Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Department of transportation rule would prohibit use of e-cigarettes on airlines

Super Member ECF Veteran crashinbrn's Avatar

Default Department of transportation rule would prohibit use of e-cigarettes on airlines

found this today

Source: Tobacco Law blog— Troutman Sanders LLP
    Date: 2011-10-11 Author: Troutman Sanders Tobacco Law Team
    tobacco@troutmansanders.com
    Department of Transportation Rule Would Prohibit Use of E-Cigarettes on Airlines — Troutman Sanders Tobacco Team
    ID: 327364

The U.S. Department of Transportation has issued a proposed rule to amend its existing airline smoking rule to explicitly ban the use of electronic cigarettes (“e-cigarettes”) on all aircraft in scheduled passenger interstate, intrastate and foreign air transportation. The smoking of cigarettes has been prohibited on airlines for a number of years, and the proposed rule would treat e-cigarettes the same as tobacco products.

The Department of Transportation indicated that it was taking this action because of the increased promotion of electronic cigarettes and the potential health and passenger comfort concerns that they pose in an aircraft. The proposed rule noted that “[e-cigarettes] are marketed as being permissible in places where cigarette use is prohibited.” The Department of Transportation went so far as to comment: “We see no reason to treat electronic cigarettes any differently than traditional cigarettes.”

The comment period on the proposed rule ends on November 14, 2011.
    Last edited by crashinbrn; 10-12-2011 at 03:32 AM.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Yeah it sounds like a typical lazy bureaucratic interpretation... Call it a cigarette and it is not allowed. No research, lots of misunderstanding and final judgment without consulting anyone who knows anything about it. Based on the assumption that it would offend those others on the aircraft who know nothing about what an E-cigarette is. It looks like smoke therefore it is evil, nasty and will harm everyone in the compartment.

EA MOD, SS GGTS, Nemesis Atmonixan, (2) Scubagen V3s, (2) Scubagen G-tank US, Genisis LV tank, Kayfun, Helios,

Super Member ECF Veteran

Why is it that they focus so much on cigarettes and/or vaping? I find it slightly ludicrous that alcohol creates quite a stench in the air and that is allowed and there are plenty of people who get belligerent while drinking...I'm not against people drinking either just wondering why one is allowed and the other demonized.
    Reddhott likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Does anyone involved in rule making have one iota of common sense or rational thought?
    Seriously it sure doesn't seem that way and this is happening from the government on down to website owners.
    I honestly cannot understand why being rational or sensible is so hard to implement whatever someone is involved in.
    C.B.
    GERGOZ likes this.
    Nudist Vapers
    Beliefs are impervious to facts-Rolygate

ECF Veteran

Take the survey at the Huffington post.

Survey
    Last edited by KeysBum; 10-19-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling

.................................................. .................And I haven't saved a dime.

CASAA Activist Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Better yet, let your voice be heard directly by the DOT.

CASAA has posted a Call to Action that contains a direct link to the form where the public can enter comments. CASAA.org

Comments must be submitted by Novermber 14, 2011.
    laurel099 likes this.

----
    Support CASAA -http://www.casaa.org/Donate_LKWE.html ---

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

This is really one part of the proposed "ban" that I am not sure I have a big problem with. Face it - you havent been able to smoke on an airline in years. We managed to do just fine on flights before e-cigs. Also, there is generally some smell associated with e-cigs. In an enclosed space with recirculated air it might bother others. I always was a considerate smoker and try to be a considerate e-cig user. Although I HATE to fly - and think my e-cig could improve the experience - I will just wait till I land.
    Sent from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away

Sno

Well at least it'll be considerably easier to get away with vaping in the bathroom then smoking is.

ECF Veteran

I literally am on 8 different flights every month commuting from my home in the FL Keys to my office in LA. I vape on every flight. BUT, to avoid problems, I don't billow vapor. I hold it then blow it down my shirt or into the blanket. 9 months of doing this on AA (already banned on AA). Only once did I have a FA say anything. The rules may suck and we should fight them. But if you're cool about it you can get away with it.

.................................................. .................And I haven't saved a dime.

Full Member ECF Veteran sheik124's Avatar

I posted this in another airline thread, but is it that tough to go to the lav and vape? The sink drain does a nice job of drawing all the vapor out of the bathroom.

If it's a US flight, it's 3 hrs long max, one or two trips to vape, if it's transatlantic, well, you could use the walking anyways, DVT/leg clots aren't fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast