Vaping in public places in Chicago is banned...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Vaping in public places in Chicago is banned...

Full Member ECF Veteran

Default Vaping in public places in Chicago is banned...

...and I'm doing it anyway! I work in a restaurant and my boss informed me we would have to stop vaping in the kitchen. I told him fine, but you cant control what i do in a bathroom stall, and frankly, based on what other women do in those stalls my vapor is a public service, lol. I'll walk in there, and if it smells like a place where people potty, its gonna smell like a bakery when I'm done! No charge boss.
    And I'm also dashing into every dark corner i can find as well!
    YOUR FLIMSY LAWS WILL NOT CONTAIN ME! MWAHAHAHA!
    LONG LIVE THE VAPE!!!!!

Is the kitchen in public view?
    Lisa Belle likes this.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Vape 4 Life Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Can always move up here, ecigs are not recommended but they are legal.

Vapeing for Freedom

I'm gonna say this. I probably won't make any friends on here but this is what I feel about the vaping in public issue.

First, I love to vape. I am a chain vaper. I diy all my juices, rebuild my own coils, and stockpile. I believe we shoild have the right to vape and that it should be a personal choice. That being said.....

While non-vapers don't understand what it is, I understand that they don't understand. We should try to understand that. While we have quite a bit of evidence that it's pretty much harmless to those around us, the long term jury is still out. As long as it's already been around, it's still brand new to a lot of folks. A lot of folks are discovering daily and even seeing and hearing about it for the first time on a daily basis. That being said.....

I watched a guy in a store the other day blow out a huge cloud of what was probably all vg vaper. It was beyond any exhale I've ever seen from any cigarette. Now from the point of view of me as a vaper, it really bothered me. I'll explain that a bit in a moment. From the point of view of a non-vaper, I can only imagine. It sure looked like smoke to me. You think they want to hear, oh it's not smoke, it's just vapor and it won't hurt you. Who cares? Smoke or vapor, it has some substance. You can see it and smell it. It has substance and matter. They don't understand what it is. I understand that.

Why does it bother me to see something like that in a public place. First, we haven't won the war yet. We should still have a little discretion and some respect for the folks around us. The long term jury is still out and we don't have enough to stand on. Why fuel the fire? Guys like that just fuel the fire and help usher in government regulation and banning.

Besides the health benefits, I love the benefits of vaping. I can vape in my house. I can vape in my vehicles. And I can vape around the folks around me that do understand without it harming them (I think). And the DIY has turned into one of my favorite hobbies. However, I respect and understand the folks that don't understand. They may have just seen it for the first time and haven't had time to go research the difference between smoke and vapor. And really, should they have to and should they even care to? From what they can see and smell, there is substance in it regardless of what it is.

I myself can go shopping for an hour or two, go sit through a movie, or go do my day job and somehow survive without my nicotine fix. Rest assured that the first ting I do when I get to my truck is start hitting on my tank. I am seriously addicted to 30mg juice. And I've even snuck off to the bathroom stall a time or two. That's discretion and respect for the folks that don't understand yet.

Rather than being so concerned about being able to vape in public or where other people are, I'm more concerned with keeping our rights to get the supplies we need without government regulation. You can't smoke {OTHER STUFF} in public. You can't drink in public. But in a lot of places you can brew, grow, and use at home. However, abuse has forced, and at times much needed, government regulation. We're the minority. Blowing big clouds of vapor out where everyone can see it and smell it is taking push to the level of shove.

Until we have our way, we should be able to fight this battle with some wisdom, discretion, and respect for the folks that don't understand yet. The long term will have the proof for or argument against vaping. Wisdom, discretion, and respect.
    Last edited by sonicdsl; 01-18-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Mention/discussion of drugs is not permitted

Full Member ECF Veteran

I totally agree with you. I would have taken issue with the the guy blowing out a giant cloud too. If I'm in public, I usually hold in my vapor a little longer so I blow nothing out.

Blog Entries

You work in a restaurant and your upset that you can't vape in the kitchen. I vape and i sure wouldn't want someone vaping over my food. Sure vaping is harmless but think about it the vape came from inside your mouth. I am not trying to start an argument just i understand why your boss wants to vaping in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratoblaster View Post
    Why does it bother me to see something like that in a public place. First, we haven't won the war yet. We should still have a little discretion and some respect for the folks around us. The long term jury is still out and we don't have enough to stand on. Why fuel the fire? Guys like that just fuel the fire and help usher in government regulation and banning.
    I fully accept your point that second-hand vapor has not been conclusively proven to be 100% harmless and completely understand where you are coming from in general. However I also think that a lot of this banning of vaping is down to discriminatory attitudes towards anything that can even possibly be associated with smoking. That and the fact that certain vested interests have a vendetta out against e-cigarettes. For instance, here in the UK, the British Medical Association who are the main organisation that represent doctors, have called for vaping to be banned in enclosed public spaces because it "normalises" smoking again. Interestingly they have never called for nicotine inhalers to be banned.

I personally feel that in a free society an individual should have the liberty to do whatever they want provided they are not harming anybody else. Despite the lack of conclusive proof there is no evidence whatsoever that anybody is harming anyone by vaping around others and it is theoretical unlikely that somebody would be. Therefore non-vapers/smokers should also show some tolerance. I am regularly irritated and even offended by other people's actions, behaviours and words but I don't think that they should be banned or outlawed. The unfortunate fact is that if we allow it to be banned in public it will be an uphill struggle to ever get the bans lifted again regardless of any new scientific evidence.
    jpargana, Lisa Belle and Kabamm like this.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Deeo View Post
    You work in a restaurant and your upset that you can't vape in the kitchen. I vape and i sure wouldn't want someone vaping over my food. Sure vaping is harmless but think about it the vape came from inside your mouth. I am not trying to start an argument just i understand why your boss wants to vaping in the kitchen.
    A commercial kitchen consists of areas like the dishwashing area, etc. I have never vaped "over food." I was just making light of a law that I think is goofy. I work fine dining and have also taken a food safety course. Sheesh.
    Lisa Belle likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran GolemGolem's Avatar

In public I tend to follow smoking rules anywho. I still like the ritual of going outside for a few and chatting. I don't like confrontations with startled strangers. Private I vape where and when I want, and if I'm in the walk-in by myself at work, I'll have a puff or two on the DL.
    I work produce now so it ain't like I'm cooking any more, it's rare I go more than 5 hours without a 15 now a days. Hell we used to puff other things in the walk-in back when I was a cook. You do what you have to do to get through a 12 hour shift with 2-3 10 min breaks tops, all at top speed, all demanding precision, all with other cooks.

I'll die a little though if a cop hassles me for walking down the street vaping. I'll die a lot if it gets banned outright and no one will ship me supplies.
    Lisa Belle likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

But we have to think of the children of Chicago....Mayor Emanuel was on the local news station talking about this gem before it passed, and as usual, he had no clue what he was talking about. Stating old facts and whining about the children and on and on.

Personally, I do not vape where smoking is not allowed. And not vaping in a restaurant or a movie is not going to bother me. What does bother me is places like bars and clubs where it was allowed. First off, no children are allowed, so we are protecting who? Second, this forces the vapers back outside with smokers, which just sucks.
    Lisa Belle likes this.

Become a Member of
    CASAA

11-22-12

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast