E-cig advertising
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: E-cig advertising

PV Master ECF Veteran

Default E-cig advertising

I collect examples of old cigarette ads. Glamorous models. Sexy poses. Health claims that "doctors prefer..." Life was innocent fun in the 50s.

Fast forward a few decades of death and the roof came down on Big Tobacco's tower of babel. Dead people aren't glamorous or sexy. The Marlboro Man checks out with lung cancer. My idols ended lives in coughing fits, far too young to depart this earth.

This morning I found some e-cig ad images that made me wonder where our practice is going:

Healthier? That's what this Gamucci ad says. Yeh, and 4 out 5 doctors prefer Gamucci, huh?

And there's his one:

You think those who opposed the glamorization of cigarette smoking will sit back and enjoy these ads?

Finally, just to show it isn't just Gamucci's ads, I found this teaser for InLife e-cigs.

PV Master ECF Veteran

That's actually pretty startling to see ecig vendors still using ads like these. I think half the battle with the FDA etc is the marketing aspect of ecigs

Cartel Boss ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

They have to counteract the dorky nature of using a PV. I mean, honestly, the biggest push back I get from people is "I wouldn't pay that much money to look like a tool." As if smoking traditional cigarettes makes you look cool. Obviously there are always going to be a lot of people who don't want to appear to be sucking on a light-up eyeliner, so equating them with sex is probably a reasonable marketing approach... and one that's bound to raise the hackles of the culture war fanatics. But really, do you think Gamucci gives a **** about reasonable promotion of the PV? Of course not. They want to make a quick dollar, and when the FDA shuts them down, they'll move on to the next thing.
    juicealot likes this.
    "When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Sex sells. Wether its a car, a PV, alcohol or a video game, put a pretty lady in it with little or no clothing, and we have a successful marketing campaign aimed at young-to-middle aged men.

Doesn't matter what the product is - the imagry is what matters.

Cartel Boss ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I've worked as a graphic artist at various ad agencies for over a decade and I have to say that "sex sells" is a bit of a myth. Sex gets eyes on your ad, but it doesn't necessarily close the deal. There's a lot more to it than that. In fact, sex can be the worst thing a company can do with their campaign. Sexual imagery has to support a larger idea. In this case it's the idea that PVs aren't for dorks, they're for hot chix.
    "When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Senior Member ECF Veteran

"9 out of 10 prostitutes recommend e-cigs..."

Eh, at least they're not displaying them in a soda-fountain setting, showcasing their "31 delicious flavors".

RsL
    Super Member ECF Veteran

That's it. I'm buying one of those Inlife e-cigs right now!

PV Master ECF Veteran

Advertisers "target" audiences. It's a fact that Kool and Newport ads were plastered in "black" neighborhoods. A much higher percentage of blacks preferred menthol brands over regular flavor cigarettes. Where an ad appears says something about both product and advertiser.

So I'm taking a look at the Internet's seamy underside yesterday, strolling through the backwater ghetto called Bittorrent, where pirated programs, music, movies, etc. can be downloaded at no cost. On both Isohunt and btjunkie, major search engines for bittorrent, the banner ad was for ...

Blu. The fairly new e-cigarette that claims 22,000 sales in only a few weeks.

Yeh, yeh, yeh .. it's not criminal. But I'm disappointed in them nonetheless. Janty or Ruyan would never stoop that low.

How else would you market the e-cig? What else would get it noticed as well as sexy girls?

Very good threat, I wanted to make it, but I coudn't, because I a new member.
    Please add all advertisements which you have seen in internet, youtube, pictures banners and so on...

We are selling e-cigs in Estonian store over a year and I am searching new ways and ideas to advertise our store and Janty e-cigarettes. Right now we have had TV, radio, magazine, newspaper advertisements... But I would like to see how it is advetised in US or UK...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast