Thread: Utah planning to add use of eCigs to definition of smoking

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Godshall View Post
    The Deseret News Article is at
    Bill to ban e-cigarettes, hookah smoking passes House | Deseret News

Amazingly (in my mind), right after the Utah House approved the bill to ban e-cigarette use in all public places, the House then approved a bill (sponsored by Paul Ray) that would allow loaded guns to be carried in all public places.
    House passes bill that would stop citations for carrying guns openly | The Salt Lake Tribune
    I think it might be time for someone in Utah to introduce a PV that looks like a loaded gun!
    TomCatt likes this.

Vaping Since 12/20/10 With No Analogs. REO 4 The Win!
    Donate to WE ARE VAPERS: www.indiegogo.com/WeAreVapers
    Join CASAA and Help Win the Fight! (it's Free!!):
    casaa.org

Senior Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Well, despite all efforts, the Committee voted it on to the full Senate.

CASAA Call to Action page has been updated.

Utah Call to Action

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TennDave View Post
    I think it might be time for someone in Utah to introduce a PV that looks like a loaded gun!
    And then maybe you should let some of the Utah legislators try it out!

casaa.org

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Godshall View Post
    Last night, I also e-mailed an alert to about 800 e-cigarette consumers and vendors, and other tobacco harm reduction advocates urging them to contact the Utah Senators in opposition to HB 245 S3.
    Got this out about 5am this morning (EST).

Dear Senator:

As one who works with and educates smokers on a daily basis, I strongly urge you to OPPOSE HB 245 S3 "Amendment to Definition of Smoking in Utah Indoor Clean Air Act" http://le.utah.gov/~2012/bills/hbillint/hb0245s03.pdf because it would falsely redefine "smoking" to include the use of smokefree electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), and because it would unjustifiably ban the use of these nonpolluting lifesaving products in every private workplace in Utah.

Personally, I smoked 2-3 packs of cigarettes for 28 years. I used NRT products repeatedly over the years. They failed me. Now, I know that rather than failure on my part, it is the products, when used as directed by an inveterate smoker, that failed. Not the other way around as I was lead to believe for the last 2 decades. After discovering the electronic cigarette, I haven't smoked, or desired to smoke, a single cigarette. That's been over a year now that I have used vapor instead of smoke.

I work now to educate smokers on all of the risks associated with smoking as well as all of the risks associated with non-smoking options.

The single largest demographic of people I work with are over the age of 50 that have smoked since childhood. They are experiencing the health damage of smoking. This damage is anything from shortness of breath, to COPD, to emphysema, to lung cancer. Every single one has tried NRT and/or "cold turkey" quitting repeatedly. Like me, NRT failed every one of them.. All that chose to try the electronic cigarette, have dramatically decreased their smoking or have stopped smoking altogether. The latter is by far the largest portion of the group. Of those that have switched to an electronic cigarette completely, all have experience increased lung function, improved health as reported by them and their healthcare providers.

Many that have chosen to use an electronic cigarette have done so for non-health-related reasons: don't like the smell, the high cash outlay for cigarettes, being "a smoker," the inconvenience of not smoking at work, etc. Whatever their initial reason for using an electronic cigarette, many have stopped smoking completely. Some in this group have "quit by accident." They simply began to chose vapor over smoke more and more until they are no longer burning tobacco and subjecting themselves to the +5300 chemicals in tobacco smoke. For those that continue to smoke, isn't it far better for them to smoke 2 cigarettes a day rather than 20 cigarettes a day?

I would ask you to think of a smoker (if you know one). Chances are, the following is true:
    • They stink
    • Their skin has an unhealthy hue
    • If longtime smoker, they have leathery, prematurely aging skin
    • They have difficulty breathing at times
    • They know the health risks
    • They may have serious health problems most likely caused by their smoking
    • They are unhappy about being "a smoker"
    • Family members and friends are worried about them being "a smoker"

I would ask you to think of a "vaper" (if you know one). Chances are, the following is true:
    • They do not stink
    • Their skin has a healthy hue
    • If longtime "vaper," they drink a lot of water, thus eliminating signs of additional premature aging
    • They have no difficulty breathing
    • They know the health risks
    • They have no health problems associated with their "vaping"
    • They are more physically active now
    • They are happy about being a "non-smoker" / "vaper"
    • Family members and friends are thrilled about their becoming a "non-smoker" / "vaper"

None of the hundreds of smokers I know that have switched to an electronic cigarette have experienced any negative effects.

Lastly, consider this:

• When using an NRT nicotine inhaler, the user does exhale. Therefore, logically, these devices must be included in any legislation that is based on possible risks from the exhaled breath of a nicotine user.
    • Does it really matter why someone chooses to not smoke? Whether the reason be religious, health concerns, odor, or "getting around a smoking ban," the fact that they are not smoking still remains. Isn't that the ultimate goal?
    • Any legislative writ that deems the moon is made out of Swiss cheese will not change the fact that it is made of rock. The same is true of vapor: Vapor is NOT Smoke anymore so than the thick air in a sauna is smoke.
    • A ban on electronic cigarettes is unenforceable. Every military general and school teacher knows that the best way to lose credibility and authority is to create a rule that cannot be enforced.

Again, please OPPOSE HB 245 S3 and don't discourage your people from choosing Life, whatever the basis for their choice!

Always,
    Lorie

Thanks for everything you do, Bill!!! ...Always
    DC2, sanjosse, Jacinda222 and 6 others like this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Good letter Bystander- very heart-felt and real!

casaa.org

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TennDave View Post
    Good letter Bystander- very heart-felt and real!
    Thank you so much, Dave!

...musta done something right, 'cause well, it is, and it is.

Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Last week, the Utah Senate approved the 2nd reading of legislation (H 245) to ban e-cigarette use in public places, Senator Waddoups exaggerates risks and fails to acknowledge products' benefits for smokers.
    Senate - 2012 General Legislative Session Day 38 Part 2 (beginning at 15 minutes into recording)

The bill is now facing a third reading (i.e. a vote to approve the bill and send it to the governor), which could occur this week.

CASAA has issued a Call To Action urging Utah Senate to reject bill (HB 245) to ban e-cigarette use in public places at
    CASAA.org

Although the bill appears likely to be approved by the Utah Senate, that might change if more folks (especially those in Utah) urge the Senators to reject it.
    Last edited by Bill Godshall; 03-05-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Senior Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

This might be our last chance! Please, if you live in Utah, contact our Senators TODAY and ask them not to pass this bill!

Utah Call to Action

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

CJsKee, DC2, rothenbj and 5 others like this.

casaa.org