the carts for the NJOY (RN 4081) that come with polyfill. I happened to notice that there were fibers sticking up when I went to refill the cartridge and figured out that I had been inhaling these.

I have switched to pyramid tea bags as my filler and the problem is gone.

----
    Support CASAA -http://www.casaa.org/Donate_LKWE.html ---

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Ralph T's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SikVapor View Post
    I clicked on that thread and decided to take apart my current cartomizer I was vaping. It still had flavor, had loads of juice in it, and was far from being at the disposing point. While not as bad as those pics, the sheet wrapping tha metal part was scorched and burned through in places, and part of the filler was melted. Are you still using carts even after finding this? I am worried after seeing that. How dangerous is this? I may try using greencig carts on my V4L batteries. Those don't burn, or so I've read on the forums.
    I am still using them. I try and keep the pulls under 4 seconds. I use this method to fill them, but only once. I have about a dozen left and then they're history. I have some 510 atty's. I will probably go back to those. I also have a JuiceBox on order which I think is the overall best solution. However the JB mfg process is about 6 weeks behind the power curve.

I think the GC carts are an option, but I understand they are pricey and difficult to refill.

As far as how dangerous this is... Well... I consider this to be about the same as lighting the filter end of an analog. I think its dangerous as hell, because most people have no idea that it is happening and often times it happens before you taste it! This really sucks, because after mucking around with attys, I thought cartos were the shizzzz!

Quote Originally Posted by Vocalek View Post
    Yes, I did experience the problem, but it turned out to be caused not by the liquid, nor by the atomizer. It was caused by the cartridge filler material. After a day of using a pre-filled cartridge I had been adding liquid for several days in a row. These were the carts for the NJOY (RN 4081) that come with polyfill. I happened to notice that there were fibers sticking up when I went to refill the cartridge and figured out that I had been inhaling these.

I have switched to pyramid tea bags as my filler and the problem is gone.

Hi. i'm a new member as of today, but I have been reading this forum for 3 days now, the day I started to vape! I too have already replaced all my wool / poly filled carts with teabags.

But I have been vaping very heavily the past 3 days. I go through about 4 batteries a day. I have also been mixing my own juice as I ordered my starter kit with only one 35mL bottle of Marlboro flavoured 0nic. I don't like the taste so I've been vaping on the coffee flavoured carts prefilled. I've gone through all my coffee carts (10) + 5 Cola prefilled carts. So today, I started mixing my own juice from ingredients I bought from the shopping mall. - Glycerine and almond essence (found in the cake and icing section). I use distilled water or vodka to dilute the thick Glycerine.
    I mix 50/50 + 1 drop of flavour and using tea bags in the cart, it produces lots of smoke with a nutty flavour. (2mL+2mL)+1drop flavour.

I woke up this morning with a clogged up throat (I think reading from the above posts that I need to drink plenty of water and gargle with listerine). My lungs feel heavy and it is a little harder to breath. I think I vape too much ? I've smoked for 10 years, first year was 1pack a week, which easily turned to 1 pack a day for 9 years. I stopped smoking for about 10 months due to physical exams I had to pass in my career, and only started to smoke analogs whilst celebrating last new years.. then I found out about vaping..

Not sure if I use too much Glycerine and my lungs are filled with sugar that is causing slight diffculties in breathing.. or i'm alergic to something.. or vaping ingredients found in cakes bad for me.. but i'm sure the sore throat is because I don't drink enough water.. come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I had a glass of water.. I've been drinking coke.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

-I want a trap that throws bears at people. I'll call it a bear trap. I know it sounds misleading, but it sounds cool and I want to see the look on the person's face when they set it off..

Super Member ECF Veteran

I am having shortness of breath on day 3. I use johnsons creek and i know theres is a pg vg mix. I may have to switch. Just an fyi

■Between 2 weeks and 3 months, your circulation improves, walking becomes easier and you donít cough or wheeze as often. Phlegm production decreases. Within several months, you have significant improvement in lung function.
    ■In 1 to 9 months, coughs, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decrease as you continue to see significant improvement in lung function. Cilia, tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs, regain normal function.

It can take 9 months for shortness of breath to go away, maybe even longer.
    patriciaj likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
    Hi. i'm a new member as of today, but I have been reading this forum for 3 days now, the day I started to vape! I too have already replaced all my wool / poly filled carts with teabags.

But I have been vaping very heavily the past 3 days. I go through about 4 batteries a day. I have also been mixing my own juice as I ordered my starter kit with only one 35mL bottle of Marlboro flavoured 0nic. I don't like the taste so I've been vaping on the coffee flavoured carts prefilled. I've gone through all my coffee carts (10) + 5 Cola prefilled carts. So today, I started mixing my own juice from ingredients I bought from the shopping mall. - Glycerine and almond essence (found in the cake and icing section). I use distilled water or vodka to dilute the thick Glycerine.
    I mix 50/50 + 1 drop of flavour and using tea bags in the cart, it produces lots of smoke with a nutty flavour. (2mL+2mL)+1drop flavour.

I woke up this morning with a clogged up throat (I think reading from the above posts that I need to drink plenty of water and gargle with listerine). My lungs feel heavy and it is a little harder to breath. I think I vape too much ? I've smoked for 10 years, first year was 1pack a week, which easily turned to 1 pack a day for 9 years. I stopped smoking for about 10 months due to physical exams I had to pass in my career, and only started to smoke analogs whilst celebrating last new years.. then I found out about vaping..

Not sure if I use too much Glycerine and my lungs are filled with sugar that is causing slight diffculties in breathing.. or i'm alergic to something.. or vaping ingredients found in cakes bad for me.. but i'm sure the sore throat is because I don't drink enough water.. come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I had a glass of water.. I've been drinking coke.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

-I want a trap that throws bears at people. I'll call it a bear trap. I know it sounds misleading, but it sounds cool and I want to see the look on the person's face when they set it off..
    Make sure that your almond flavoring isn't oil based. I think they generally are ... and that would be bad. Only use flavors that are water soluble.

Jan
    LindyLou likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I dont know. With this stuff, there are a lot of unknowns. Its everyone's best guess as to what causes symptoms. If it is withdrawals, an allergy, the liquid, the filler, Someone being paranoid. etc etc.

But I will say, I know two people who have tried e-smoking who are definitely not hypochondriacs at all, and they had trouble breathing after vaping for a couple of months, went back to cigarettes, perhaps foolishly, but they are convinced it was the e-cig.

Sometimes you have to use ur common sense, If you switched over to e-cigs and you are getting symptoms you never got before even smoking cigarettes heavily, Maybe your body is telling you something. These devices are brandnew, People are no here vaping for years and years like the time it takes for cigarettes to cause damange, We are talking about months. very short time frame. If people are getting ill effects in that short of time, I think maybe we need to consider the possibility that these things might cause reactions we are not totally aware of yet. Just check out how many friggin times the words "pg allergy" is used as a blanket statement to cover everyones problems. Ohhh ur having a problem?? Okkk i guess ur allergic than. that line is getting old. These are unregulated products from china where we are not 1000000 percent sure of all the things we are inhaling.
    bcme likes this.

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast