Let's Talk Hardware - Page 11
Page 11 of 314 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree9492Likes

Thread: Let's Talk Hardware

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidOck View Post
    Only caveat I can think of is to check how to read resistance without firing the MVP2. As long as you do that, you're only putting a current regulated voltage on the circuit, and won't hurt anything. My MVP is model 1.1, just VV and no Ω check, but my VV3 and SVD both use this procedure: press and hold both the + and - buttons for a couple seconds to read the topper resistance. Being as all are Innokin, I'd suspect the MVP2 is the same, but...
    Excellent point - yes, the MVP 2.0 has the same resistance check method. I'll do that before doing the quick fires to crimp the micro coil.
    Chakris, retic1959 and TerrorFiend like this.

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAwaters View Post
    Excellent point - yes, the MVP 2.0 has the same resistance check method. I'll do that before doing the quick fires to crimp the micro coil.
    This works Great, btw. Been doing it since I started building coils.
    Chakris and LAwaters like this.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I like to check at several steps along the way, too. Not a big deal with the KF, but on rebuilt Kanger's, for example, I'll check after I install the bottom contact pin (before putting it into a base), and then again after mounting to the base and putting it on any mod that has Ω check. There's been a couple times I've wound up twisting the coil inside, and the perfect 1.5 suddenly became a 0.1!

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
    LA, your MVP is fine. But if you want to check it's accuracy (or consistency), measure it with both the MVP and the multimeter. I found my multimeter and Provari are always within 0.1 ohms. That's nothing but a rounding variance. I trust the accuracy of my Provari ohm meter.
    My ohm checker consistently reads .2 ohms higher than my Provari. E.g., if the Povari reads 1.8, the checker will read 2.0. I trust the Provari more than a $17 ohm meter.

I tried several ohm meters in the store, and this one was the most accurate. Sheesh.
    Chakris, retic1959 and LAwaters like this.
    “If a thing is worth having, it's worth cheating for." W.C. Fields

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    My ohm checker consistently reads .2 ohms higher than my Provari. E.g., if the Povari reads 1.8, the checker will read 2.0. I trust the Provari more than a $17 ohm meter.

I tried several ohm meters in the store, and this one was the most accurate. Sheesh.
    Your ohm checker probably has 0.2 ohms of resistance residing in the circuitry. My multimeter has 0.3 ohms but I am able to measure it by holding the leads together to see what the reading is. I just subtract it when i measure devices. It's consistently 0.3 ohms. I never owned an ohm checker. I assume it is a box you screw your connector to and it just reads the ohms? Not sure how you could measure the resident resistance on that. Seems it is 0.2 ohms.
    Pappy, Chakris, retic1959 and 2 others like this.
    "The fate of unborn millions will now depend, under God, on the courage and conduct of this army...we have therefore to resolve to conquer or die." General Washington July 2, 1776

PV Master ECF Veteran retic1959's Avatar

My 2nd MVP 2.0 and my first HCigar Kayfun 3.1 picked up last night. I watched RiP Tripper's micro coil building vid and he uses his device to measure the ohms. Is that okay to do? Or is it better to use an ohm meter or multi-meter?

Attachment 333298
    Dam LA , I'm proud of you , no worries checking resistance with your MVP , you won't blow your device , Innokin devices are highly accurate on the resistance check , BK's checked them with his gear , usually within .1 accuracy , what resistance are you shooting for ?
    Chakris likes this.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Default Let's Talk Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by retic1959 View Post
    Dam LA , I'm proud of you , no worries checking resistance with your MVP , you won't blow your device , Innokin devices are highly accurate on the resistance check , BK's checked them with his gear , usually within .1 accuracy , what resistance are you shooting for ?
    Retic, I could not wait for you to see that I went for it! I'm already wanting about 5 more of these. And a lot more HHV, because this baby burns through juice. I actually got a nic buzz at the B&M after just 3 hits. Is that my imagination, or does the Kayfun really deliver nic that well? I just moved to 18 mg from being at 24 mg for over three months. I noticed more nic from my new Aero and Nautilus, but the Kayfun was even more intense. I did not chain vape last night even though I wanted to.

And the FLAVOR! I am thrilled beyond words with this tank.

The young woman at the store did the first coil build for me to show me how. I think her coil was around 1.4. Then I watched the videos and saw The micro coil and I had to try doing it. This was necessary sooner than I planned because of course I drained the tank and burned the organic cotton wick!

Instead of just re-wicking, I did a micro coil build. First one was great, until I tried to adjust its position and I shorted it. But my next attempt came out well! and is reading at 1.5.

I used 28 ga Kanthal on a 5/64 drill bit with 10 wraps. Got that lovely glow from the inside out, and it's vaping really well. I'm almost out of my new bottle of Legend, so Huntsman it is.
    Last edited by LAwaters; 05-08-2014 at 03:30 AM.

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Retic, I could wait for you to see that I went for it! I'm already wanting about 5 more of these. And a lot more HHV, because this baby burns through juice. I actually got a nic buzz at the B&M after just 3 hits. Is that my imagination, or does the Kayfun really deliver nic that well? I just moved to 18 mg from being at 24 mg for over three months. I noticed more nic from my new Aero and Nautilus, but the Kayfun was even more intense. I did not chain vape last night even though I wanted to.

The young woman at the store did the first coil build for me to show me how. I think her coil was around 1.4. Then I watched the videos and saw The micro coil and I had to try doing it. This was necessary sooner than I planned because of course I drained the tank and burned the organic cotton wick!

Instead of just re-wicking, I did a micro coil build. First one was great, until I tried to adjust its position and I shorted it. But my next attempt came out well! and is reading at 1.5.

I used 28 ga Kanthal on a 5/64 drill bit with 10 wraps. Got that lovely glow from the inside out, and it's vaping really well. I'm almost out of my new bottle of Legend, so Huntsman it is.
    Feels good to get it right, eh?
    retic1959 and LAwaters like this.
    "The fate of unborn millions will now depend, under God, on the courage and conduct of this army...we have therefore to resolve to conquer or die." General Washington July 2, 1776

ECF Moderator
    Original Guru
    Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Told y'all she was a quick learner, right!! Good on ya, LA!!

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk
    Chakris, retic1959 and LAwaters like this.

PV Master ECF Veteran retic1959's Avatar

Retic, I could wait for you to see that I went for it! I'm already wanting about 5 more of these. And a lot more HHV, because this baby burns through juice. I actually got a nic buzz at the B&M after just 3 hits. Is that my imagination, or does the Kayfun really deliver nic that well? I just moved to 18 mg from being at 24 mg for over three months. I noticed more nic from my new Aero and Nautilus, but the Kayfun was even more intense. I did not chain vape last night even though I wanted to.

Yup the 3.1 is all about flavor , it's my weapon of choice , haven't told you but I'm a professional chef taste is everything to me , you're burning more juice so you're getting more flavor and nicotine at the same time , I wouldn't change nicotine strength just yet , you'll adjust to the kayfun in a few days , BTW Huntsman is awesome in the 3.1 . I'm glad you took the Army's advice , it's a big step up from clearo's .
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin