Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Vaping in public places in Chicago is banned...

  1. #31
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    21

    Default

    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    Once again you miss the point.
    You're right. I guess I am missing your point. I just can't wrap my head around why you're saying this has happened in Chicago. Is this what you're saying? Banning vaping in public places without banning it altogether or the government taxing it like cigarettes or taking control of it just yet is going to force folks to quite vaping and go back to smoking cigarettes or using patches and gum even though vaping is still available to do discreetly and in our own space. How is this related to and forcing the tax and pharmaceutical issue or the evil ANTS agenda that is mentioned? I know that I, for one, won't go back to cigarettes or just start chewing the gum just because I can't smoke at work, or while walking through the store, or sitting through a walk-in movie. I can wait. And I'm glad that for now I'm still able to get my supplies that aren't overtaxed and use them in my own space.

    You're right. I don't get or understand the reason you say this has happened. That point of view doesn't make sense to me. To me it seems to be a respect, discretion, and common sense issue.

    Not to hopelessly or arogantly argue this point, but I just don't get how this would force the majority of vapers to go back to cigarettes and useless pharmaceutical aids that are subject to the governments appetite for more income.

  2. #32
    Super Member Verified Member JustB'nMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    420

    Default

    [QUOTE=Berylanna;11998233]
    Quote Originally Posted by mzvgonly View Post

    I'd like to do something more like that, but my Daddy taught me not to put things around my neck and since I went into some of the same factory/lab jobs as he had, I stick to it. So I'm wearing mine in a really ugly pouch on my belt, along with my cell phone and my work badge. It makes me look SO FAT. But everything else I tried had a tendency to fall out of whatever pocket, hit the ground, and cost me somewhere between $30 and $50.

    We really need to invent a way for women to have things on our person in a more graceful way. Purses don't count. If I were 30 years younger and had my original youthful legs, maybe I'd consider a garter holster. Phone on right leg, mod on left?


    Love the garter holster idea....especially if I had my legs from 20 years ago!

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    Live well, Love hard, Laugh often & Vape on!

  3. #33
    Myk
    Myk is offline
    Ultra Member ECF Veteran Myk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    2,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratoblaster View Post
    [

    You're right. I guess I am missing your point. I just can't wrap my head around why you're saying this has happened in Chicago. Is this what you're saying? Banning vaping in public places without banning it altogether or the government taxing it like cigarettes or taking control of it just yet is going to force folks to quite vaping and go back to smoking cigarettes or using patches and gum even though vaping is still available to do discreetly and in our own space. How is this related to and forcing the tax and pharmaceutical issue or the evil ANTS agenda that is mentioned? I know that I, for one, won't go back to cigarettes or just start chewing the gum just because I can't smoke at work, or while walking through the store, or sitting through a walk-in movie. I can wait. And I'm glad that for now I'm still able to get my supplies that aren't overtaxed and use them in my own space.

    You're right. I don't get or understand the reason you say this has happened. That point of view doesn't make sense to me. To me it seems to be a respect, discretion, and common sense issue.

    Not to hopelessly or arogantly argue this point, but I just don't get how this would force the majority of vapers to go back to cigarettes and useless pharmaceutical aids that are subject to the governments appetite for more income.
    You don't understand this has happened in Chicago? Read the thread title.
    The ban was not in response to people vaping, it was in response to vaping existing.
    I guess I can see your confusion, you saw, "vaping in public places" and stopped reading to form an opinion on vaping in public spaces.

    I guess someone in New Mexico can't understand. Send me outside to vape at 0° and I'd have no option but to smoke at least in the winter.

    I'd rather believe in the evil ANTZ than the imaginary evil vapers who don't do exactly what you do so they're the cause of all the bans that get blamed on the innocent ANTZ.
    Funny how you think lawful public vaping is the cause of all your problems but illegal public vaping is the cure.

    $2453 spent on ecigs. Join http://www.casaa.org/ protect your ability to vape.

  4. #34
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Berylanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    south Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,937
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    You don't understand this has happened in Chicago? Read the thread title.
    The ban was not in response to people vaping, it was in response to vaping existing.
    I guess I can see your confusion, you saw, "vaping in public places" and stopped reading to form an opinion on vaping in public spaces.

    I guess someone in New Mexico can't understand. Send me outside to vape at 0° and I'd have no option but to smoke at least in the winter.

    I'd rather believe in the evil ANTZ than the imaginary evil vapers who don't do exactly what you do so they're the cause of all the bans that get blamed on the innocent ANTZ.
    Funny how you think lawful public vaping is the cause of all your problems but illegal public vaping is the cure.
    Either Chicago or NYC (I think NYC) had people blowing big clouds in there DURING the City Council meeting instead of stealth vaping.

    I suspect we might have lost a couple less votes without that (so we could have lost 23-6 instead of 25-4 or whatever.)

    Older people who grew up in smoke-filled houses and cars but were not smokers are EASY to sway by the argument "I never want to see that again." Almost like a kind of PTSD-lite. Well, helium-light, but still.

    But the guy who wanted to vape in the kitchen should probably have been reminded of the hand-to-mouth rule, though he did say he was going to vape in the restroom. With or without the vape, if he doesn't wash his hands afterwards, I don't wanna eat there. (Note this person did NOT say he did not wash his hands......)

    Let's save the big displays for the smoking areas, and impress the smokers. Or around the corner in an empty hallway where it can dissipate before someone else comes along.

    It is not a question of whether the ANTZ are the cause of our problems, they are. It is a question of who will get non-vaping allies because we will never be a majority.
    “When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.”
    Lois McMaster Bujold, Memory

  5. #35
    Myk
    Myk is offline
    Ultra Member ECF Veteran Myk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    2,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berylanna View Post
    Either Chicago or NYC (I think NYC) had people blowing big clouds in there DURING the City Council meeting instead of stealth vaping.

    I suspect we might have lost a couple less votes without that (so we could have lost 23-6 instead of 25-4 or whatever.)

    Older people who grew up in smoke-filled houses and cars but were not smokers are EASY to sway by the argument "I never want to see that again." Almost like a kind of PTSD-lite. Well, helium-light, but still.

    But the guy who wanted to vape in the kitchen should probably have been reminded of the hand-to-mouth rule, though he did say he was going to vape in the restroom. With or without the vape, if he doesn't wash his hands afterwards, I don't wanna eat there. (Note this person did NOT say he did not wash his hands......)

    Let's save the big displays for the smoking areas, and impress the smokers. Or around the corner in an empty hallway where it can dissipate before someone else comes along.

    It is not a question of whether the ANTZ are the cause of our problems, they are. It is a question of who will get non-vaping allies because we will never be a majority.
    NYC was a protest, the end of the story was already written when long ago they claimed they weren't going after ecigs. No votes were lost. Expect to see more protests.
    Conley vaping (or not) at the Duluth meeting didn't change the outcome. The outcome was bought and paid for long before they first announced the ban proposal.

    I suspect that you might actually see vapers in the wild in CA. Most of the world doesn't. To try to blame vapers and sub-ohm for the bans is ludicrous. The fact that ecigs barely existed was enough for the FDA to try to ban them as medical devices. The fact that they got their hand slapped and they still exist is enough for the ANTZ now.
    If you want to avoid bans everyone needs to not vape ever, which of course is a defacto ban. We are not the cause, we can win votes hiding.

    When I worked in a restaurant before smoking bans the cooks stepped off the line to smoke. I smoked at the dishwasher on the dirty side. I suspect similar was going on before the vaping ban. It's not like you can hang most ecigs from your mouth and vape while your hands are busy.

    $2453 spent on ecigs. Join http://www.casaa.org/ protect your ability to vape.

  6. #36
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Berylanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    south Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,937
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    NYC was a protest, the end of the story was already written when long ago they claimed they weren't going after ecigs. No votes were lost. Expect to see more protests.
    Conley vaping (or not) at the Duluth meeting didn't change the outcome. The outcome was bought and paid for long before they first announced the ban proposal.

    I suspect that you might actually see vapers in the wild in CA. Most of the world doesn't. To try to blame vapers and sub-ohm for the bans is ludicrous. The fact that ecigs barely existed was enough for the FDA to try to ban them as medical devices. The fact that they got their hand slapped and they still exist is enough for the ANTZ now.
    If you want to avoid bans everyone needs to not vape ever, which of course is a defacto ban. We are not the cause, we can win votes hiding.

    When I worked in a restaurant before smoking bans the cooks stepped off the line to smoke. I smoked at the dishwasher on the dirty side. I suspect similar was going on before the vaping ban. It's not like you can hang most ecigs from your mouth and vape while your hands are busy.
    The NYC thing AFTER was a protest, but there were a couple of people in there blowing big clouds for hours BEFORE the vote. They didn't cost us the vote. But they sure didn't help.

    Conley stealth vapes when he's not up, encourages us to do the same, then once he's "up" he asks to demo, challenges them to guess if he's really vaping or not, vapes, then takes some Q&A on the matter. It's very effective.

    I don't see much of vapers OR smokers in the wild in CA. The only smokers are usually foreign men. The vapers I see once every few weeks. I work on being seen outdoors blowing big clouds or indoors vaping but blowing nothing visible. That is what I recommend as a friend-making strategy. It's not about blame, I said we might have lost 23-6 instead of 25-4, that's not a victory. But it's about the next victory we want. Vaping in places where hot food and drink is not allowed (like the children's section of the library) or blowing HUGE clouds onto strangers indoors, both of which I've read about in recent posts, is irresponsible. Show people what vaping is, and that it's safe AND POLITE.
    “When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.”
    Lois McMaster Bujold, Memory

  7. #37
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    I guess I can see your confusion, you saw, "vaping in public places" and stopped reading to form an opinion on vaping in public spaces.

    I guess someone in New Mexico can't understand. Send me outside to vape at 0° and I'd have no option but to smoke at least in the winter.

    I'd rather believe in the evil ANTZ than the imaginary evil vapers who don't do exactly what you do so they're the cause of all the bans that get blamed on the innocent ANTZ.
    Funny how you think lawful public vaping is the cause of all your problems but illegal public vaping is the cure.
    I really have no words to argue your point of view. I do know what's going on, where it's going, and what is the real cause. Regardless, it's good to see that some folks understand what needs to be done to fight this battle correctly. Lawful public vaping has been blatantly abused by a lot of vapers who just give your ANTZ more ammunition. Illegal public vaping is the cure? Seriously? How did that come out of what I've said? Now you're just looking for ways to turn around things I've pointed out and slam them.

    Also, at least for myself, an eight hour stretch without nicotine isn't going to get me to go back to smoking cigarettes. I actually have done 3 day stretches at certain business retreats. That's just me. I don't expect most folks to hold out like that. It's difficult but when it's necessary... Still, a lot of the ammunition that the groups have has been given by legal public vapers who can't sit through a two hour movie or spend an hour in a store without being blatantly obvious and sometimes, as pointed out by one poster, in your face about it.

    I have no more point to make. I'm out. Turn what I've just said around how you will.

  8. #38
    Myk
    Myk is offline
    Ultra Member ECF Veteran Myk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    2,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berylanna View Post
    The NYC thing AFTER was a protest, but there were a couple of people in there blowing big clouds for hours BEFORE the vote. They didn't cost us the vote. But they sure didn't help.

    Conley stealth vapes when he's not up, encourages us to do the same, then once he's "up" he asks to demo, challenges them to guess if he's really vaping or not, vapes, then takes some Q&A on the matter. It's very effective.

    I don't see much of vapers OR smokers in the wild in CA. The only smokers are usually foreign men. The vapers I see once every few weeks. I work on being seen outdoors blowing big clouds or indoors vaping but blowing nothing visible. That is what I recommend as a friend-making strategy. It's not about blame, I said we might have lost 23-6 instead of 25-4, that's not a victory. But it's about the next victory we want. Vaping in places where hot food and drink is not allowed (like the children's section of the library) or blowing HUGE clouds onto strangers indoors, both of which I've read about in recent posts, is irresponsible. Show people what vaping is, and that it's safe AND POLITE.
    If you didn't know what the vote in NYC was going to be you're gullible. It was a protest, maybe not well thought out but it was a protest.

    I don't recall Conley asking in Duluth. I imagine Krug and ALA were gasping in horror. It obviously wasn't effective because the vote was already bought and paid for.

    Well if you're not seeing vapers in the wild how is it they deserve the blame? Who is seeing these vapors blowing clouds in the wild to go complaining to the lawmakers about?
    Nobody is seeing them because the numbers aren't there. 20% of the population smoked, we'd be lucky if 50% of that 20% has switched to ecigs and lucky if 50% of that blowing big clouds. 5% of the population blowing big clouds isn't being noticed by anyone.
    The reality is most vapers are using things like Blu and lucky to get a cloud.
    ALA and ACS are imagining and making pre-emptive calls.

    I agree about being respectful and I keep clouds down when vaping at my sister's but this blame game of put the ban blame on imaginary vapers is ridiculous. (See the blame below, "Lawful public vaping has been blatantly abused by a lot of vapers who just give your ANTZ more ammunition.")


    Quote Originally Posted by Stratoblaster View Post
    I really have no words to argue your point of view. I do know what's going on, where it's going, and what is the real cause. Regardless, it's good to see that some folks understand what needs to be done to fight this battle correctly. Lawful public vaping has been blatantly abused by a lot of vapers who just give your ANTZ more ammunition. Illegal public vaping is the cure? Seriously? How did that come out of what I've said? Now you're just looking for ways to turn around things I've pointed out and slam them.

    Also, at least for myself, an eight hour stretch without nicotine isn't going to get me to go back to smoking cigarettes. I actually have done 3 day stretches at certain business retreats. That's just me. I don't expect most folks to hold out like that. It's difficult but when it's necessary... Still, a lot of the ammunition that the groups have has been given by legal public vapers who can't sit through a two hour movie or spend an hour in a store without being blatantly obvious and sometimes, as pointed out by one poster, in your face about it.

    I have no more point to make. I'm out. Turn what I've just said around how you will.
    You seem to be very confused about what the topic of this thread is. Public vaping HAS BEEN BANNED in Chicago. It IS illegal. "Discretion and respect" where vaping is illegal is ILLEGAL.

    Where are these "a lot of vapers" "blatantly abusing"? "A lot of vapers" don't even exist let alone those blatantly abusing.

    I need nicotine for health reasons. I could go a long time without nicotine and not have a desire, but I would have health problems. 3 days without and I wouldn't be at the retreat, I'd at least be at the doctor's if not the ER and getting my meds changed to ones that cause chemo resistant lymphoma, other cancers and organ failure. May as well smoke and get the added protection smoking would give me.
    If I was able to go without nicotine like you, I'd get off nicotine. That was my original goal, that's how I found out I have a disease that nicotine helps.
    Last edited by Myk; 01-26-2014 at 04:57 PM.

    $2453 spent on ecigs. Join http://www.casaa.org/ protect your ability to vape.

  9. #39
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    N. California
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by susieq60002 View Post
    But we have to think of the children of Chicago....Mayor Emanuel was on the local news station talking about this gem before it passed, and as usual, he had no clue what he was talking about. Stating old facts and whining about the children and on and on.

    Personally, I do not vape where smoking is not allowed. And not vaping in a restaurant or a movie is not going to bother me. What does bother me is places like bars and clubs where it was allowed. First off, no children are allowed, so we are protecting who? Second, this forces the vapers back outside with smokers, which just sucks.
    I have a friend who loved Chicago...born and raised there...she got the hell out because it was worse than California. My only question is why the GOOD people of Chicago have allowed the government to make the citizens their .....*s? I'm well aware of the history of "Chicago politics". Rahm is a {MODERATED}. Always has been, always will be.

    We have our own here...Daryl Steinberg-president of the senate. He is an .....hat deluxe. I feel your pain.
    Last edited by sonicdsl; 03-09-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Do not evade forum censors to use offensive language

  10. #40
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    N. California
    Posts
    55

    Default

    [QUOTE=mzvgonly;12000380]
    Quote Originally Posted by Berylanna View Post



    Love the garter holster idea....especially if I had my legs from 20 years ago!

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    I have lady friends who carry concealed hand guns AND e-cigs in thigh holsters. They use "cell phone" holsters when they aren't wearing a dress...armed and vaping.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks