Why I Think Discriminating Against Smokers is Effectively Ethnic Discrimination
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Why I Think Discriminating Against Smokers is Effectively Ethnic Discrimination

Default Why I Think Discriminating Against Smokers is Effectively Ethnic Discrimination

So for many years I have been interested in and studying what separates smokers from non-smokers.

Recently I found this article.

Its about cotinine - a metabolite of nicotine (basically nicotine treated with either hydrogen peroxide or UV light).

Most (say 65% or more) of nicotine is converted to cotinine when you vape or smoke cigarettes.

Its says, among much else, that "Individuals that express a catalytically deficient form of CYP2A6 [ a gene ] (i.e., CYP2A6*4) showed a lower rate of cigarette consumption compared with individuals that express the normal allele... Therefore cotinine metabolism and, consequently, smoking behavior can be influenced by ethnicity."

Thus whether or not your body expresses CYP2A6 a certain way determines your reaction to cotinine.

A deficient expression of the gene and you don't need to smoke (I believe I have that) because you process cotinine differently.

Cotinine comes from the nicotine you ingest (non smokers have a very low level in their blood) - either eat, e.g., peppers, or inhale.

Smokers have a much higher level of cotinine in their blood (hence the use of cotinine markers for busting smokers) - but its because genetically they need it.

There is enough meat in this article (plus much else available about cotinine) to convince me smoking (or vaping) is genetic.

Hence discrimination against smokers is like discriminating against women with BRCA (the breast cancer gene).

I would think this is illegal.
    Uma likes this.

Some additional notes:

CYP2A6 is a gene that, according to Wikipedia, processes nicotine and cotinine.

Now there are recognized mutations of this gene (see this for a discussion).

Now recall is, according to the CDC, that there is such a thing as "dietary nicotine."

Never heard this?

Neither had I until I found this link to studies by the CDC where everyone of 800 people tested for nicotine (non-smokers) tested positive.

Now think about this. Nicotine is in our foods as a necessary nutrient.

So it stands to reason that human (and mammals) can process nicotine and use it in their bodies.

No one wants you to know that dietary nicotine is a necessary nutrient - that would explode the entire "smoking" myth.

Yet there it is.

So its not a big stretch to imagine mutations of this ability to process nicotine.

Hence you have smoking and now vaping - which has been around for perhaps 5,000 years.

So folks have been studying what happens when you manipulate this gene (see this).

Now, if you were short of, say niacin (nicotinic acid or vitamin B3) it would be no problem to run down to the store and get some.

In fact, pellagra is a recognized disease with niacin deficiency.

Yet a deficiency of cotinine means you are a jerk because you vape or smoke to replace what your body needs.

Doesn't strike me as fair.

So if every human being consumes and biochemically requires nicotine in their diet as a necessary nutrient how is that the FDA can dictate you can't consume extra?

If you withheld vitamin C from your child and the child became ill with scurvy you'd go to jail.
    Last edited by toddkuen; 05-13-2014 at 03:54 PM.
    Uma and Lisa Belle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by elektrk View Post
    It's an interesting theory, but generally speaking, that's the FDA's job- to regulate for the benefit of public safety. Radiation therapy is a life-saving treatment for many cancer patients, but that doesn't mean that a local high school dropout can cobble together a ray gun in his garage or order a knockoff from China, register a DBA, and announce the opening of MadNuke's Ion Beam Lounge.

Likewise, a person who has a genetic condition requiring treatment with a controlled substance, say, amphetamine, can still be restricted from abusing it recreationally, particularly if that abuse negligently harms others. Similarly, the fact that humans are comprised mostly of water doesn't mean you can bring your own soft drinks into sporting events or movie theaters.

I think its an excellent hypothesis that relies on all that the FDA, CDC and big tobacco don't want you to know and boils down to this:

1) Tobacco smoking is an FDA regulated system that delivers necessary, naturally occurring, non-addictive, not-specific-to-tobacco nutrient nicotine to humans.

2) Your need for nicotine is genetic and depends on mutations of CPY2A6 which in turn control how your body processes both nicotine and cotinine.

3) Ethically we can all agree that smoking is regulated by the FDA because its bad for your personal health and causes long term, expensive public health issues.

But now we discover nicotine is only really addictive when coupled with whole tobacco alkaloids, i.e., when smoking, and occurs in everyone's body naturally.

Can the FDA deny a genetically separate/distinct segment of the population necessary nicotine?

Particularly vapers who do not use whole tobacco alkaloids and only nicotine?

I say no.

It would be like denying a woman with BRCA treatment.
    Last edited by toddkuen; 05-14-2014 at 12:07 AM.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

So....two things.

One, Thank you for the new information. It supports my long held theory that my PTSD and Depression where the main things keeping me from quitting smoking. From intimate experience I can tell you that Panic attacks go on a massive up tick within 3 days of quitting analogs cold turkey.
    Also, it is worth noting Dr. Farsalino's research that shows that Vaping produces smaller amounts of nicotine in blood plasma than cigarettes:
    Nicotine absorption from electronic cigarette use: comparison between first and new-generation devices : Scientific Reports : Nature Publishing Group

Which also explains why, on particularly stressful days, or during a time of a massive panic attack, I still occasionally need a cigarette because my 24mg isn't cutting it. My good friend tells me she does not think it is a fail when I occasionally have a cigarette during a panic attack, because at this point, the cigarette IS a chill pill, not a sign that I am still addicted to smoking.

The more research comes in, the more reassuring this is.
    Thank you, OP.
    Doing the best I can to do justly love mercy, and walk humbly with God ~Micah 6:8

ECF Moderator
    Registered Reviewers/Bloggers Manager
    Asst. Classifieds Manager
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by chapeltown View Post
    <...>
    Which also explains why, on particularly stressful days, or during a time of a massive panic attack, I still occasionally need a cigarette because my 24mg isn't cutting it. My good friend tells me she does not think it is a fail when I occasionally have a cigarette during a panic attack, because at this point, the cigarette IS a chill pill, not a sign that I am still addicted to smoking.
    <...>
    Have you tried 36mg/3.6% or WTA or NET liquids? They may help in those situations.
    Lisa Belle likes this.
    ECF Sub-Ohm Safety Tips
    FDA Forum | CASAA Forum | Legislation News | Nicotine Myths | E-Cigarette Politics

New from ECF: www.VAPING.com
    S M O K E . F R E E . & . V A P I N G . S I N C E . A U G. 1 0 , 2 0 1 1

Ultra Member* Verified Member AmandaD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonicdsl View Post
    Have you tried 36mg/3.6% or WTA or NET liquids? They may help in those situations.
    I have a friend that vapes 48mg/ml at those times. It's her emergency stash - unflavored nic. It works for her!
    Lisa Belle likes this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I am going to try it. Just had base come in the other day that I am getting ready to dilute and freeze, so I will make a Lil bottle of high test stuff.

from my galaxy s4
    Lisa Belle likes this.
    Doing the best I can to do justly love mercy, and walk humbly with God ~Micah 6:8

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

......as an aside.... having ptsd or depression or schizophrenia is Not an Ethnic thing.
    ....just thought I would mention it.

from my galaxy s4

By "ethnic" I mean genetically different - doesn't mean race or anything like that.

Like smoking (and vaping) runs in families...
    Lisa Belle likes this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Ooooh!!! Okay. I see you are right....
    Anything that creates or links a group of people together.
    My bad.

Hey, did you know insanity is inherited?!?!

Yep....you get it from your kids.

from my galaxy s4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast