E cigs said hazardous - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: E cigs said hazardous

Ultra Member

Quote Originally Posted by 20ADAY View Post
    Having said that I would like to here some proper research regarding theses devices.. I feel healthier using my c-cig compared to real smokes, but if there are potentially negative effects I would like to know them as well.
    Precisely! I will continue esmoking regardless- unless it is shown somewhere that Esmoking is magnitudes worse than ciggs, but I'd at least liek to know what it is that I am smoking-

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

apologies are due to big Pharm..guess what? Thailand makes its own Nicotine gum now!

Yongyuth Tundulawessa used to be a heavy smoker, but kicked the habit. Now he intends to help others quit by introducing locally made nicotine gum.

The associate professor, who is deputy dean of the science faculty at Srinakharinwirot University's Prasarnmit campus, has registered the gum, Nicomild-2, with the Intellectual Property Department. It will be officially launched at the university on Tuesday.

With the registration, the university will become Thailand's first copyright owner of a nicotine gum formula
    The Nation which posted the original article also posted a story last year about Yongyuth Tundulawessa's admirable undertaking to help reduce the number of cigarette addicts..
    Our goal is to help at least 300 people quit smoking before the end of this year," said Assoc Prof Dr Yongyuth Tundulawessa, deputy dean for Planning and Development at the SWU

All a person wanting to quit needs to do is have a chat with a doctor over the phone, Yongyuth said.

"While having the conversation, the doctor will look for reasons behind the habit and will then give you the appropriate quitting technique," he said. "Those doctors are good at persuading and constant encouragement makes it easy to quit."

However, advice is not the only thing to help people quit. Participants will also be given free nicotine chewing gum, "Nicomild-2", developed by Yongyuth and SWU for free at the Lung Disease Hospital. The gum can also be bought at local drug stores
    AKA Lets get them addicted to my ......

it would be guess that the anonymous Dr Varanant Buejeap and the esteemed Yongyuth Tundulawessa if not one in the same are in league. I would not be slow in casting The Nation into the fire for good measure also.
    Last edited by dc2k08; 08-26-2008 at 12:27 AM.

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran leaford's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nazareth View Post
    I think we need to take a neutral approach here- neither belief nor disbelief. The Dentist may be able to back ht4e claims up, and she may not- we just don't know, but I don't htink we can just wave the claim away, but also don't htink we can believe it either- not until the doc backs up her claims with clinical reports.

Naz, you don't have to bend over backwards to give her the benefit of the doubt. She's making an extraordinary claim, the onus is on her to support it, not on us to be neutral. Not all claims are equal and there's no obligation to treat claims that run counter to all known evidence as valid until proven otherwise.

PV Master ECF Veteran

That "article" is a travesty. I spent my entire adult life as a journalist for reputable publications, where facts and truth were important. Attribution was important. Accuracy was important. No reader question was left unasked in an interview.

At Time/Life, there were researchers whose job was the check every fact before an article was printed. The article didn't get printed until there was a blue check mark above every fact.

You'd never see something as pathetic as this Thai "article" printed in the New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post or my papers, the St. Petersburg Times and The Tampa Tribune.

I guess I take personal offense at shoddy journalism.

Way to go, DC.

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran leaford's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dc2k08 View Post

the doctor's name is not searchable and it is certainly not mentioned anywhere at the university's site. this article was ran as a headline on yahoo which is strange in itself for such a minor publication to attract this kind of mainstream attention.
    Not really. Yahoo publishes The Nation all the time.

Ultra Member

Quote Originally Posted by leaford View Post
    Naz, you don't have to bend over backwards to give her the benefit of the doubt. She's making an extraordinary claim, the onus is on her to support it, not on us to be neutral. Not all claims are equal and there's no obligation to treat claims that run counter to all known evidence as valid until proven otherwise.
    I'm not tryign ot do that, I am though curious as to whether there is any truth to what she says- My hope is that it's all bubkis, but I also want to know if there indeed might be carcinogens, and if so, how many, and how severe might htey be- I'm an armchair medical/biology investigator, and I've learned that the bodies chemistry is a remarkable and complicated machine, and while her claims might be exaggerated, or outright false, if htere is soem basis of truth, I'd liek to know abotu it so that I know what we're takign in in fairly large quantities-

I personally am not all that concerned, as I still do smoek regular ciggs, but if there are soem carcinogens, I wantot know about them just for the sake of makign informed descions one way or hte other.

That's all I'm suggesting, not that we give her any benefit of doubt, or to outright dismiss her without knowing for sure- I just want hte truth one way or hte other.

Ultra Member

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalBob View Post
    That "article" is a travesty. I spent my entire adult life as a journalist for reputable publications, where facts and truth were important. Attribution was important. Accuracy was important. No reader question was left unasked in an interview.

At Time/Life, there were researchers whose job was the check every fact before an article was printed. The article didn't get printed until there was a blue check mark above every fact.

You'd never see something as pathetic as this Thai "article" printed in the New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post or my papers, the St. Petersburg Times and The Tampa Tribune.

I guess I take personal offense at shoddy journalism.

Way to go, DC.
    I agree TB- the article is very very shoddy, as I stated in previous post- I do blogging on my own site, and if there is soemthign that I am 'reporting on' (Blogging reporting, which is different than journalism reporting) that can't be verified, and shown so that the reader has evidence to back up the claims, I don't report on it- period. The National article was a very bad example of journalism in my opinion, but again, the 'what-if' comes into play now that hte article is out htere- and what I am after is the truth, as it pertains to a product I use heavily- Most likely htere isn't any truth, but what-if there is? I just want to know- that's all.

P.S I've used the Tampa tribune for soem info on stories i nthe past- woohoo (Yes, I know, hard ot beleive with my bad spelling I report on stuff lol, but I take my time as laboriuous as it is to make sure I write well)

Super Member ECF Veteran

@DC: if they do not respond, you could try pressuring them a bit by asking if the university stands behind Dr Varanant Buejeap's words/study. If that doesn't work, ask if she works there. It of course would help if you were journalist or researcher.
    Last edited by jigtg; 08-28-2008 at 02:22 PM.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I did send mails to 3 top-tier addresses listed on their site asking if there was anyone by that name who worked there and then some then other Q's. so far no responses and none from The Nation either. Perhaps school is still out for the summer though.

Mahidol University dental school researcher Dr Varanant Buejeap says
    This sentence suggest that tests might not have been carried out at the school but by a researcher who works at the school..

my thinking is still that whole story is bollix. just a case of prooving the guilty party/ies.

"bluejeap".... what sort of name is that anyway. Maybe Bob would know if there is some sort of watchdog media group we can get on the case.

PV Master ECF Veteran

Unfortunately, I don't. There is so much junk journalism around the globe that I would pity any watchdog group trying to investigate it. I stick with my bet that this "article" is a government ploy to brainwash the masses so a ban looks to be in the public's best interest.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)