TVECA demonizes mods, claims they aren't e-cigarettes - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: TVECA demonizes mods, claims they aren't e-cigarettes

Forum Manager Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

A definition we normally use is that a mod is an advanced e-cigarette that uses generic batteries replaceable by the user.

These devices can also be called 2nd-generation and 3rd-generation ecigs. They all have at least one feature that a mini (or 1st-generation ecig) doesn't have, even if that is just extended battery life or more available power due to the larger battery.

The Darwin is an exception to the replaceable battery qualification, as the battery pack is integral.

It is long past the time the term 'mod' was ditched, as these devices are no longer mods (of flashlights or copper tubing etc) in any way. It needs a suitable term that describes a short production run, full-featured, advanced, frequently expensive, 2nd or 3rd generation model that can cost between $60 and $250 or so.

Many suggestions have been made but nothing has stuck, as it didn't feel right. What it needs is for a manufacturer to hit on a snappy term like AVI or Advanced Vapor Inhaler or similar and stick with it, causing others to follow suit. Anything good gets copied pretty fast...
    CJsKee, Stubby, Randyrtx and 1 others like this.
    Forum Manager - contact
    more vapers = less oppression

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by rolygate View Post
    The Darwin is an exception to the replaceable battery qualification, as the battery pack is integral.
    Minor adjustment: The Darwin's battery is replaceable, just not user-replaceable—very easily.

“If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss bank.” (Woody Allen)

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rolygate View Post
    Many suggestions have been made but nothing has stuck, as it didn't feel right. What it needs is for a manufacturer to hit on a snappy term like AVI or Advanced Vapor Inhaler or similar and stick with it, causing others to follow suit. Anything good gets copied pretty fast...
    Roly, ~Zen anticipated you on this. You may not be aware of this, but his House of Hybrids Zenesis model has already been dubbed an "APV", or "Advanced Personal Vaporizer". I don't remember the first time this terminology appeared in his thread, but here's a post from February 7th where it appears: House of Hybrids featuring the Zenesis PV. The term is now used quite regularly on his thread.
    DC2 and TomCatt like this.

In case anyone's wondering WHY I still have the SD as my sig, it's because I got my first ecig in January 2008 but still smoked for 10 months, until I got my first SD. I have other APVs, but also still love and use my SD (with a Bulli on top). I will be forever grateful to Trog for saving my life!

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by yvilla View Post
    Roly, ~Zen anticipated you on this. You may not be aware of this, but his House of Hybrids Zenesis model has already been dubbed an "APV", or "Advanced Personal Vaporizer". I don't remember the first time this terminology appeared in his thread, but here's a post from February 7th where it appears: House of Hybrids featuring the Zenesis PV. The term is now used quite regularly on his thread.
    It is a good expression and not a bad transition from both MODS and E Cigs. Incidentally Yvilla, it was your mention of Screwdrivers that persuaded me to buy one. However, I just replaced it with a Variable Voltage APV that knocks the socks off my previous SD.
    TomCatt likes this.

Forum Manager Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Yes, APV is good - thanks Yvilla.

I don't like anything with vaporizer or juice in it because those terms were hijacked by the ecig crowd and were already in use for other stuff. It doesn't do us any good when web searches for 'vaporizer' also pull up loads of stuff we don't want to be associated with. However if APV is more popular than AVI or anything else that turns up, then it's all better than 'mods' anyway.
    TomCatt likes this.
    Forum Manager - contact
    more vapers = less oppression

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I agree with APV too...we don't want 2nd and 3rd gen as then the FDA will certainly claim they aren't the same as what was in production circa 2008 (I think that's the cut off year they keep harping about- correct me if I'm wrong)

Vaping Since 12/20/10 With No Analogs. REO 4 The Win!
    Join CASAA: casaa.org

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by TennDave View Post
    I agree with APV too...we don't want 2nd and 3rd gen as then the FDA will certainly claim they aren't the same as what was in production circa 2008 (I think that's the cut off year they keep harping about- correct me if I'm wrong)
    I believe it's 2007, but the more important point is whether they can control the hardware. My opinion, for what it's worth, is they can not unless it's sold with a tobacco product, nicquid.
    DC2, TomCatt and JD4x4 like this.

Everyone knows that "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms" should be a convenience store, not a government agency
    CJsKee, Vocalek, firechick and 1 others like this.

Mac
    Blog Entries

Give em hell, Bill. You are still my hero.
    Boognish likes this.
    I'd hate to advocate nicotine use, violence and insanity. But they've always worked for me.

Since the big retailers of PV's such as Blu and SmokeEverywhere only sell small battery, poor performing, mini-battery models that are all made in China, as well as the over priced prefilled cartridges, it's obvious they are interested in protecting their over priced, poor performing models from competition.

But the same manufacturers that they get their products from also sell larger battery (so-called modified - mod) PV's such as the eGo, Kgo, Riva, Lavatube, etc. These manufacturers do not see these models as not being PV's. They are just a different model PV.

If you follow Kiklas's rationale, the Model T-Ford is an automobile and every thing that came after it (modified) is not an automoblie.
    Last edited by wv2win; 03-31-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    VaporPhreak, TennDave and VapRon like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast