Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: NJOY released third-party “Technical Review and Analysis of FDA Report”

  1. #11
    PV Master ECF Veteran grimmer255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    somewhere out there......
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    wow you have a good point.....i hope this report hits the media at scale stronger than the FDA's. Make the FDA wish they just let the ecigs go...grab them by the balls and make them cry. We need this because this is our last chance....they might as well go all out because if they dont........ kiss this product good bye.
    Smoke Free since 2009... e-vapor 4 Life


  2. #12
    ECF Guru ECF Veteran wv2win's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    GA by way of WV
    Posts
    11,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grimmer255 View Post
    wow you have a good point.....i hope this report hits the media at scale stronger than the FDA's. Make the FDA wish they just let the ecigs go...grab them by the balls and make them cry. We need this because this is our last chance....they might as well go all out because if they dont........ kiss this product good bye.
    It's really incumbent upon Njoy and the ECA to get this into the media's hands and for both Njoy & the ECA to make some very strong statements about the bias of the FDA, forcing them to respond.

    When will the ECA get serious?

  3. #13
    Full Member ECF Veteran Belushi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    100

    Default

    My opinion, FDA isn't going to role over in the public media. If there isn't any behind the scene discussions going on then the e-cig is on it's why out from public view for now.

    Basically, the FDA has laid down their statement and can't back down from those statements without something to hang their hat on. Any reports/comment I've hear, seem to always have some hint regarding no studies from the manufacturer has been submitted.

    The FDA just isn't going to say "oh man, I screwed up, we are just a big blotted bureaucratic agency catering to big tobacco as laid out by congress and anti-smoking groups. You are right just go ahead and market your e-cigs".

    Rather, the manufactures are going to have to come up with some numbers and submit a proposal to the FDA. After a-bit of back-and-fourth (e.g in private) the FDA says ok you can market with these rules (e.g . can't say that, proof of quality controls, pretty study to present to the public, .....). Any other resolution is going to have to go through the courts.

  4. #14
    Senior Member ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markarich159 View Post

    I disagree, I feel the bolded statement is the most powerful in the entire summation. The FDA labeling, adverstising and package insert requirement is different for direct to consumer ads as opposed to medical professional literature. For direct to consumer ads, literature there only has to be "fair and balanced" disclosure between good and bad(which is why at the end of every Rx commercial they quickly mention a list of the 5 or 10 most reported side effects). For the medical professional ads, literature, labeling and package insert info, a much higher standard of "FULL DISCLOSURE" is REQUIRED by law. Therefore, in medical literature, EVERY pertinent fact, good or bad, ever found, must be included by the manufacturer. . So the Fact that the manufacturers of NRT's did NOT include ANY info about TSNA's in their medical literature(doctor ad's, professional package inserts, labeling etc..) shows, without a shadow of a doubt, that FDA did not consider this fact to have any clinical significance AT ALL in the past. Therefore, they did not require the manufacturers of NRT's to have to even mention it in their professional literature. If the FDA truly thought TSNA's were any type of short or long term threat, they would have required every NRT manufacturer to specifically reference the TSNA content and warning in their professional literature. So basically the bolded statement you referenced in the summation proves the FDA is just making this TSNA hysteria up after the fact.
    BRAVO MARKARICH!

  5. #15
    ECF Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markarich159 View Post

    If the FDA truly thought TSNA's were any type of short or long term threat, they would have required every NRT manufacturer to specifically reference the TSNA content and warning in their professional literature. So basically the bolded statement you referenced in the summation proves the FDA is just making this TSNA hysteria up after the fact.
    The issue here goes to longevity of use. The Clinical Data on the baseline product that was used---that being Nicotrol is straight forward and very well spelled out:

    WARNINGS
    Nicotine from any source can be toxic and addictive... the risk of nicotine replacement in a smoking cessation program should be weighed against the hazard of continued smoking, and the likelihood of achieving cessation of smoking without nicotine replacement


    PRECAUTIONS

    Sustained use (beyond 6 months) of NICOTROL NS by patients who stop smoking is not recommended and should be discouraged. The clinical findings is not for extended use of the product beyond six months .

    It can be readily scene that the use of NRT's balances the harm to the benefit and that the use of these products is not for an indefinate period of time like the e-cig. So it is that not that the clinical trials of approved drugs like Nicotrol dismissed the carciniginic by-products, rather they weighted the risk to benefit for short term use of these products in an effort to get the patient off of cigarettes.

    On the otherhand the e-cig is marketed for an "indefinate use" time and hence must withstand the scrutinity of these by-products being induced over a long period of time by human consuption.

    Sun





  6. #16
    Super Member ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Here in the UK you can buy NRT's in a Chemist shop over the counter without a prescription. Gum (flavoured), cig type's, patches of all different brands and the chemist will sell it to your for as long as you want. I know a lady who has been chewing Nicorette Gum for 3 years and smoking at the same time!

  7. #17
    Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    CJsKee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deewal View Post
    Here in the UK you can buy NRT's in a Chemist shop over the counter without a prescription. Gum (flavoured), cig type's, patches of all different brands and the chemist will sell it to your for as long as you want. I know a lady who has been chewing Nicorette Gum for 3 years and smoking at the same time!

    I've got an aunt that's been chewing Nicorette gum for 20+ years...she's 87...bet she'd love my e-cig

    But remember, life is a sexually transmitted disease that is 100% fatal.--cappadoc

  8. #18
    Senior Member ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Vaporer View Post
    While I find this a very good report---I note two things.

    (1) NJOY did this report subsequent to the FDA's report, while they stated that they had already done a study? So where is the first study?

    and

    (2) NJOY stated that their report did not contain any of the chemicals found by the FDA and their lab results were as clean as a whistle---this is not the case here. It appears the results are acceptably reasonable by all means.
    1) How could have this report been prepared prior to the FDA releasing the report? It was a Technical Review and Analysis of FDA Report: “Evaluation of e-cigarettes”

    2) Any reference to lab testing refers to FDA lab testing. No lab tests were performed by Exponent in this Technical Review and Analysis of FDA Report: “Evaluation of e-cigarettes”

    We should all try and keep the facts straight here. I don't know what happened to Njoy's lab tests--or even if they were ever performed. They are still in litigation. That's all I know.

    Mike

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Near the Outer Banks of NC
    Posts
    222

    Default

    IMO,Its the best response to the FDA "report" yet. Mainly due to the scientific data provided to back up their claims. I felt my habit was relatively safe before.This managed to not only reinforce that, but show its likely even MORE SAFE than what I thought.
    They even brought to light other information ive never read anywhere else in regards to safety.
    My first PV was a NPRO. I havent been especially kind to the unit as far as recomendations go, but I feel good that I helped support NJOY in some small way.
    Last edited by DuneBuggy; 08-05-2009 at 11:30 AM.

  10. #20
    Super Member ECF Veteran gatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJsKee View Post
    I've got an aunt that's been chewing Nicorette gum for 20+ years...she's 87...bet she'd love my e-cig
    Honestly the only people I have ever met who have quit with Nicorette gum still chew the stuff like their life depends on it. The idea that the other NRT plans are short term crutches to quit nicotine is such a scam IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks