Kids skipping class to smoke - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Kids skipping class to smoke

Full Member* ECF Veteran daveymist's Avatar

Is patches or gum considered tobacco products?

"The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Stoggy24's Avatar

I smoked in my senior year i would always go off property to smoke during lunch i was 18 still i come back from my smoke break deliver some messages to a p.e coach and he told me i smelled like smoke so he sent me to the office and i was like whys it matter if i smoke im leggal so instead of writing me up for smoking give me 2 out of school for going off the school grounds

Senior Member ECF Veteran

There was a smoking area in my High school in the 80's and as a Freshman it meant no more hiding like Jr High...Times have changed..now that I have kids I can't image a 14 being allowed to smoke at school like I was..I'm glad your son turned to vaping he is almost and adult anyway..plus it's keeping him in school..and not using tabacoo..Don't worry about what other people think it's your life...

Pink Spot Fanatic Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I started smoking at 14, my 3 best girl friends started at 13, 14 and 14, my husband started at 15. Most of the people I hung out with smoked well before 18 and a few dropped out of high school due to it interfering with their smoking habit. I myself had an off campus pass for lunch so I could smoke then. I would guess that the majority of smokers start before they are legally old enough to buy a pack of cigarettes. I only wish Vaping had been an option at that time as it may very well saved me 25 years of cigarette addiction.
    Welcome To ECF New Vapers!

PV Master* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

You did a good thing. It would be wrong if you didnt get him into vaping. I also started smoking at 15 and if i were able to vape i wouldnt have cut so much . Id be stealth vaping right in class while doing my work.My teachers probably wouldnt even mind it. I never got in trouble for cutting to smoke a cig since most of the time i was out there smoking and talking with teachers but it sure did effect my grades cutting all the time. If they had vaping when i was in high school i most likely would have not been a smoker all these years. Not sure if it would of helped smoking other stuff though although id much rather my kid smoke the other stuff then cigarettes lol.

DailyVapes
    1.DIY SDCookies2DIY Carapplecinna3DIY toffee4DIY GBCMods:1Provari2.VariMini3.BP4.Str8's modsPIF

Moved On ECF Veteran

I used to be one of those kids that nobody ever saw in the cafeteria. We used to cut lunch so we could smoke....unfortunately the punishment for leaving school property was lesser than the punishment for getting caught smoking on school property. We would also somehow form a nice enough crowd at the top of the hill for fire alarms and pass a cig around...

Wow...that brought back some memories

Full Member Verified Member

Yup, I started smoking three months before I turned 18. Thankfully I wasn't up to a pack a day until after I graduated, otherwise I probably would have cut some classes.

I'm of the opinion it's the parents job to educate their children, too much time was spent in my school preaching abstinence and the dangers of drug use. Instead of providing facts they tried to instill fear. Which I don't think worked so well since I personally toked with half of my graduating class of 500...great job Essex Highschool.

Super Member ECF Veteran bobthesalesclerk's Avatar

I probably payed a good $500 in fines during high school getting caught smoking in the bathroom. I would always skip class to smoke. I would rather see a teen vaping then smoking but tell him to be smart about it.

He should not be(even though he probably is)going around showing all his friends his cool new device. Tell him to be smart about it and h should be fine.

sent from my Ice Cream Sandwiched Gtablet

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Yes...Be Smart
    Be Safe!!!

Vaping Since 12/20/10 With No Analogs. REO 4 The Win!
    Donate to WE ARE VAPERS: www.indiegogo.com/WeAreVapers
    Join CASAA and Help Win the Fight! (it's Free!!):
    casaa.org

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have a son who now vapes with my permission and although I know it is against the law (he just turned 17 on the 6th of this month) I prefer he vape than smoke. My husband and I were both long-time smokers, I myself started when I was 15. He (my son) started "sneaking" cigs from our packs when he was 14... like we didn't know... We went through all the punishment crap with him and it really made me feel like such a hypocrite, but in my mind and heart I was trying to keep him from getting hooked and having to deal with the addiction I knew so well first hand. I knew he was going to smoke anyway (I did too, no matter how much trouble I got into) and we (my husband and I) turned into exasperated parents while my son turned into a sneaky liar. Not a great family scenario to say the least. After quite a while of constant conflict and ever increasing problems at school with him skipping and getting busted for smoking we basically had a sit down with him at home and told him we would rather he smoked in front of us (we knew he was doing it anyway) than sneak and lie. Anway, we/he have had to deal with skipping issues, getting busted by the police, going to court, paying fines, taking mandatory "tobacco awareness" classes, etc, etc... fortunately he curbed the skipping so much, but the smoking was still a big problem and all the education, punishment, saturday schools, detentions, suspensions, counseling, parent-school conferences and so on were not going to "make him quit" like they wanted to happen.
    When I decided to start vaping a little over a month ago, I started having the discussion about e-cigs vs. analogs with him and was surprized to learn that a few of his friends had the disposable "gas station" type, he had already tried them and was pretty excited and on board with me to quit smoking analogs and start vaping. So here we are.
    The first few weeks he took one of my PV's to school and I know he would go in the bathroom for a quick toot. He is not one to flaunt things, so keeping in on the DL was not a problem. He doens't even need to take it to school with him anymore, but vapes in the morning and when he gets home. I have noticed over the last month that he really doesn't even vape that much at home anymore. I am proud of him for not smoking and feel a little better as a parent for allowing him to vape instead of smoke. Ultimately, I would prefer he didn't do either, but that comes from my parental mindset and knowing first hand how hard it is to quit smoking. I wish I never would have started myself all those many years ago. I want the best for my children, as we all do. I also know the things I did in my teen years (and later... ) and try to deal with things like this with understanding. Although I don't condone all of the things I know he is doing... I have also been there and done it myself. For us, dealing with these issues openly and honestly has dramatically improved our relationships.
    I know this was long and rambling, but there are a few things I feel strongly about and I don't give a damn if others want to judge me or tell me I'm a bad parent. He is my kid. He is a great kid. Dealing with life issues is not one size fits all... and to this day I still have not recieved the "user manual" in the mail for my children... LOL!
    mmrock likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast