Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: York County, PA, to ban e-cigs in public housing

TNT
    Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default York County, PA, to ban e-cigs in public housing

Residents protest proposed smoking ban in York Housing Authority homes - The York Daily Record

The article, in today's York Daily Record newspaper, talks about banning smoking in public housing. Near the end of the article there's a rather bizarre question and answer about the scope of the law:

Resident: What about Glaucoma and other medical conditions that require residents to smoke?

Official: Smoking ......... is never permitted in public housing. Smokeless tobacco will still be permitted, but electronic cigarettes will also be banned.
    Another link in the article -- http://yorkhousingauthority.com/file...e%20policy.pdf -- leads to the official rules from the housing authority itself. The rules mention "smoking" is banned. The closest the rules come to defining "smoking," is:

7. For the health and safety of the Housing Authority employees and their representatives, no resident shall have any type of tobacco or related product burning at such time as any employee or representative of the Housing Authority enters and remains in their housing unit. If any resident refuses to put out the burning tobacco or related product prior to the employee or representative entering the unit, or if the resident lights a tobacco or related product while an employee or representative remains in the apartment, the employee or representative shall vacate the apartment immediately and not return until such time as there is no longer any tobacco or related product burning. This may result in a delay of services to the unit/apartment.
    Note the use of the word, "burning" throughout the entire paragraph.

It seems the housing authority has never actually seen an e-cig.

DC2
    I'm Chucked Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Mailing Address:
    York Housing Authority
    31 South Broad Street
    York, PA 17403

Phone: (717) 845-2601
    Fax: (717) 845-9251
    TDD Phone: (717) 846-9157

CASAA Activist Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Residents protest proposed smoking ban in York Housing Authority homes - The York Daily Record

The article, in today's York Daily Record newspaper, talks about banning smoking in public housing. Near the end of the article there's a rather bizarre question and answer about the scope of the law:

Another link in the article -- http://yorkhousingauthority.com/file...e%20policy.pdf -- leads to the official rules from the housing authority itself. The rules mention "smoking" is banned. The closest the rules come to defining "smoking," is:

Note the use of the word, "burning" throughout the entire paragraph.

It seems the housing authority has never actually seen an e-cig.
    Maybe they think we use batteries to set fire to tobacco.
    dee5, grandmato5 and TennDave like this.

----
    Support CASAA -http://www.casaa.org/Donate_LKWE.html ---

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Or to put it another way,.....exactly how do they plan to stop us when we're vamping up a storm? Why do all the ignorant arrogant nitwits go into legislation? Where are the smart ones?

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

vamping? uhhh....should be Vaping lol
    mwplefty likes this.

DC2
    I'm Chucked Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne777702 View Post
    Why do all the ignorant arrogant nitwits go into legislation? Where are the smart ones?
    Here's my take on it...

There are probably plenty of smart and well-meaning folks that go into politics.
    You'll find them at the lower levels of government, such as City Councils and the like.

Their bad decisions can often be put down to ignorance, and lack of time to research the fundamentals of each and every issue.
    And media brain-washing, and trusted sources of information that are often very misleading and even deceptive.

This is why CASAA (and those of us who support them) have been able to have such an impact at those levels.

CASAA, and those vapors who care enough to write letters and appear in person when possible are the ones making a difference.
    Education can often go a long way in these venues, for these people are often well-meaning at this point.

And I hope as we get to be a larger force, we will not only continue to do so, but become even more effective.

But sadly, in my opinion, an honest and well-intentioned politician can not get very far in the political arena under most circumstances.
    The system is built on compromise, give-and-take, and scratching backs.

In other words, it is completely corrupted.

And then there are those who get into politics knowing all these things.
    And in fact, looking forward to them, and counting on them.

They are very likely also quite smart most of the time, but they never were well-intentioned.
    They are the ones that move up the ranks, the ones that advance, because they are working with the system.

It seems unlikely to me that the system was purposely designed this way.
    It's just that human nature tends to make the system this way.

And really, I think that rule applies to pretty much every political system on the face of the earth.
    From the beginning of time.

I really hope I'm wrong, because this is not a conclusion I enjoy having arrived at.
    Last edited by DC2; 06-13-2012 at 10:23 PM.
    JustJulie, Stosh and TennDave like this.

CASAA Activist Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

There's a ring of truth to what you say, DC2.

----
    Support CASAA -http://www.casaa.org/Donate_LKWE.html ---

Full Member ECF Veteran

OPEN LETTER TO BIG PHARMA FRONT GROUPS...

Dear ASH, ANR, CTFK:

I don't want to inadvertently help you in your goal of enriching your benefactors peddling their gums and patches. You are pros and know that what you are doing is a joke. You have to find different tricks to coerce vapers to buy your sponsors products.

This is unenforceable. Ecigs are odorless you dumbasses. Your model legislation is a joke. I live in NJ where your pharma buddies passed a ban and I COULD vape in my office all day. I don't. I go outside in the rain and cold. I only chew Nicorette in my office.

Find some different lies to keep your six figure job and keep paying the lease on your Mercedes Benz E350.
    Electronic Cigarettes prove for the 7,548,754,209th time in history that human engenuity ALWAYS beats central planning and fascism.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Who am I kidding?

I blow vapor at the computer screen while laughing hysterically about what you would have to do in a real job.

God has a sense of humor.
    Electronic Cigarettes prove for the 7,548,754,209th time in history that human engenuity ALWAYS beats central planning and fascism.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Who am I kidding?

I blow vapor at the computer screen while laughing hysterically about what you would have to do in a real job.

God has a sense of humor.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast