Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Antifreeze in liquid?

Super Member ECF Veteran

Default Antifreeze in liquid?

My husband, the news junkie, had told me that he heard on 2 different programs the e-liquid coming from China has antifreeze in it. Forgive me if I am behind on this bit of news.
    I of course dismiss mostly any bad news he brings me because The News tends to bash e-cigs left & right.

Where can I find information on this? Is it one major company, literally everythig coming from China, or just liquids made everywhere? (I see some US companies claiming, "We make our own liquid right here!" and not sure if I always believe that.) Sigh. Or is it simply an ugly rumor?

Silly question: Is there somewhere I could take samples to be tested? (Albeit, e-cigs have cut my cig useage in half but I am still awfully paranoid)

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Check out Fda news release. They found less than 1% of diethylene glycol, an ingredient found in antifreeze, in one of the 19 cartridges. It is a carcinogen. It was made by SE.

They also found nitrosamines in over half the cartridges, which are also carcinogenic.

You can find the Final Report on FDA Analyses here.

Regardless of the bad news, it doesn't prove that e-cigs are as bad or worse than cigarettes. Remember, there are over 40 carcinogens in a cigarette. It still appears to be a safer alternative, but could be much better with some quality control/regulation.
    Last edited by Phayah; 07-25-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Full Member ECF Veteran

My husband, the news junkie, had told me that he heard on 2 different programs the e-liquid coming from China has antifreeze in it
    Orange juice contains water.
    Water is in anti-freeze.
    My Orange juice has anti-freeze in it.

Read around the forum lots of info about this.
    Look for scary acronyms - DEG and scary names- Diethylene Glycol.

Is there somewhere I could take samples to be tested?
    Yellow pages? Many companies have tested the e-liquid, again look around the forum.

Full Member ECF Veteran

I think anything found in ecig juice is a million times safer then what is in cigarettes...

PV Master ECF Veteran

Not good to poke fun at carcinogens and contaminants found in e-liquid. I understand the temptation to be sarcastic, but others are taking on rebuttal of the claims with facts, not emotion. You want to turn off the pubic? Get cute and catty about the FDA. That'll put support on their side in a hurry.

I attended a funeral yesterday and everyone who knew me there had the same remarks: "You still using that fake cigarette?" "You hear that there's antifreeze in that stuff you're inhaling?"

The FDA remarks impacted everyone I met. We have a lot of work ahead of us if we expect to either correct the remarks or, most importantly, convince that agency to let e-cigs and liquid remain on the market until controls are firmly in place.

This ain't fun 'n' games with a parlor toy. And it certainly isn't about taxes. It's about a drug product that has to meet the same standards met by every other similar product on the market. If that had been done, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Until it is done, we'll continue to scream and knash our teeth about "freedoms" and "conspiracies" and "corruption" and "payoffs", with zero positive effect and at the expense of whatever public support we might now have.

Super Member ECF Veteran

And there's mercury in fish too!
    I think just breating we expose ourselves to all kindsa crap..we probably breath more than what they found every day just by being...

Its all scare tactics!

Full Member ECF Veteran

They found less than 1% of diethylene glycol, an ingredient found in antifreeze, in one of the 19 cartridges. It is a carcinogen
    Do you have a link that shows diethylene glycol is a carcinogen? As far as I can tell it is not carcinogenic. International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has not evaluated carcinogenicity. Neither has American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists. The US National Toxicology Program (NTP) has no listing.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoast2 View Post
    Do you have a link that shows diethylene glycol is a carcinogen? As far as I can tell it is not carcinogenic. International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has not evaluated carcinogenicity. Neither has American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists. The US National Toxicology Program (NTP) has no listing.
    The only link I have that says it's carcinogenic is the one that leads to the FDA report. If it has not been evaluated that does not mean it isn't a carcinogen. We would need more definitive proof to call the FDA liars.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Diethylene glycol is not a carcinogen. Tobacco specific nitrosamines are. Please see this thread for more information:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...22-repost.html

This should put your mind at ease and give you the tools to carry on those discussions in an intelligent manner.

-Nate

Quote Originally Posted by TheIllustratedMan View Post
    Diethylene glycol is not a carcinogen. Tobacco specific nitrosamines are. Please see this thread for more information:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...22-repost.html

This should put your mind at ease and give you the tools to carry on those discussions in an intelligent manner.

-Nate
    Very nice. Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast