Microcoil Pictorial - Simple - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree289Likes

Thread: Microcoil Pictorial - Simple

Double Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PapawBrett View Post
    I don't subohm, either as I prefer a cooler, smoother Vape. I only added that post as I didn't want some unsuspecting soul to try a rebuild without understanding the importance of an Ohms test. Still, an outstanding post Bronze.
    I'd like to think if someone is using a mech they would know to test it before firing it up. But that would be giving too much credit though wouldn't it?

I just wanted to post a simple coil build for noobs. How many times do we walk people through builds or troubleshoots? Especially on the Kayfun thread. Maybe getting it in a pictorial will spare us the energy.
    "The fate of unborn millions will now depend, under God, on the courage and conduct of this army...we have therefore to resolve to conquer or die." General Washington July 2, 1776

I think it was a good tutorial easy to follow and very clear. Good job

PV Master* Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Excellent job Bronze and Papaw. As far as the inside diameter is concerned. I have to go with Papaw. Anything over 1/16th inside diameter is a mini coil. All my Reo's are done at 1.5mm ID. 10 wraps of 28 gauge give me around 1.2 ohms. Perfect for this old man.
    And I don't sub ohm either. Tried a 0.3 ohm once. Lost all the hair on my head. (whoops, didn't have any there to start out with.).
    Bronze, Chakris and DavidOH like this.
    Started vaping on 09/05/2012
    If I stumble and fall, I will get back up. I will never ever give up!

PV Master ECF Veteran retic1959's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    I think of it this way: the majority of people use 28 gauge wire, right? And in Kayfun's for example, most people aim for around (roughly) 1.5 ohm. So you can't really go all that much bigger than 2mm and still build a 1.5 ohm/28-gauge coil and still fit it in the Kayfun...or the coil is going to be wider than the terminal posts, and/or too tall so the top cap (or bottom of the deck) hits it which will create a short.

So purely by the physical constraints of the most popular RTA out there, using the most common wire, building it at the most common resistance, I would think right around 2mm would then be considered the "standard" size since it's just right to fit in there (takes a deep breath so therefore, that's why I wouldn't consider 2mm to be a microcoil.

No offense to your nice tutorial - I'm just sayin'
    Microcoil has become more synomynous with the type of build rather than the size , most ECF veterans accept anything with an ID of 2mm and compressed as being a microcoil , since there is no standard I wouldn't buck the common usage of the term on ECF unless you like jousting with windmills .
    Chakris, tnt56 and DavidOH like this.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

PV Master* Verified Member Bunnykiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought that 2mm wasn't considered a microcoil according to the chart that is floating around?

2mm would fall under "mini" which is something like 2.5 mm down to 1.6. "Micro" is 1.5 to 1.1, and "nano" is ~1mm.
    the way I see it, nano is too small to pull cotton thru, micro is too small to pull to pull silica thru and macro is big enuf to pull silica or cotton thru..... example nano = needle, micro = micro screwdriver, macro = 10 wraps = 5 ohms

awesome post Bronze !!!! if a picture is worth a 1000 words, you just wrote an awesome book
    Last edited by Bunnykiller; 06-25-2014 at 12:25 AM.
    Chakris, tnt56, DavidOH and 1 others like this.
    Don't Trust ATOMS They Make Up Everything

PV Master* Verified Member Bunnykiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

subohm on a 3.1
    DSCF0036.jpg

.001 ohms its hot its nasty its just gross
    Chakris, tnt56, DavidOH and 1 others like this.
    Don't Trust ATOMS They Make Up Everything

*Fat Bob* Verified Member
    Supporting Member

I think of it this way: the majority of people use 28 gauge wire, right? And in Kayfun's for example, most people aim for around (roughly) 1.5 ohm. So you can't really go all that much bigger than 2mm and still build a 1.5 ohm/28-gauge coil and still fit it in the Kayfun...or the coil is going to be wider than the terminal posts, and/or too tall so the top cap (or bottom of the deck) hits it which will create a short.

So purely by the physical constraints of the most popular RTA out there, using the most common wire, building it at the most common resistance, I would think right around 2mm would then be considered the "standard" size since it's just right to fit in there (takes a deep breath so therefore, that's why I wouldn't consider 2mm to be a microcoil.

No offense to your nice tutorial - I'm just sayin'
    Tomato Tomahto.
    Chakris, DavidOH and retic1959 like this.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Calve View Post
    Tomato Tomahto.
    I was going to use the exact same reply but opted for the underwear guy instead.
    Chakris, DavidOH and retic1959 like this.
    "The fate of unborn millions will now depend, under God, on the courage and conduct of this army...we have therefore to resolve to conquer or die." General Washington July 2, 1776

*Fat Bob* Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Bronze, you showed it really is as easy as tying your shoe. cudos.
    Bronze, Chakris, tnt56 and 2 others like this.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Calve View Post
    Bronze, you showed it really is as easy as tying your shoe. cudos.
    Seems the less words and the more pictures the better, huh?
    Chakris, tnt56, Robino1 and 2 others like this.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast