Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: URGENT - NYS Outright Sales Ban On the AGENDA Again

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BadThad View Post
    Horrible bill!

Will they even accept out of state comments?
    Here's how I handled the out-of-state issue:

Subject: Please vote NO on A01468 (electronic cigarettes)!

Dear Assemblymember _________,

I'm very disheartened to hear of the bill that would ban the sale of electronic cigarettes in New York. I switched to an electronic cigarette almost two years ago after smoking for more than 30 years. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

There are several companies I order from in New York, so this will affect me directly, as well as thousands of others around the country. My deeper concern, however, is for all the former smokers in New York who have already switched to electronic cigarettes, and for the current smokers who might never have the opportunity to choose to do so.

The American Association of Public Health Physicians estimates the risks of using e-cigarettes to be "much less than 1%" of the risk of smoking traditional cigarettes. It makes no sense to ban the least dangerous product while leaving the most dangerous on the shelves. This would be a terrible blow to the health of New Yorkers--and it plays directly into the hands of Big Tobacco, which would of course prefer that people continue to smoke.

Banning e-cigarette sales to minors is, of course, warranted. Banning sales to adults is unconscionable.

Please, I urge you to vote "no" on A01468.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely
    Last edited by Treece; 01-22-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: typo

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBloog View Post
    I'm from CA - so, snail mail won't reach NY by Tues -- I have sent emails, and will begin faxing tomorrow.

By the way, why the late notice? Did the notice to convene for a vote only just now appear? Any chance we could get more advanced notice on these votes? We're here to help out in any way!
    I've been watching the NYS legislative pages carefully PapaBloog, both the Senate and the Assembly, knowing this bill has been proposed for both houses. When I discovered earlier today that the bill was on Tuesday's agenda for the Assembly Health Committee, I checked the Assembly rules, and sure enough, all they have to provide by way of notice of committee meeting agendas is by Thursday of the week before the meeting, as follows: "In addition, copies of such agenda shall be made available not later than such Thursday to rep-resentatives of the news media and to the general public by the filing thereof with the Legislative Library and the Assembly Public Information Office." From: Assembly Rules (see, 2b).

That's why we have to get going on the Senate Health Committee soon too, even though we have no idea when (or if) the Senate version of the bill will be on its agenda. More on this tomorrow!

In case anyone's wondering WHY I still have the SD as my sig, it's because I got my first ecig in January 2008 but still smoked for 10 months, until I got my first SD. I have other APVs, but also still love and use my SD (with a Bulli on top). I will be forever grateful to Trog for saving my life!

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Treece View Post
    Excellent letter, and wonderful ideas for out-of-staters. Thank you Treece!

In case anyone's wondering WHY I still have the SD as my sig, it's because I got my first ecig in January 2008 but still smoked for 10 months, until I got my first SD. I have other APVs, but also still love and use my SD (with a Bulli on top). I will be forever grateful to Trog for saving my life!

IOU
    Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran IOU's Avatar

Subject: Please vote NO on A01468 (electronic cigarettes)!

Dear Assemblymember _________,

I'm very disheartened to hear of the bill that would ban the sale of electronic cigarettes in New York. I switched to an electronic cigarette almost two years ago after smoking for more than 30 years. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

There are several companies I order from in New York, so this will affect me directly, as well as thousands of others around the country. My deeper concern, however, is for all the former smokers in New York who have already switched to electronic cigarettes, and for the current smokers who might never have the opportunity to choose do so.

The American Association of Public Health Physicians estimates the risks of using e-cigarettes to be "much less than 1%" of the risk of smoking traditional cigarettes. It makes no sense to ban the least dangerous product while leaving the most dangerous on the shelves. This would be a terrible blow to the health of New Yorkers--and it plays directly into the hands of Big Tobacco, which would of course prefer that people continue to smoke.

Banning e-cigarette sales to minors is, of course, warranted. Banning sales to adults is unconscionable.

Please, I urge you to vote "no" on A01468.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely
    Awesome letter!
    Sent.

CES
    optimistic cynic Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Janetda View Post
    Thanks YVilla! For National Vapers Club members, we're setting up Vapebans.com right now with auto emails. This is for anyone that wants the convenience using an auto email system.
    The auto email was great! I received an email from the vapers club, hit the link, and opened a message in my outlook program that was ready to go. It was beautiful. Thanks for setting it up.

On it!!! I stumbled it to Alan, as well.

ECF Veteran

I don't know if my out-of-state e-mail will help, but I've done what I could. If the NY state legislature is anything like ours they don't really bother researching this stuff before passing laws to regulate it. Perhaps if they get inundated with opposition they will think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
    If the NY state legislature is anything like ours they don't really bother researching this stuff before passing laws to regulate it. Perhaps if they get inundated with opposition they will think twice.
    They aren't going to do any research. All they see is there is a proposed ban regarding
    a "Behavior" that is NOT "Sociably acceptable". No harm in banning it.

Based on past experience... Emails mean little to nothing to our elected representatives.
    Most never even see them.

Full Member ECF Veteran

You have to at least try I dont want to become a criminal. N.Y. was one of the first to enact cig bans now they are nationwide even worldwide. Seems like we pave the way if it gets through here you better watch out where you are.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast