Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Charging Time for New 510 Batteries

  1. #1
    Full Member ECF Veteran lauraeleven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    75

    Default Charging Time for New 510 Batteries

    It dosen't say anywhere in the instructions on how long you should charge new batteries, the light on the charger changed from red to green in 30 minutes.

    I have seen differing opinions on how long to charge anywhere from 4 to 12 hours......I just want to do this right the first time.

    Anyone want to share their experience of batt maintence and charging tips?

    I also bought a PCC for it which is plugged into my computer right now, the instructions on that say 4 hours charge up.

    The waiting is the hardest part.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North West Indiana
    Posts
    21

    Default

    The manual for mine said to charge it for 8 hours even if the light turns green. But I've also heard that it doesn't matter as long as the light turns green it cuts current to the battery. I'm not quite sure. I would charge it for 8 hours just to be safe.

  3. #3
    DC2
    DC2 is offline
    I'm Chucked Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    DC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    17,567

    Default

    I wish I could answer you question, but instead I will pile on a question of my own.

    I just got my Yeti 510 with manual batteries and I LOVE it so much after struggling with my NPro for a few days. But the only, and I mean only problem I have is with the charger.

    The first battery I charged it flickered red and green until I jiggled it around, and then it went red and stayed there until (supposedly) the battery was charged. The second time I charged one it was green and stayed green and I could not get it to go red so now I don't really know if it charged or not. The third time it started green, and I checked it awhile later and it was red, jiggled it a bit and it went green.

    I am assuming, or at least hoping, that my charger is just lame and a new one (or two) would be a good thing. But then I wonder if maybe their chargers are just lame in general, so I have been meaning to ask.

    The one good thing about my NPro was that the charger was solid.
    This 510 charger I got seems to be a piece of cheap junk to be perfectly honest.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North West Indiana
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadcat2 View Post
    I wish I could answer you question, but instead I will pile on a question of my own.

    I just got my Yeti 510 with manual batteries and I LOVE it so much after struggling with my NPro for a few days. But the only, and I mean only problem I have is with the charger.

    The first battery I charged it flickered red and green until I jiggled it around, and then it went red and stayed there until (supposedly) the battery was charged. The second time I charged one it was green and stayed green and I could not get it to go red so now I don't really know if it charged or not. The third time it started green, and I checked it awhile later and it was red, jiggled it a bit and it went green.

    I am assuming, or at least hoping, that my charger is just lame and a new one (or two) would be a good thing. But then I wonder if maybe their chargers are just lame in general, so I have been meaning to ask.

    The one good thing about my NPro was that the charger was solid.
    This 510 charger I got seems to be a piece of cheap junk to be perfectly honest.
    I just got my first 510 the other day and the charger for mine works. I've herd that they work pretty well. You may have gotten a lemon.

  5. #5
    Full Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eastern US
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Ok, asking about charging batteries is risking starting WWIII sometimes around here because there are so many different opinions, but I'll tell you what my instructions said and what my experience has been.

    My instructions (and most 510/YETI/Titan instructions) say for the initial charge to charge the battery for a full 8 hours, use the battery for 20 minutes, then charge again for 1 hour. After that, you're ready to go and can recharge at will and/or when needed. I followed those directions for my manual and auto 510 (Yeti) batteries and they worked very well....until yesterday when one died. But never mind that, most people will tell you to follow those directions which is called conditioning the batteries. I don't know why it has to be done that way, but that's what my (and a lot of other people's) instructions said to do so I did it.

    For the PCC, I got no instructions with mine so I just went ahead and charged it for 4 hours and it seemed to run down fast so I charged it for 12 hours the second time, and it's worked great since then.

    With the PCC, once it has charged the battery, make sure to take the battery out of the PCC or the battery will drain the charge in your PCC as the battery keeps pulling the charge, even though it's fully charged. I found that out the hard way. So you can use a PCC to charge a battery but not to store a battery in.

    Deadcat2, your charger sounds wonky. I think I'd contact my supplier and ask for a replacement, just to be sure. The charger for my 402 had weird lights that went from green to red and red to green and changed when you bumped it, but my 510 charger is reliably red when I first put the battery in, then goes green after about 30 to 45 minutes and stays green even if I touch it or bump it. It sounds like you might have a short in the wire or something, and that would make me nervous since I tend to leave mine plugged into the wall overnight (I know...I shouldn't do that but I like to live dangerously)

  6. #6
    DC2
    DC2 is offline
    I'm Chucked Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    DC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    17,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calumet King View Post
    II've herd that they work pretty well. You may have gotten a lemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedikeys View Post
    Deadcat2, your charger sounds wonky. I think I'd contact my supplier and ask for a replacement, just to be sure.
    Just did, thanks for the feedback.

  7. #7
    Full Member ECF Veteran lauraeleven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Thanks, 8 hours that sounds good to me.

    Also brings up another question which others have raised , is it safe to leave batteries in the charger for long periods of time.....like overnight or all day or does it matter??? time to get stupid questions out of the way. lol


    Quote Originally Posted by Calumet King View Post
    The manual for mine said to charge it for 8 hours even if the light turns green. But I've also heard that it doesn't matter as long as the light turns green it cuts current to the battery. I'm not quite sure. I would charge it for 8 hours just to be safe.

  8. #8
    Full Member ECF Veteran lauraeleven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Thanks SpeediKeys, I did read here that you should not leave the batt in the PCC after it is charged, thats a great bit of info for PCC users.

  9. #9
    Member nofumar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I get nervous about leaving batteries on the charger overnight, because I may sleep in, or forget about them in the morning. I found one of those timer gizmos that you can set to shut off after a certain amount of time and that seems to give me some peace of mind.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadcat2 View Post
    The first battery I charged it flickered red and green until I jiggled it around, and then it went red and stayed there until (supposedly) the battery was charged.
    My charger is doing that too. I'm getting between 65-75 three second drags per charge, I have no idea if that's fully charged or not.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •