Article in the American Spectator
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article in the American Spectator

Ultra Member ECF Veteran strayling's Avatar

Default Article in the American Spectator

Dragging Us Down.

A couple of snippets to give you the feel:
    Perhaps most amazingly, the HHS Secretary's decision whether or not to ban the "modified risk" product from the marketplace is not to be based on whether or not the product actually provides a reduced risk or other benefit to the individual smoker. Individual well-being is not important to the ninnying nannies on Capitol Hill. The decision must be made to "benefit the health of the population as a whole, taking into account the impact on both users and nonusers of tobacco products."

And the FDA is at it again with news last month the agency will seek to regulate or ban "electronic cigarettes." These are tobacco-free devices that allow for the inhalation of a nicotine vapor.

It seems much of the impetus behind this and similar legislation is not individual or public health per se, but rather a postmodern puritanism ...
    (I hope that falls under fair use. Mods, feel free to edit if you think I've quoted too much.)

A quotation which seems relevant:

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.- H. L. Mencken
    "How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut

PV Master ECF Veteran

<<It seems much of the impetus behind this and similar legislation is not individual or public health per se, but rather a postmodern puritanism ...>>

Got it in one!!!

I'll settle down now and read the rest.

Thanks, Strayling!!

PV Master ECF Veteran

Great article by Zachary S.
    Best thing I've read for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesarea View Post
    Great article by Zachary S.
    Best thing I've read for ages.
    Representative of most of the coverage we're getting at the moment, too
    "How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by strayling View Post
    Representative of most of the coverage we're getting at the moment, too
    Do so hope the rational argument willl prevail. It's alarming being governed by such deeply irrational forces.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Default Just my .02

Just my initial thoughts on the article - feel free to disagree at any time.

If the FDA decides the product might be so popular that some nonsmokers become smokers, it could then be banned to protect "the population as a whole," even though the product itself is healthier than existing cigarettes on the market.

There's the nanny effect.....we couldn't possibly let people make decisions for themselves...

The "findings" section of Waxman-Kennedy admits, however, that smoking among young people seems to have risen recently despite the billions poured into anti-smoking propaganda campaigns over the last decade.

This is the one I started yelling at the computer when I read.....don't these congressmen remember what it was like to be a teenager? You don't discourage something by drawing big spotlights on it and saying "bad, bad, bad....." Teens are DRAWN to that because at their hearts, every teenager is rebellious. That's part of the psycology behind humans, we're striking out on our own, so we fight everything the adults tell us to do!

Forbidden fruit 101.

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah View Post
    There's the nanny effect.....we couldn't possibly let people make decisions for themselves...

This is the one I started yelling at the computer when I read.....don't these congressmen remember what it was like to be a teenager? You don't discourage something by drawing big spotlights on it and saying "bad, bad, bad....." Teens are DRAWN to that because at their hearts, every teenager is rebellious. That's part of the psycology behind humans, we're striking out on our own, so we fight everything the adults tell us to do!
    Forbidden fruit 101.

Yes, so kudos to Zachary S for letting the truth out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah View Post
    Forbidden fruit 101.
    Haha! You nailed it.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by strayling View Post
    Dragging Us Down.

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.- H. L. Mencken
    thanks for posting the article. this is one of my husband's favorite quotes!

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Agree with all the above. We're here to enjoy the journey, not to be robotic corporate slaves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)