Do you fiddle with your thingy? - Page 203
Page 203 of 212 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 2114
Like Tree1852Likes

Thread: Do you fiddle with your thingy?

Hello all, new user here. I did a bunch of research before jumping in and ended up with an IBtanked setup on an Ego Twist for my first setup. I have some question on the IBtanked and some general vaping questions as well. Hope to get some help and hopefully the responses will help others as well:

-I ordered extra O-rings and washers for spares. Turns out they already give you extra O-rings to start with. Maybe I missed it, but they should say this as it's a bit of wasted money.

-About those spare O-rings. They are two different sizes. Are these one set for the outside of the caps and one for the inner seal that touches the carto? It's hard to tell size wise when they aren't installed.

-The directions talk about wetting the O-rings with juice, but doesn't say which ones. Are they taking about the tank seal or the carto seal or both?

-I got the tank tool. It is helpful, but not so sure this is really a big deal as I got a needle tip for my juice bottle and it seems for filling it wouldn't be a big deal without it. I could be wrong though. I did use it to do a hot-swap and it paid for itself right there. The main reason I want it though is for it to protect the seals, but I'm not so sure it does this. When pushing in the carto with the tool on it still "grabs" or "catches". If you attach the tool on the top of the carto when it's in the tank and look down, you can clearly see that the outer diameter of the carto is wider than the tool, so the carto is still hitting the O-rings. Thoughts?

-I bought a needle tip for my e-juice. I found this very helpful in filling the carto and the tank. I saw no need to stick a toothpick in the center hole of the carto as you can easily direct the juice. It also makes it very easy to get into the top of the tank and around the carto. However, I have a couple logistics problems with it that I'd like to find a solution for. It happened to fit on the top of the e-juice bottles that I bought, but I'm wondering if this is standard and I can expect it to work for most everyone's bottles?

There is no way to cap it though and I don't really want to go back and forth putting it on and the original tip for the bottle, that's just too much hassle when your going to use juice all the time.

I did buy another bottle that has a metal need tip with a silicone cap. Anyone use those? I'd have to dump out the juice into it and I'm wondering if I'm then losing some juice that will inevitably stay in the original bottle.

I see they have syringes for sale as well, but this seems a hassle as well and I'm guessing this is more for people to use once they start mixing their own juice and just use it to suck out from a bigger bottle? I can't Imagine popping tops off the little bottles all the time and then having to wash the syringe all the time, etc....

-I noticed on the bottom of the carto, in the two notches on the side of the connector they had turned a goldish color that washed off. This wasn't on my new carto I just installed, so is this something that happens for the heat?

-I goofed tonight. I wanted to fill the tank and did two things wrong. First I popped off the end cap and forgot that I read you aren't supposed to do this. I also topped off the filler inside the carto. Now I had poor performance afterwards and that's why I did the hot-swap. Since I think I did two things wrong, I need help narrowing down what caused the issue.

Topping off seemed to not work because the fluid just sat on top because there is now no longer any draw from the bottom as it's tanked. I got some gurgling noises, but I'm unsure if this is gurgling from flooding or just because there's some juice sitting at the top? I definitely didn't get juice in the middle hole, but can taking the top cap off cause the flooding? I was getting the gurgling and reduced taste, the draw changed etc...so I just put a new carto in. Could I have fixed the flooding if that was what happened?

-About priming. I just used the needle tip and did the "thermometer" shake, back and forth for about 5 minutes. This was my first time doing it and had no issues firing everything up for the first time. This leads me to not want to bother with either a toothpick or the condom method. However, using the "thingy" seems even less hassle. Is this just as effective as top-filling the carto? I heard the fiddling method only fills the bottom of the carto, however, I'm not so sure that's a problem as once you start vaping all the juice seems to be gone from the top layer of filler anyhow. I'm still just wondering if that initial priming that I did is better than using the thingy, since I understand that the initial priming is most important in the longevity of the carto and quality of vape.

Ok folks, sorry I was so long-winded, but hopefully some kind soul or souls will tackle this post.

Thanks in advance!
    TimV30 likes this.

Update:

Getting frustrated as I'm having issues with the new carto. Just filled that new one and hot swapped it. I was getting a little gurgling. So I take it off and see that there's juice somehow coming out the bottom. That's flooding right? When there's juice getting in the center/air hole, that's what flooding is? I don't understand how this is happening. I blew out the juice from the bottom of the carto. I figured that was the fix. Well, everything I put it back on and take a drag, it happens again. I don't know it does that, but it's amazing how much it affects the vape. I also think I'm getting a bit in my mouth and it's making my tongue numb.

So frustrated. Everything went to smoothly the first time around and now I'm having trouble. It's a big deal to me as now I'm gonna probably have to buy a pack of analogs until I get this straightened out.

Blabbertypist Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I don't know too much yet about cartotanks, as I've only just started using plain cartos, but I can tell you that syringes are infinitely useful, but most especially for filling clearomizers that aren't completely clear, the kind with metal sleeves; I can use a dropper bottle just fine in a clear tank, but when all you have to see by is a little sliver of window, you need all the precision in juice placement you can get. They're also useful if you want to precisely measure how much you're adding to a tank; some dropper bottles allow the insertion of a needle as large as 18ga, so you don't need to pop the dropper off, but even if you do, so what? No biggie! The needle-top bottles are extremely useful, but some of them are so cheaply made that juice oozes around the bottle threads and all over the place, the minute you put any pressure on the bottle. Syringes are far neater, and really aren't that hard to clean up -- hot water and then purified water takes care of it nicely.

As I said, don't know much yet about cartotanks; I do know that when a plain carto gurgles no matter how many times you blow thru the end, you've simply put too much juice in it, and need to introduce the corner of a paper towel to the top to *gently* sop some of it up, probably several times. I'm not exactly sure of the physics involved in cartotanks, so I can't really grasp how a carto that's inside a tankful of liquid *isn't always* in that condition, but apparently it's not. What you described, liquid just standing at the top of the carto, is DEFINITELY too much juice!

I'm sure some of the cartotank experts can probably help you get it sorted; this IBT crowd seems as helpful as the rest of the ECFers.

Andria

Smoke-free and

Thanks for the tips. I probably could have saved the first carto, but too late now. The second one is a mystery though, not sure why it was flooding, but it seems it has subsided after vaping for a bit. Maybe I'm just overfilling the carto.

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aman74 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I probably could have saved the first carto, but too late now. The second one is a mystery though, not sure why it was flooding, but it seems it has subsided after vaping for a bit. Maybe I'm just overfilling the carto.
    Sounds like it. Actually the capacity of the tank is why I think I'll like the cartotanks a great deal; the plain cartos need topping up pretty frequently, but they sure are handy when I don't feel like messing with a tank or a coil; they're also really good for driving.

And yeah, I've noticed sometimes when I have a bit of a gurgle, if I just try to vape thru it, it does ease up, as some of the juice gets used up.

Andria

EDIT: I meant to add, this thread is fairly well down the list, on the 2nd or 3rd pg I think; if you don't get any really helpful responses here, it's probably because of it being so far down, not many will see it; you might try opening a new thread, either in the new members' forum, or in a forum dedicated to cartos/cartotanks, so it can be more easily seen.
    Last edited by AndriaD; 04-10-2014 at 05:59 AM.

Smoke-free and

OCD

Blowing into a cartomizer that is in a tank will create pressure in the tank which once the blowing quits means that pressure will equalize, if there is liquid at the holes going into the cartomizer it will simply push more liquid into the already over saturated filler. I like to use the refilling drip tip to lower the cartomizer holes below the bottom cap then blow it gently into a paper towel or simply vape it down while it is in this position where it cannot get more liquid inside of the cartomizer.

The other thing as Andria noted is vaping through it. The important thing here is understanding the mechanics of how the liquid is coming into the cartomizer. I say this because by varying the style in which you vape you can change how much liquid is pulled in. A short hard draw will pull in more liquid than a long light draw as far as the ratio of time on the button spent atomizing per volume coming in. I have also seen a lot of people with flooding problems due to what I would call a kindling habit, you know when a cigarette dies down or a pipe or cigar had gone to ember? Well it would take a few short puffs to get it going then take that draw. With a cartomizer tank though every vacuum/equalize cycle draws liquid into the filler regardless of how much is being atomized and removed so the longer you stay on the button and the lighter draw with its lower vacuum the balance will tip away from too wet.

Same ideas at work here re popping the cap off to fill. When you do that the cap acts like a piston building pressure in the tank, that pressure will push the liquid from the tank into the filler and of course out all over the place if the filler is already saturated.

My preference if for the thingy method of filling. It is just too easy and clean. You are correct in that the top of the filler doesnt need to look wet. We only sell single coil cartomizers because they make sense in a tank, a dual coil will have one up higher than the other meaning the wet level needs to be higher to keep it from burning with a single coil you have more range in just how wet the cartomizer is that it will vape fine in because the coil is down in the bottom. Very important not to put too much power to a cartomizer until you are certain there is liquid in contact with the coil, thats the idea behind the short taps on the power button while taking a normal full draw. Those draws will pull the liquid to the center of the cartomizer where the coil is and the short pulses of power will prevent it from getting hot enough to scorch. Once the liquid is to the coil the conversion from liquid to vapor will pull that power off.

This should be in the Description of every set of caps on the site.
    Caps come in a pair with orings installed and a spare set of orings are included.
    I am guess you have the 19mm Tank because yes the inside and outside orings are very close to each other. If you look closely though two of them are a slightly larger diameter and a little thinner than the other two. Those are the inside orings. The inside orings for all of our caps are 10.1 x 1.6mm and the outside of the 19mm caps are 9.5 x 2mm so you can see there is enough of s difference to discern by eye but you have to compare them to each other to spot it.

Most often when I found a "catch" with the refilling drip tip it had been from tilting it over while sliding the cartomizer through. You want to hold that top cap while inserting the cartomizer so your fingers can kind of get into the way so thats something to watch for. I personally dont have any other tank tool and dont feel the need to though there are others that many have posted that are better quality, they of course are not $2.50 so that is a consideration.

I hope you can get things sorted because I have found cartomizer tanks to be about the best vape for the least amount of fuss. Cartomizer tanks certainly are not for everyone but if you can find that balance of vaping style and hardware that suits you it will quickly settle in.

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

That was a really helpful post for me, since I'm about to start with the cartotanks myself. I have that kindling habit now, with clearos, mainly because it's hard to get enough vapor with mouth-pulls as opposed to lung-pulls, but apparently they won't be a good idea at all with cartotanks -- I've noticed that I don't really need to do that with cartos, though, so maybe it's just that these clearos I have are too "airy," and I noticed right away that one of the things I liked best about cartos was the harder pull, it's closer to the feeling I got from drawing on a cigarette -- and I do seem to get plenty of vapor even with one long slow mouth-pull. Maybe I should just try to cover one of the air holes in my clearos, to break that kindling habit before I get a cartotank and mess it up with too much puffing.

thx!!!
    Andria

Smoke-free and

Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

FYI - random thoughts here:

I never top up or touch a carto after the initial fill_ever_.

I play with my thingy and tis the only way I fill cartos now.

Juice on the inner rings always, and I put the tank tool on a carto to thread it through the tank to keep edges from the O-rings. **Any** chewing of an O-ring is bad news! It only takes the smallest of tears to do damage.

I never fill a tank more than 3/4 full. A full tank just seems to have issues.

Am quick to toss a carto if it pulls hard, or starts to taste harsh at all. That said, I vape 6-8mls daily, and use 2-3 cartos a week.
    gerrymi likes this.

Peter_C is Saving for a *COLORED* Billet Box ~ Loves his Billet Box

OCD

Andria, good to hear there were some clues in there for you. I know I say it all the time but it really is all about a balance, there is a dance that one performs with a cartomizer tank the same way you have to with any other delivery system. Some folks like a mosh pit while others prefer a waltz (Cartomizer Tanks are the waltz BTW ), finding that rhythm that suits both you and your partner is what vaping bliss is all about and also why you see such impassioned posts all the time about various methods of delivery. You might read something that describes nirvana using something that did not work for you at all. Why is that? Its because they were dancing to a different tune.

Good random thoughts there Peter, other than the how full to fill I am 100% on board. I will fill my tanks right up the bottom of the caps but then I use the 22s so there is a recess for an air bubble even if you dont see it.

Why is it important to have some air bubble? Well if you think about it air will expand with the slight vacuum we are placing on it during our draw. Liquid will not expand in this way so if there is no air in the tank at all it can be difficult if not impossible for the vacuum cycles to pull in the liquid from the tank in effect vapor locking the tank.

Sounds like you are getting 15 to 25mls through each cartomizer based on your use. Personally I think thats a fair estimate and one that folks should expect though the kind of liquid used and the level of power to resistance plays a big role here. My main vape is a clear liquid I mix myself 1 part Flavor Arts Watermelon to 4 parts Base (Base is 60PG/40VG 20mg Nic). This comes out to 16mg 70/30 and The Mrs will add 10% TFA Peach to this for her Peachy Melon that she often vapes. We both go through times of trying something different and I always keep a contrast flavor around to bring the taste buds back if I start losing the flavor.

Thing is this clear light liquid used at low power (7.5W and 3.2ohm) gives a nice rich vape that will usually see two or three times the normal expected life from a cartomizer and then when we change them they are still going just not quite a sizllin goodness that a fresh one puts out. Now a dark sweet liquid in a Halfling tank is a very different story where I have changed them out around 6mls, wouldnt want that to be my main but for a treat and special form factor that just looks sharp on the right device I just love em.

Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Yuppers - more precise point on the air. My hands are none too steady, so by shooting for 3/4 full, at least I have 'some' air

My mix is a bit harder I think - various vendor bought Vanilla(s) at 65PG/35VG 24mg NIC. I then mix them together for a 'surprise vanilla blend (custards, french, ice cream, caramel, ultimate, etc) after aging, very dark brown colored. Now, my black licorice which is completely clear (my contrast vape 1-2mls daily), I can't even remember when I last changed the carto - weeks anyhow. All I do is 2-3ohm at 8 watts. Enough to be warmish and great taste - am not cloud-chasing.
    gerrymi likes this.

Peter_C is Saving for a *COLORED* Billet Box ~ Loves his Billet Box