Taste like plastic?
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Taste like plastic?

  1. #1
    Full Member ECF Veteran WarrLordd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    111

    Default Taste like plastic?

    Well am not sure if it's the flavor now since i started to use back my 401 yestaday...

    But anyways i have a 510 that burns red hot when i hold on it.. And i think i may or may not have burn the plastic under (going to remove the bridge in a few) But man it's the worst thing i tasted since i started to vape.. It's almost taste like a really bad marlboro or some crap. I blame my self really cause i been home this weekend in a lazy mood.. and sometimes while using my laptops i rest the ecig on the bed next to me and then all of sudden it gets under me and burns me lolz..

    And funny thing is am using Ry4 which is a sweet flavour..

    I have a second atty also not dead but don't produce much as it use to.. Anyway i can bring it back to full?
    Vaping the sweet life. M401,Joye 510 :oops:

  2. #2
    Forum Supplier ECF Veteran Dkrom68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Backwoods NY USA
    Posts
    5,288

    Default

    Are your carts burning on the bottom and are you keeping them wet


    Gratefulvaper.Com Get your I06 and 306 Sleeves

  3. #3
    Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Kurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WarrLordd View Post
    Well am not sure if it's the flavor now since i started to use back my 401 yestaday...

    But anyways i have a 510 that burns red hot when i hold on it.. And i think i may or may not have burn the plastic under (going to remove the bridge in a few) But man it's the worst thing i tasted since i started to vape.. It's almost taste like a really bad marlboro or some crap. I blame my self really cause i been home this weekend in a lazy mood.. and sometimes while using my laptops i rest the ecig on the bed next to me and then all of sudden it gets under me and burns me lolz..

    And funny thing is am using Ry4 which is a sweet flavour..

    I have a second atty also not dead but don't produce much as it use to.. Anyway i can bring it back to full?
    As dkrom86 said, look at the part of the cart that goes inside the atty. If there are little "bites" taken out of the plastic, then yes, you are burning plastic. But it sounds more like you are letting the atty get too starved for liquid. If you drip a few drops on the bridge and vape that, either without a cart (tail-piping) or with an empty cart, does it do the same thing? Chances are this is just a dry atty. You really want to avoid that, not only to not have the awful taste, which can burn the nose, but the atty is running too hot and will cook residuals onto the coil...making it ultimately weak, clogged or dead.

    Bringing a weak atty back is something that many here are always trying to do. Hot water flush with blowing out can work. Also Crest Health-Pro mouthwash (no alcohol) as a soak for 15 min followed by hot water flushing can help this. Check out this Joye 510 forum. Lots of discussion and people are coming up with new methods to do this every week.

    I would consider the ZFM cart mod. Its easy if you have an xacto knife and a silicone cart cap, and a drinking straw. Or aquarium blue foam is another good filler. These cart mods try to do two things: keep juice flowing evenly to the bridge and to empty the cart before needing to refill. Make the cart work as it is supposed to, which generally mean not using stock poly filler, and the atty will get less clogs or dry spells or run too hot, all of which lead to weak or dead attys. I have most certainly increased my attys lifetime by using ZFM, but there are a whole slew of 510 cat mods here.

    It is a learning curve using the 510, and people tend to kill or weaken attys a lot in the beginning, mainly from not letting them work as they are supposed to. I most certainly did. You should have more than one backup atty (or batt). Buy some. Sales are ubiquitous, and some of the china places are always very low in price all the time. I never pay more than $7 for mine, and I buy several at a time, and have about 30. Same for batts. Attys were never meant to last more than about a month, if that. If you get more than that, you are doing very well. And if the atty is working properly, due to a cart that is working properly, even cleaning is something that is infrequent. I hardly need to clean mine at all anymore.

    Good luck, and keep vaping...and make sure you can keep vaping, no matter what.
    Deciding not to smoke is one thing. Forgetting to smoke is a different animal altogether.

  4. #4
    Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Kurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,193

    Default

    Also, if there is no liquid, the 510 atty is supposed to glow red hot. With liquid on the bridge and coil, it should not, as the liquid boiling keeps the temp from getting much higher than the boiling point of the liquid.
    Deciding not to smoke is one thing. Forgetting to smoke is a different animal altogether.

  5. #5
    Full Member ECF Veteran WarrLordd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Hey guys thanks.. Well i was going to try it yestaday but never got the chance to... just try it a few min ago..

    Well i took out the bridge so i can expose the coil.. When i looked into it i notice the coil was not directly in the middle of the sink it was more in the corner.. As i looked closer i seen a few strands of fiber hairs burned in the corner of it.. so i took a pin and gently move the coil back in the middle and dry burnt the hairs out.. Now it's vaping very good.. thanks
    Vaping the sweet life. M401,Joye 510 :oops:

  6. #6
    Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Kurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WarrLordd View Post
    Hey guys thanks.. Well i was going to try it yestaday but never got the chance to... just try it a few min ago..

    Well i took out the bridge so i can expose the coil.. When i looked into it i notice the coil was not directly in the middle of the sink it was more in the corner.. As i looked closer i seen a few strands of fiber hairs burned in the corner of it.. so i took a pin and gently move the coil back in the middle and dry burnt the hairs out.. Now it's vaping very good.. thanks
    You removed the bridge?? As in took it out? The fibers were likely the wick that is part of the atty design, to get juice to the coil better. If you removed the wick and the bridge entirely, then that atty is likely only going to work for dripping.

    OTOH, you may well be calling the bridge the coil. The bridge is the half loop that sticks up into the cart, covered with sort of steel wool. The coil is underneath that, surrounded by a white rectangle. That is what gets hot when activated by the batt, not so much the bridge, which will get worm, but is not directly having currect pass thru it. It does sound like you removed the wick, which means the atty may work fine, or it might die very soon. Both times I did that (pulled the little white fibers out) the atty worked like a champ for about 20 minutes then died cold.

    Hope you get lucky and its ok for a while! In the future, however, it is always best to ask here before you start removing parts of the atty...unless you have a lot of spars and want to just experiment on one. Good luck!
    Deciding not to smoke is one thing. Forgetting to smoke is a different animal altogether.

  7. #7
    Full Member ECF Veteran WarrLordd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Yea it's what i did and reason so.. cause phee told me to :-p

    Removing the wick

    But it works better than before
    Vaping the sweet life. M401,Joye 510 :oops:

  8. #8
    Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Kurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WarrLordd View Post
    Yea it's what i did and reason so.. cause phee told me to :-p

    Removing the wick

    But it works better than before
    Glad its working better! So to be clear, you removed the bridge or just the wick threads? And are you using a filled cart or just dripping?

    I saw Phee's thread when it was posted, and he removed the bridge for dripping only, I believe. I don't see how it would work well with a filled cart, but I've not done this. Even if it is drip only, I would be interested in how long the atty lasts. If you make sure it is kept wet, it should be fine for a while, based on my understanding of the atty.
    Deciding not to smoke is one thing. Forgetting to smoke is a different animal altogether.

Bookmarks