What does this mean as far as ordering? (Minnesota Ecig Taxes)
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By northhar
  • 1 Post By mac63
  • 1 Post By Tonythefiddler
  • 1 Post By skoony

Thread: What does this mean as far as ordering? (Minnesota Ecig Taxes)

  1. #1
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN, USA
    Posts
    53

    Default What does this mean as far as ordering? (Minnesota Ecig Taxes)

    It says you must pay a 95 percent tax on all "tobacco products" including e liquids if you get over 50 a month. But local b&ms are selling them for the same price as they are online, etc. Do I have to pay this or something? Seems ridiculous.
    E-cigarettes

  2. #2
    Super Member ECF Veteran dragonpuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the river and through the woods, Western NY
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonythefiddler View Post
    It says you must pay a 95 percent tax on all "tobacco products" including e liquids if you get over 50 a month. But local b&ms are selling them for the same price as they are online, etc. Do I have to pay this or something? Seems ridiculous.
    E-cigarettes
    Perhaps they have not begun enforcing it yet? When did they decide that e-cigarettes met the definition of a tobacco product? There may be a 90 day or so lag time for everyone to fall in line.

    It looks like your vendor will be primarily responsible for the taxes, but if your vendor does not pay (because they are out of state or not compliant with the law), then you are responsible. Whether you will actually have to pay the taxes depends on how they choose to enforce it.

    In my state we are supposed to report all out-of-state purchases on our tax returns (ha ha!). However, internet tobacco product sales in my state are simply banned, so I have no idea how another state would enforce that (although in my state e-cigs are not considered tobacco products, yet...).

    You might wanna take a trip to you local B&M and ask them about it, they may have a more clear answer for you.

    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." Doctor Who

  3. #3
    Super Member ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    CanTheBan
    Posts
    493

    Default

    After reading the link.. may I suggest an option which seems legal.. (not a lawyer and my dealing with tax authorities in my country is they always work so they win.)
    Buy only 0 nic ejuice it is nontaxable.. order some unflavored nic 36mg or greater and add it to the juice.. even if you pay tax on the unflavored you would be ahead.
    powerband and SinisterSilver like this.

  4. #4
    Ultra Member Verified Member mac63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Okinawa, FPO
    Posts
    1,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northhar View Post
    After reading the link.. may I suggest an option which seems legal.. (not a lawyer and my dealing with tax authorities in my country is they always work so they win.)
    Buy only 0 nic ejuice it is nontaxable.. order some unflavored nic 36mg or greater and add it to the juice.. even if you pay tax on the unflavored you would be ahead.
    Would have to also get some flavor extracts to bring the mix back up to full taste.
    Lisa Belle likes this.

  5. #5
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN, USA
    Posts
    53

    Default

    I was thinking about doing that but yeah, most of the juices I get are really complex and/or use NETs. Probably going to just keep it under the 50 a month and get the rest from my b&m they just got some awesome brands for retail price
    dragonpuff likes this.

  6. #6
    Ultra Member ECF Veteran skoony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    saint paul,mn,usa
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    as i read it they are talking ciga-likes here. pre-filled cartridges.
    " For example, the Tobacco Tax on an e-cigarette starter kit is calculated on the total cost unless the nicotine cartridges are sold separately and then the tax would only be on the nicotine cartridge value. Similarly, a disposable e-cigarette may have the tax calculated on its nicotine cartridge value if the cartridge is replaceable."
    this is why a 5 pack is 20-25 dollars a shot. its also why B&M's are springing up all over the place. people are quickly switching to advanced options.
    regards
    mike
    dragonpuff likes this.

  7. #7
    Super Member Nate760's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    San Marcos, CA, USA
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skoony View Post
    as i read it they are talking ciga-likes here. pre-filled cartridges.
    " For example, the Tobacco Tax on an e-cigarette starter kit is calculated on the total cost unless the nicotine cartridges are sold separately and then the tax would only be on the nicotine cartridge value. Similarly, a disposable e-cigarette may have the tax calculated on its nicotine cartridge value if the cartridge is replaceable."
    this is why a 5 pack is 20-25 dollars a shot. its also why B&M's are springing up all over the place. people are quickly switching to advanced options.
    regards
    mike
    This reads to me like a statute written by a bunch of ignorant rubes who think disposables and first-generation cigalikes are the only vaping products that exist. Because you have to live it when the people enacting public health policy can't be bothered to do 10 minutes of research before they start legislating.

  8. #8
    Ultra Member ECF Veteran skoony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    saint paul,mn,usa
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate760 View Post
    This reads to me like a statute written by a bunch of ignorant rubes who think disposables and first-generation cigalikes are the only vaping products that exist. Because you have to live it when the people enacting public health policy can't be bothered to do 10 minutes of research before they start legislating.
    this was done pretty much before PV's where available locally.
    cant remember for sure, some where in the 2007-9 time frame.
    i my self wasn't aware of e-cigs in general till 2013.
    regards
    mike

  9. #9
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN, USA
    Posts
    53

    Default

    What worries me though is it says e-juice... And 95%??? So if I get my usual 30 ml from nicoticket it would come out to like 50 bucks :O

  10. #10
    Ultra Member ECF Veteran skoony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    saint paul,mn,usa
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonythefiddler View Post
    What worries me though is it says e-juice... And 95%??? So if I get my usual 30 ml from nicoticket it would come out to like 50 bucks :O
    no,its just for cigalikes.
    BLU,V2,Greensmoke,etc.. .
    regards
    mike

Bookmarks