Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: FDA Spokesperson Rita Chappelle Shoots Down Both the Device and The Nicotine For a Ban

ECF Guru

Exclamation FDA Spokesperson Rita Chappelle Shoots Down Both the Device and The Nicotine For a Ban

Once again, FDA spokesperson Rita Challelle speaks and this time clarifies that the Device and the Nicotine are in their sights as reported here:

"A seemingly safer smoking option, the "e-cigarette," is illegal to market and sell in the U.S., according to Rita Chappelle, USFDA spokesperson.
    "Neither that device nor the vapor it produces has been approved by the Federal Drug Administration, Chappelle said.
    "Such products must meet approval through the Federal Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act, Comprehensive Smokeless Tobacco Health Education Act or the FDA. Because the product uses strictly nicotine rather than a form of tobacco, approval rests on the FDA", Chappelle said.
    None of the products have been submitted for inspection or approval, she said."
    Whether the vapor can be classified as harmless has yet to be determined by the FDA, Chappelle said.

It appears the FDA, has in its sight the device as well as the nicotine. Only time will tell when the FDA will make its move and the scope of that maneuver------- Sun

See Electric cigarette not quite ready for retail | cigarette, nicotine, tobacco - Local News - Gaston Gazette
    Last edited by Sun Vaporer; 03-28-2009 at 03:11 AM. Reason: It

PV Master ECF Veteran

Get ready for a plethora of "they can't ban the device" posts.

Yes, they can. It is designed, patented and advertised all over the Web as a "safer" way to deliver a drug, the nicotine cocktail. That puts it squarely in the FDA's sights as a medical device with one primary purpose.

The device, carts and liquids are all at stake when the ruling comes down.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalBob View Post
    Get ready for a plethora of "they can't ban the device" posts.

Yes, they can. It is designed, patented and advertised all over the Web as a "safer" way to deliver a drug, the nicotine cocktail. That puts it squarely in the FDA's sights as a medical device with one primary purpose.

The device, carts and liquids are all at stake when the ruling comes down.
    Got to agree with that too. I think it coming real soon too. To much is changing day to day now.

RjG
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalBob View Post
    Get ready for a plethora of "they can't ban the device" posts...
    Oh, c'mon, that never happens

We have different opinions on the hardware matter - but that's ok, I respect your opinion, and hope that's a two way street...

Really, it makes little difference... if the 'juice gets banned, what will you put in it? That's the more serious bridge ahead.

Super Member ECF Veteran brandeeashlynn's Avatar

we are next. the ban is coming

Senior Member ECF Veteran

It sounds like "Rita" doesn't have the foggiest idea about the 'device', since her wording implies the device and the nicotine are inseparable rather than acknowledging the device is capable of performing without nicotine. Without the nicotine, how can it fall under their jurisdiction?

I agree storyspinr. All of the official statements in the last few days (US and Canada) it really sounds like they just saw the kiosks at the mall and really don't understand the product. Most of it uses "device" and "nicotine cartridge" interchangeably. I think they assume the cartridge is the working part of the device and also don't know about ejuice (other than what's inside the cartridge).

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Suppliers are going to see another rush on juice and parts...

Stockpiling will get kicked up another notch

ECF Guru

Post Do not underestimate Ms. Chappelle

Quote Originally Posted by Storyspinr View Post
    It sounds like "Rita" doesn't have the foggiest idea about the 'device', since her wording implies the device and the nicotine are inseparable rather than acknowledging the device is capable of performing without nicotine. Without the nicotine, how can it fall under their jurisdiction?

People--you may say what you like--but please do not underestimate Rita Chappelle--As I have stated in the past, she is the Head spokesperson for the Drug division of the FDA and she gets paid to only talk when she wants to be quoted and she only states what she knows is factual.

She is the 'Voice' of the FDA and it is her, if and when a ban comes, who will make the press statement--Just goggle her name and look at what you find if you do not want to go and do some real research on Ms. Chappelle.

I do not want to see any ban, but at the same time, I am not going to close my eyes on what is going on either when I am reading statements released from the "voice' of the FDA----------Sun
    Last edited by Sun Vaporer; 03-28-2009 at 04:24 AM. Reason: typo

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Trust me, Sun Vaporer, I never underestimate any anti embedded in the government. I just think legally they would have a hard time banning the device based on only one substance it is capable of vaporizing. Provided, of course, anybody has the money to challenge them legally.....

As has been said often and better by others on this forum, it is up to the manufacturers to get the studies done and get the cartridges/juice legally approved.

I should point out I got my first e cig this week (I tell people it's a "vaporette", lol) and have already about reduced my 2-pack a day habit to one pack, and that was using the zero nicotine carts. I will not give my e cig up without a fight, as pathetic as that fight may be......

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast