Is it illegal to vape in a car with children?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Is it illegal to vape in a car with children?

Full Member ECF Veteran

Default Is it illegal to vape in a car with children?

I don't normally vape in the car when my kids are with me, I just wait 'till we get to where we are going. I'm not worried about their health as much as I'm worried about the dirty looks people will give me if they think I'm smoking a real cigarette in a car full of children. Well, we will be driving from WA to CA, and passing through OR on the way down. It's a 20+ hour drive, and I don't think I'll care too much about what random people on the freeway think of my parenting. They can give me dirty looks all they want. My concern is the legal aspects of it. Will we be pulled over in any of those states? I know CA has a law about not smoking in cars with children, but do those laws include PVs?

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Katiecat View Post
    I don't normally vape in the car when my kids are with me, I just wait 'till we get to where we are going. I'm not worried about their health as much as I'm worried about the dirty looks people will give me if they think I'm smoking a real cigarette in a car full of children. Well, we will be driving from WA to CA, and passing through OR on the way down. It's a 20+ hour drive, and I don't think I'll care too much about what random people on the freeway think of my parenting. They can give me dirty looks all they want. My concern is the legal aspects of it. Will we be pulled over in any of those states? I know CA has a law about not smoking in cars with children, but do those laws include PVs?
    If people give you dirty looks, flip em the bird? Then you've given them a reason to give you dirty looks.
    dordas23 and JenniBean like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Depends where you live. In Maine most likely I'd get a ticket and have to fight it because it IS illegal to smoke in the car with children, and I'm not sure the Maine police are gonna give a damn about me explaining its vapor when they pull me over.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

So far, I'm not aware of any laws pertaining to smoking in cars with children that do include vaping. CASAA does monitor new law proposals pretty carefully, and ought to be aware of anything like that. For example, there is such a new law proposed in New York State, to make it illegal to smoke in cars with anyone younger than 14 as a passenger - but it would NOT include vaping, even if passed.

If such a law as Maine's does not define "smoking" to specifically include vaping, then any ticket given out by an ignorant officer would be dismissed. But, I seriously doubt many officers would ticket under those circumstances.

In case anyone's wondering WHY I still have the SD as my sig, it's because I got my first ecig in January 2008 but still smoked for 10 months, until I got my first SD. I have other APVs, but also still love and use my SD (with a Bulli on top). I will be forever grateful to Trog for saving my life!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mostly I really hate HATE court and wouldn't want to go fight it... I just put it down if i see a cop... usually I see them before they see me!

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Not as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,
    otrpu

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Darrigaaz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yvilla View Post
    If such a law as Maine's does not define "smoking" to specifically include vaping, then any ticket given out by an ignorant officer would be dismissed. But, I seriously doubt many officers would ticket under those circumstances.
    The problem with getting a bogus ticket in another state is that to contest it, you have to make a trip to the state you got the ticket in.. It's usually more hassle than just accepting it.
    Had my last cigarette on December 14th, 2009.

Full Member ECF Veteran

^^^And that's why some bad apples on a power trip love to target cars with out-of-state plates. More often than not, they have no choice but to pay, because they can't go back to the state the ticket was given in to contest it.

Super Member* ECF Veteran Demarko's Avatar

I'm forced to wonder why allergy and asthma keep going on the rise when people stopped smoking around their (or other peoples') children. I wonder if it doesn't actually HELP the lung growth and strengthening - or if it's all the other sanitizing going on. When I was younger, long before I ever started smoking, I was always in the top few in track, etc. And my parents smoked around me without ever giving it a second thought.
    rainkeltoia likes this.

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran ec!gg's Avatar

Not a law in PA for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast