Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Editor of journal Tobacco Control refuses to discuss the issues

DC2
    I'm Chucked Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vocalek View Post
    Just one correction, Kristin. In order to complete their demonization of tobacco companies and products, they changed

- 443,000 smokers die from smoking-related diseases every year.

to
    -- 443,000 tobacco-related deaths

Implying that the number estimates include deaths from other type of tobacco products, which isn't true.
    This is the thing that makes my blood boil.

THEY have switched tactics many times...

First it was smoking that was evil, which most could agree on.
    Then it became tobacco that was evil, which is where they entered into the realm of BS.
    Then it became nicotine is evil, because that is their last resort.

Their motivation is clear. Their desperation is evident. Their lies are defeatable. And their days are numbered.

We WILL beat these monsters some day soon.
    And they will have to find new jobs and new ways to profit from their "public health" scams.

Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Please note that Ruth Malone has worked for Stan Glantz at UCSF for the past 2 decades, and both are prohibitionists who want to destroy the existing tobacco industry and ban all tobacco products.

Also, Glantz, Malone and other UC tobacco prohibitionists led the campaign 5-10 years ago to ban all tobacco industry sponsored research at the University of California.

Its also important to note that Glantz and Malone did NOT urge Congress to enact the FSPTCA (because they knew Philip Morris negotiated and drafted the bill to protect its Marlboro cigarette empire, and because the legislation does/did virtually nothing to reduce tobacco use.

And during the past several years, Malone and Glantz have urged the FDA to ban menthol cigarettes, and they've criticized the FDA for not banning menthol cigarettes.

Malone's letter rejecting the FDA's invitation to participate on a FDA panel, and her urging other tobacco prohibitionists to similarly boycott the FDA's Third Party Governance panels is very good news for science, scientific research, tobacco harm reduction and public health, as these extremist prohibitionists (who have writen and published junk science and propaganda attacking all tobacco companies and all tobacco products, including e-cigs) should not be allowed to serve on any FDA panel.

Several key reasons why Glantz, Malone and others at UC (especially at UCSF) are obsessed with hating all tobacco companies is because they've read tens of thousands of industry documents from the 1950's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's (that were accessed during state and DOJ lawsuits against tobacco companies), because they've actively urged (for the past decade) the DOJ to impose far more punative penalties against cigarette companies (and criticizing states and the DOJ for not being more aggressive against the industry during litigation), and because they have longstanding policies of not meeting with or talking to anyone affiliated with the industry.

In reality, Glantz, Malone and other tobacco prohibitonists know very little about the tobacco industry (other than to hating it), and are delusionally still living in the 1990's (as they truly believe that the industry hasn't changed in the past 25 years).

Now, maybe FDA will get some objective panelist for its Third Party Governance panel, and maybe the FDA has finally realized that tobacco harm reduction advocates are the truly objective and dedicated public health advocates, and that tobacco prohibitonists are only interested in banning and demonizing all things tobacco.
    Last edited by Bill Godshall; 02-07-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    jamie, CJsKee, DC2 and 3 others like this.

Everyone on the planet is opposed to tobacco except those in the industry
    and their customers. If it even reminds the public of tobacco ...
    They are opposed to it.

We definitely are fighting an up-hill battle
    So, if we lie to the government, its a Felony.
    But if they lie to us ... it's Politics.

PV Master Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Petrodus View Post
    Everyone on the planet is opposed to tobacco except those in the industry
    and their customers.
    The ANTZ would have you believe that, Petrodus. The truth is that the vast majority of non-smokers don't even care about tobacco - or even smoking - so long as it isn't annoying them. Most people were perfectly happy with non-smoking and smoking section, which is why most non-smokers are OK with vaping (since it's not as annoying or irritating as smoke.) It's a minority if non-smokers, ex-smokers and smoker's loved ones who blame tragedy on tobacco who are ANTZ and that are the loudest and call the shots. The squeaky wheel and all that...

Our greatest hurtle is the apathy for tobacco and a willingness to take the path of least resistance - not the hatred of tobacco.
    Fiamma likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kristin View Post
    The ANTZ would have you believe that, Petrodus. The truth is that the vast majority of non-smokers don't even care about tobacco - or even smoking - so long as it isn't annoying them. Most people were perfectly happy with non-smoking and smoking sections. It's a minority if non-smokers, ex-smokers and smoker's loved ones who blame tragedy on tobacco who are ANTZ and that are the loudest and call the shots. The squeaky wheel and all that...

Our greatest hurtle is the apathy for tobacco and a willingness to take the path of least resistance - not the hatred of tobacco.
    OK ... I was exaggerating somewhat

I'm really not a student of the ANTZ movement.
    Just made that comment from witnessing the movement around the world

The lying ANTZ is the motivational force ...
    However, the bottom line ... from this observers eyes
    There's a world-wide intense effort to ban e-cigarettes
    and restrict the use of tobacco ... since they can't/won't out-law it.

Who all is behind it is interesting and important to know.
    However, the bottom line remains the same.
    E-smoking and harm reduction is under attack ... All around the world.
    Fiamma likes this.
    So, if we lie to the government, its a Felony.
    But if they lie to us ... it's Politics.

PV Master Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran

I think it's still important to understand we are fighting a vocal minority, so we can figure out how to win over the majority.
    DC2, sonicdsl and RosaJ like this.

CASAA Activist Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

----
    Support CASAA -http://www.casaa.org/Donate_LKWE.html ---

DC2
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Godshall View Post
    Please note that Ruth Malone has worked for Stan Glantz at UCSF for the past 2 decades...
    That is all anyone needs to know about Ruth Malone.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

My god, is it just me or is she a real obnoxious witch? I wanted to use a "B" there, but was PC. I wish there was some integrity in some of these schools. However, I have found that most CA based groups are very one sided in their thinking and if you don't like it you are either killing someone, racist.....etc.
    sonicdsl likes this.

DC2
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaNoob View Post
    My god, is it just me or is she a real obnoxious witch? I wanted to use a "B" there, but was PC. I wish there was some integrity in some of these schools. However, I have found that most CA based groups are very one sided in their thinking and if you don't like it you are either killing someone, racist.....etc.
    And they funny thing is, they are the ones killing people.
    But hey, smokers are expendable, right?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast