Propylene glycol inhaling?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Propylene glycol inhaling?

Default Propylene glycol inhaling?

So have any tests actually been done to determine if it's bad to be inhaling this stuff all day? Who knows, maybe it's worse than tobacco? I doubt it, but has it actually been tested at all? I know they have tested it somewhat because they use smoke machines and stuff all the time.. but that's just inhaling a bit that's in the air, it's not really the same.

This post is many years old and contains some specualtion and out-of-date information that can be disregarded. On the last page are some links to research showing PG is safe for inhalation in absolute terms: it has 70 years of documented history for this purpose and no one has ever died as a result. In pharmaceutical terms this is not just exemplary, it is highly unusual. For example, aspirin is far more dangerous.

PG is used in asthma inhalers and the nebulizers used by lung transplant patients. Any sources that say it 'may be unsafe to inhale' would need to explain why it is licensed for inhalable medicines and injectable medicines by all authorities, and licensed for long-term high-volume inhalation under all employee health regulations (it is the main ingredient in theatre/disco fog), and without incident for 70 years.

However that is not to say there are no cautions because individual tolerance to any given material, no matter how harmless, varies comprehensively:
    • For inhalation duty, only pharma-grade PG must be used. There are multiple grades including industrial grade, agricultural grade, pharma grade. Do not use the cheapest option as it is unlikely to be pharma grade.
    • Some individuals are intolerant to the throat-drying propensity of PG. They should try another brand, or a higher VG percentage in their refill liquid, or change to all-VG.
    See this post:
    pg - vg - peg

Last edited by rolygate; 01-25-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Default Re: Propylene glycol inhaling?

Yea, its a real concern. There will be a GOOD study one day that will tell us for certain. I doubt that it will tell us we are are 100% fine breathing this stuff - nothing this unnatural could be. We are all taking bets here, but I think its a worth it because I KNOW carcinogens aren't good.

Some friends and I used to put on this show in college that used a smoke machine in a small room. We used it heavily, and we all stayed in the room for hours. At the end, when we were outside we all had this black stuff phlegm in our mouths and noses. I'm sure its a different scenario with this device - well at least I'm hoping it is...

Super Member ECF Veteran

Well, it's gotta be MUCH better, because since I have gone exclusively e-cigs, I've felt SO MUCH BETTER! Woot!

I don't think I wanna know anything else right now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by karenwest1961
    Well, it's gotta be MUCH better, because since I have gone exclusively e-cigs, I've felt SO MUCH BETTER! Woot!

I don't think I wanna know anything else right now.

I feel better also.
    I've not smoked a whole lot of "real cigarettes" for about 6 weeks now. (Average of maybe 2 cig,)
    I do get my nicotine fix.

I know that when people quit smoking they gain weight, because they are looking for an alternative.

Has anyone noticed a weight gain since using these devises?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have... I gained 5 pounds in the last 5 1/2 months.... This is the only thing I can contribute the weight gain too. Sometimes its almost enough to make me go back to real cigs.....

EDITED: You are correct - I meant to say "attribute"

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran leaford's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you mean "attribute," but don't be too sure about that; concurrance is NOT causation.

Full Member ECF Veteran
    Cleveland Ohio... the mistake on the lake;-)>

Quote Originally Posted by leaford
    I think you mean "attribute," but don't be too sure about that; concurrance is NOT causation.
    Excellent! Spoken like a true statistician! :geek:

As far as the PG stuff goes--the only concerns my learned colleauges at the university hospital expressed to me were: [drumroll] possible increased leg cramps [/drumroll]... As our bods process PG into Lactic Acid, the increase in this might cause some cramping. newbie runners sometimes sometimes suffer this as a result of the extra lactic acid they develop as well... my response was; since our bodies process cigarette smoke into--> cancer i will live with any leg cramps.

Super Member ECF Veteran

I think I better answer this one...

My patients and me also been on it for roughly more than 4 months now and we did have early reports of excessive dry throat and mild allergic response to PPG...
    Also noted were increase occurrences of leg cramps..but very transient , not detrimental to one's health....that was seen at 2nd month of intense use but the occurrences seem to resolve later on...no recurrence...

increase in phlegm(darkish brown in color) seems to be the main complaint after the first month of use but then less nose congestion or rhinitis was reported.... no reported dental staining or damage so far...

weight loss seems to be more prevalent than weight gain...or for some no actual weight change....still a subjective response...

no reported lung damage so far..no one complained of shortness of breath or dyspnoea....in fact most feels a much improved lung capacity....able to tolerate far heavier strenuous exercise than before...

Quote Originally Posted by jimldk
    I think I better answer this one...

My patients and me also been on it for roughly more than 4 months now and we did have early reports of excessive dry throat and mild allergic response to PPG...
    Also noted were increase occurrences of leg cramps..but very transient , not detrimental to one's health....that was seen at 2nd month of intense use but the occurrences seem to resolve later on...no recurrence...

increase in phlegm(darkish brown in color) seems to be the main complaint after the first month of use but then less nose congestion or rhinitis was reported.... no reported dental staining or damage so far...

weight loss seems to be more prevalent than weight gain...or for some no actual weight change....still a subjective response...

no reported lung damage so far..no one complained of shortness of breath or dyspnoea....in fact most feels a much improved lung capacity....able to tolerate far heavier strenuous exercise than before...
    Thanks for the response. I guess no one can really know how bad it can be though cause no one has inhaled it for too too long. I mean, lets say you're inhaling this stuff every day for 10 years, maybe it has a worse effect than tobacco? :S

I doubt it and dont think thats the case, but still curious

Ultra Member

JimlDK- I just raN across this site which talks about PG and it really doesn't look all that safe- it's listed as a 4 out of 10 which is a moderate risk, and they state that this is for consumption/ingestion/absorptions under 50% PG formulas- I'm wondering if thgis stuff accumulates or if it's expelled quickly enough that we can keep smoking with little worry? Toxicity can lead to skin problems, allergic reactions, kidney problems, liver problems, and from the site "On the other hand, studies done in vitro tests on mammalian cells revealed that some cells underwent mutation." and "Other research conducted twenty and thirty years ago documented toxic effects after repeated small doses of propylene glycol were ingested or repeatedly applied to the skin." It can also lead to lactic acidosis (Which can be fatal in bad cases, and can cause numerous health issues as a side effect of lactic acidosis), and irreversible nerve damage- although this is for the more concentrated forms of PG- but if consistent ingestion causes a buildup- it would seem that introducing it via an altered atomized version (which alters PG's chemical structure I beleive?) might not be such a good idea? Need more info regardign the pharmacology (sp?) on this to see what it's shelf-life is in the body?.

Not to be a downer, as I really want for this E-Smoking to work safely, but I'm not really liking what I see mentioned on PG- I know all these are worse case scenarios, but really, we're changign hte chemical make-up of PPG by atmozing it (I beleive?), ingesting fairly large quantities of it it would seem, and we're taking it straight into the lungs, heated up, where it clings to tissue, and can conceivably cause mutatiosn in cells if done consistently enough, which as smokers, we certainly would be doing?

Here's the link: www .naturalnews .com/023138.html
    Last edited by rolygate; 01-25-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast