Kids skipping class to smoke
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Kids skipping class to smoke

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Kids skipping class to smoke

I know what you are all going to say but you can save it. I have tried everything under the sun to stop my 17 yr old son from smoking. He has been punished so many times at home as well as at school for smoking that its not even funny. He has started vaping as I will allow NO smoking in my house and as it turns out no longer needs to skip class as he can stealth vape in the bathroom after lunch and maybe once in between classes and I have not had a phone call for weeks that he is MIA from school. He always said he had to skip 10 min of class to smoke and it seems I hope that those days are over unless he gets caught vaping. The sign outside the school says no tobacco products so technically he isn't breaking the rules. So far vaping gave my son the ability to stay at school all day and I think that's a good thing.
    Lethalp likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran DietSalem's Avatar

I know what comments that you expect (And I expect them too) but I won't be giving them. I smoked in school, and to be honest, it's probably the reason I dropped out. I was a bad kid, getting in trouble all the time and during classes I was nic-fitting too hard to actually do well. I actually support your action if you as a parent think it's the right thing for YOUR child. Would I support my kid doing it? Probably not. But not every child is the same. The real important thing is that your kid is getting an education.
    AngelVapor likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I started my senior year in highschool, man I don't know how i did it (and it was only 6 years ago for me!) I remember chain smoking on the drive to school and then chain smoking right after school, and then going back for any after school activities.

Recently i was talking to my cousin who is in high school and smokes and the only reason she might want a pv is so she can use it at school. A little disappointing as If some one had told me about them in HS i would have been all over that. Course im kinda nerdy.

I think you are on the right track here mail man stalker. My reasons would be A. he's already a smoker B. his smoking was interfering with his education and C. hes your kid!

Oh! just remembered how i got through the school days, my mom gave me nic patches! Almost the same concept at work here.
    AngelVapor likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Whatever works for you. your the parent..Yeah I smoked in high school too.
    AngelVapor likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I work for a school system...I stealth vape.
    3 weeks ago, our school board "slipped" e-cigs in to their "no smoking" on school grounds policy.
    We didn't see it coming- heard it on the news. Now, I could get fired if I was seen vaping, even in my car in the parking lot (I do have tinted windows). Their point was, "e-cigs could lead kids to start smoking the real thing."
    A bunch of hog-wash, but warn your kid, if he's caught he is most likely to get punished and it will most likely cause a ruckas for his whole entire school district... He just needs to be smart about using an e-cig...it will only take one incident and administrators don't know that the e-cigs are helping him stop smoking, and frankly they are not likely to care as they only see these as devices that give him nicotine, and oh my my- and vaping nicotine must be just as harmful as smoking!!
    LeDean likes this.

Vaping Since 12/20/10 With No Analogs. REO 4 The Win!
    Join CASAA: casaa.org

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I had to pick my daughter up from school a couple weeks ago and I was waiting in the clinic for her to get her things when I noticed a huge corkboard filled with anti-smoking posters, etc.

While I applaud the schools attempt to discourage smoking, I didn't see a single thing on that board to help kids who were already addicted. It's still the same old "quit or die" mentality.

Like teaching abstinence has done so much good to curb teenage pregnancy. pfft.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

There was actually a smoking lounge at my High School. Was allowed to step to the outdoor lounge on breaks and lunch. If that weren't available we probably would have smoked in the bathroom.

IMHO when people are addicted to nicotine, punishing them rarely works. I would do whatever it took to see my kids be successful. Maybe not the most popular decision but agree with above posts to caution him to be careful and not let kids know about his vaping. He'll have a lot of issues w/ the school if it gets around which if I recall, happens in about 10 seconds in a high school.
    TennDave likes this.

PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I smoked in school. I was tapped on the shoulder once by the Jr high school principal after everyone else had thrown theirs in the toilet. I just happened to have my back turned when he entered the boys room. I got 3 days suspension.

My Mother was horrified. My Dad, who smoked, told me I was old enough to make my own decisions. He sneaked around in school and smoked, too. I can understand parents' shock at their kid smoking, but it's just a rite of passage for kids to try things. It's the really dangerous things that you want to know about and control (drugs).

At 17, I would want my kid to vape and leave the killer weed alone. It's a shame that schools have to outlaw both when vaping is the better alternative. They have to be strict and it's probably better to punish nicotine use than be responsible for youth use of things that are better decided upon after a little more maturity, but kids will be kids.

And I only smoked 6 a day for two years before that.

Provari and Sigelei Zmax V3 | CASAA Member

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Yes, punishment comes quickly!
    I agree 100% with him not letting his friends know- the fewer that know the better.
    If some of his "smoking friends" start vaping, it will be even harder to keep under wraps.
    Usually high schools have a main principal and then assistant principals- one per grade level.
    These AP's are like hawks, on the look-out for problems- it's their job to discipline kids and to "nip" problems before they become bigger ones. They are typically power hungry and just wringing their hands to find new issues to suspend kids over.
    I would really hate any children's attempts to quit smoking with a PV to be brought to national attention- certainly this would give vaping a bad name...after all so many campaigns are "for the children."

I also see and have already thought of the parallels mentioned above with the "abstinence" programs. Remember when passing out condoms in schools to decrease pregnancy was the thing (before the Bushies) and then it was "Just Say No" to Drugs, Sex, all Sins? So much has changed....it really is "Quit or Die" as the main-stay of political thinking all the way from State and local governments all the way down into school boards and your child's own school.....Still all politics w/ a pseudo-moral leaning.
    Huffelpuff and LeDean like this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Btw, I posted as to what happened in our schools several weeks ago here (might be worth reading- seems most of these school board decisions use the same language- comes straight from American Heart Association, Lung Association and other Alphabet Soup organizations): Call to Action or not?? Knoxville, Tennessee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast