Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Bloomberg: “E-cigs as good as patch” - ECF Infozone Article

Post Bloomberg: “E-cigs as good as patch” - ECF Infozone Article

A new article has been posted on the ECF Infozone: Something outgoing New York Mayor Bloomberg said, on the occasion of his signing of the city’s public use ban on e-cigarettes, has been sticking in my mind ever since. When asked whether electronic cigarettes could be considered an effective smoking cessation method, Bloomberg said: “It works about as well as patches, which is to say [...]
    The post Bloomberg: “E-cigs as good as patch” appeared first on ECF InfoZone. Article by Gary Cox

Go and read it Here...!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Interesting

Bloomberg said: “It works about as well as patches, which is to say it really doesn’t work”.
    The whole point of an e-cig is to use it INSTEAD of smoking.

Patches are mostly ineffective at keeping people off cigarettes long-term. They are NRT and work, but quitting nicotine permanently is the tough bit. This is where e-cigs are a a revolution. Quit or never quit, but do it SAFER.
    DJS. MVP v.2 / SID / Nemesis + Sigelei 8w / Vamo V5 / Spinners / iTasteVV and even cig-a-likes.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Smoking addiction is not all about nicotine. Patches only address nicotine cravings and not in any real adjustable way.( except for minor increase and decrease in dosages applied to the patch) They do nothing to address oral fixations and that empty feeling some may get when reaching in your pocket and nothing is there. The e-cig, for me at least, addressed all the addictions, fixations and habits that went along with cigarettes. As we all know, tobacco, patches, pills, and ecig issues are about money, taxes and the elite who control or wish to control them.

wt

Blog Entries

The patch never worked for me. Two weeks was the best i was able to do with the patch. The ecig i am at 3 weeks off analogs and i have not struggled to make that happen as i did when i was on the patch. Heck i even struggled 7 1/2 months cold turkey. Every morning waking up was a struggle but not when i have the ecig. I am almost betting that if i had 0 nic i would be able to use that 3/4 of the day. But instead of rushing off the nic i am lowering it first.

I have thought some about this, and my conclusion to these ridiculous "e-cigs does not help people to quit smoking" studies/surveys, I think is due to crappy cig-a-likes. If they were do a completely impartial study, on people who use Ego's, mods or good, quality cig-a-likes that actually do put out a decent amount of vapor; the end result would be extremely different. And don't forget, these studies are probably funded and lobbied by the pharmaceutical companies (which probably have connections with the tobacco companies as well). Big pharma is a COMPANY. Their purpose is not in first hand to help people but to make money, like most any other business. E-cigs are a big threat to the NRT part of their industry, and for tobacco companies, it's an even bigger threat since these futuristic 'cigarettes' may very well kill their entire industry.

It's a f'ed up, corrupt world, people. It's all about money. The government couldn't care less about your health.
    Just Me, jpargana and EleanorR like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I willing to bet that my Reo, with a 30A battery and 18mg nic has a better chance of keeping me from cigarettes than if i were covered in patches!

It's no surprise that people have such a hard time quitting when idiots in government that have either not done or ignored the research assume that a cigalike and a cartridge limited to 4mg will be at all effective.

T
    Just Me and ykalon like this.

You are what you eat? I don't remember eating a sexy beast this morning!

this looks to me to be just another way of keeping the "vaping is the same thing as smoking" argument alive and that is the only way a ban can work. vaping can be a way to quit smoking but you don't have to quit to vape and you don't have to vape to quit its something else that IS healthier and so far no studies have shown any cause for a ban. oh and I think the casaa has a link to a statement from the center of disease control and prevention showing that in 2009 ecigs were way more effective than the patch anyway

Sure they do... that's why the worked sooooo well for game players confined to the Big Brother house.... NOT!!!! BP got in there thinking they would get some good advertising... another NOT!!! Now if an ecig mfg co could do the same with the PC BB staff, that would be great.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

As much as I trust his news service (though I can't remember if he still owns it), Michael Bloomberg has a habit of putting his foot in his mouth in regards to public health issues. I hadn't heard of the New Zealand study until now, and while I think it's interesting information, I think it's more something to add to the growing body of scientific evidence, than something that has any value in being quoted by either side. Just because something is "about as effective" in scientific terms, it doesn't mean that vaping should be suppressed, it means that it's just another option.

I couldn't give less of a damn about what the government, the surgeon general, a warning label or the myriad of different lobbyists out there say. FACT: I tried gum. I tried the patch. I tried wellbutrin. I tried chantix. I tried cold turkey. Always went back to cigarettes. I smoked my last cigarette on the way to a B and M vape store and haven't even wanted one since.
    jpargana likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast