Augusta, GA -- E-cigarettes in smoking ban extension - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Augusta, GA -- E-cigarettes in smoking ban extension

Senior Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Wanted to bump this thread since the next committee meeting is coming up in about a week (on January 18th). Do we have any local vapers who are going to be able to attend?

Super Member ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

Good to hear! Fingers crossed!

Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Augusta smoking ban fails to get commission approval
    http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-...ssion-approval

Looks like we don't have to worry about Augusta until next year. Had the commission approved the bill (that didn't include e-cigarettes), we wouldn't have to keep monitoring this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Still, a good time to educate them- it will rear its ugly head again.
    What city was it in Virginia, or was it all of Virginia that enacted a smoking ban but did not include e-cigs and it's working out rather nicely! Hey, they can even sell e-cigs at the bar for those who want to "indulge" but can't "burn" one in-doors!!
    Would be a great way to turn folks off from smoking and onto e-cigs. I guess the next thing coming (watch for it!!) are e-cig vending machines and it's bound to be controversial too.

Vaping Since 12/20/10 With No Analogs. REO 4 The Win!
    Donate to WE ARE VAPERS: www.indiegogo.com/WeAreVapers
    Join CASAA and Help Win the Fight! (it's Free!!):
    casaa.org

To be quite honest, I don't mind banning e-cigs along with cigarettes inside public places. Remember, when you exhale, you are exhaling a lot of nicotine, especially since the majority of the nicotine is not absorbed in the lungs compared to cigarettes. I would not want children or elderly people inhaling my exhaled nicotine. It can be harmful and/or irritating to non-smokers/vapers. I never use my ecigs inside unless it's within my own home or in my vehicle. Ecigs are safer, but they are not entirely harmless either.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rstreet55 View Post
    . . . Remember, when you exhale, you are exhaling a lot of nicotine, especially since the majority of the nicotine is not absorbed in the lungs compared to cigarettes. . . .
    rstreet55, this is not correct. See: Ecigarette mist harmless, inhaled or exhaled Actually, only a small amount of nicotine is in a puff, and most of it is absorbed by the user. As the chart says, nicotine is not harmful in the amounts exhaled.

But remember, life is a sexually transmitted disease that is 100% fatal.--cappadoc

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Do you oppose drinking coffee inside a coffee shop since the steam from the coffee makers must surely carry whiffs of caffeine that might pose a health risk to elderly people and children. Caffeine and nicotine are similar substances. When is the last time you heard of someone becoming ill or dead from inhaling either substance? BTW, what are three names of anyone who ever died of shs as the only cause of death? In Augusta or in any other place on the planet, what people have ever been held captive inside a bar or other place that allows smoking inside? If people are being forced to breathe either the fumes from cigarette smoke, caffeine, or the vapor from e cigs, then we have a problem that involves a charge of kidnapping. If someone is elderly, a child, or an asthmatic whose condition is made worse from any of these substances, then that person needs to avoid going into a place that allows those substances. I have a terrible reaction to eucalyptus. It makes me instantly nauseous, so it is necessary for me to avoid stores that sell eucalyptus such as craft stores. It is very simple. I just walk out of the place as soon as I catch a whiff. We are responsible for our own health. Everyone has bad reactions to something. If I have a cat allegry, it is doubtful that I will own a cat, go to people's homes who own cats even if they are relatives, or frequent pet stores.
    CJsKee and rothenbj like this.
    "Deja Moo : The feeling you’ve heard this bull before !"

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I was going to comment too but looks like you two covered it.

Vaping Since 12/20/10 With No Analogs. REO 4 The Win!
    Donate to WE ARE VAPERS: www.indiegogo.com/WeAreVapers
    Join CASAA and Help Win the Fight! (it's Free!!):
    casaa.org

You should know that healthnz.co.nz is not an equivalent of the FDA or BMJ. That study was not peer-reviewed. The link you gave just has a table and some unsubstantiated claims. The lone source is the study itself. Again, no peer review. It seems as if you have just found a site that coincides with your beliefs and that is all there is to it.

@sherid, your analogy to caffine is irrelevant as you cannot absorb caffeine by sitting next to a cup of coffee. But people can be at risk to exposure to nicotine through vapor. Also, I can avoid eucalyptus simply by walking away from if I see it. It's not going to follow me on it's own and I've seen someone walking around with it in public. However, if I am in a grocery store and someone is puffing away at an ecig next to me in line, I can't exactly just leave unless I decide to just leave my cart in the line.

e cig study by FDA

It shows absorption levels of nicotine from different cartridges in ecigs. Yes, I know a lot of you hate the FDA and feel they are in some giant conspiracy to ban ecigs, but scientific facts are scientific facts. I know a lot of people like using high levels (24-36, some even 48) of nic in their juices. This only increases the amount that can be exhaled. My point is that you should be careful where you are using it and who is around you when you're puffing. People are sensitive or allergic to different substances and we can't always know. It's better to be safe than sorry when out in public around people.

I am happy I found ecigs. I can now workout vigorously, play ultimate frisbee, and run races now that I quit. I believe my health is improved greatly based on the results of my last few doctors visits. I understand they may not be completely safe but I am far better off now than I was a year ago. But just because we have found an amazing alternative to smoking doesn't mean we automatically dismiss any negative studies about the products. And we shouldn't see all positive claims as fact or truth when they haven't been tested without bias or peer review. Just because I want to believe that there are no harmful side effects does not mean there aren't or that I should ignore studies that say there very well could be.
    Last edited by rstreet55; 02-24-2012 at 04:52 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast