New US legislative status map - please comment
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: New US legislative status map - please comment

  1. #1
    ECF Founder Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    SmokeyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,621
    Blog Entries
    1

    Exclamation New US legislative status map - please comment

    Hi people,

    A quick heads up that I'm currently constructing a map of legislation past and current to give a visual picture of the situation to ECFers who perhaps weren't aware of what's going on.

    In particular, I will be placing a call to action icon on any state with a current CASAA call to action, with details contained within the text box and a link to the relevant C2A page.

    Additionally, I will be color coding the states and counties according to their status. Please take a look at the draft page and give me your feedback.

    Once this is ready (soon) I will have a link to it from every forum on ECF.

    SJ
    Last edited by SmokeyJoe; 04-11-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Updating link
    JustJulie, Ardo, Uma and 21 others like this.

  2. #2
    Super Member ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cache Oklahoma
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Great idea!
    btw love that Oklahoma stands out

  3. #3
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Great idea ! It looks good.

  4. #4
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Berylanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    south Bay Area, California
    Posts
    2,035
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    For now, WONDERFUL!

    Long-term:

    I think a state prone to county and city bans should be striped a pale orange no matter what the main color of the state is. Or something.

    For instance the BIG RED arrow on Sacrament is appropriate but there could be a little black or something (for already done) around Contra Costa County and some marking addable to Petaluma, San Francisco. Would it be Wiki-ized so that people can update without bothering you? I'd put small red arrow for Palo Alto (I think...haven't heard lately) so that people realize the danger we are in.

    Or maybe a special color for smaller units where I don't think CASAA should be expected to be involved but locals might care. CERTAINLY I would care if it were my city.

    Or...maybe a big "To get email alerts about your own city, county, and state subscribe to CASAA"

    Not sure exactly.

    In any case, THANK YOU for the big effort so far!
    Uma and cherrycakes like this.
    “When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.”
    Lois McMaster Bujold, Memory

  5. #5
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    ClippinWings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    1,641
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Nice to see California has claimed part of Mexico

    LOL, All joking aside, great map so far... thanks



  6. #6
    ECF Founder Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    SmokeyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,621
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Thanks Berylanna,

    Unfortunately, the software is limited to a palette of plain colors - no stripes I'm afraid, however we can have different line and fill colors. Also, it's not wiki-izeable, it has to be done by hand. Not a problem, though. I'm happy to keep it updated.

    One thing I haven't yet done is to create a legend to explain what the colors mean. That will be done asap.

    By the way, there shouldn't be a big red arrow there at all! Costa County is colored red, and California is colored yellow - under threat. I'm not 100% about the coloring at the moment and up for suggestions.

    Thanks!

    SJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Berylanna View Post
    For now, WONDERFUL!

    Long-term:

    I think a state prone to county and city bans should be striped a pale orange no matter what the main color of the state is. Or something.

    For instance the BIG RED arrow on Sacrament is appropriate but there could be a little black or something (for already done) around Contra Costa County and some marking addable to Petaluma, San Francisco. Would it be Wiki-ized so that people can update without bothering you? I'd put small red arrow for Palo Alto (I think...haven't heard lately) so that people realize the danger we are in.

    Or maybe a special color for smaller units where I don't think CASAA should be expected to be involved but locals might care. CERTAINLY I would care if it were my city.

    Or...maybe a big "To get email alerts about your own city, county, and state subscribe to CASAA"

    Not sure exactly.

    In any case, THANK YOU for the big effort so far!

  7. #7
    ECF Founder Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    SmokeyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,621
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClippinWings View Post
    Nice to see California has claimed part of Mexico

    LOL, All joking aside, great map so far... thanks
    OK, that is something I need to get fixed

  8. #8
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Berylanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    south Bay Area, California
    Posts
    2,035
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
    Thanks Berylanna,

    Unfortunately, the software is limited to a palette of plain colors - no stripes I'm afraid, however we can have different line and fill colors. Also, it's not wiki-izeable, it has to be done by hand. Not a problem, though. I'm happy to keep it updated.

    One thing I haven't yet done is to create a legend to explain what the colors mean. That will be done asap.

    By the way, there shouldn't be a big red arrow there at all! Costa County is colored red, and California is colored yellow - under threat. I'm not 100% about the coloring at the moment and up for suggestions.

    Thanks!

    SJ
    Hmm, I guess Contra Costa county is shaped like an arrow.
    “When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.”
    Lois McMaster Bujold, Memory

  9. #9
    Administrator Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    retired1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    21,796
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I can see this turning into something pretty darned useful. Great job so far.

    A thought. By clicking on a state, you could then take them to a statewide page that lists all the pro or anti legislation that has occurred. Whether by city, county or state level. That would be a rather HUGE project, though.

  10. #10
    ECF Founder Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    SmokeyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,621
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berylanna View Post
    Hmm, I guess Contra Costa county is shaped like an arrow.
    Haha! Hmmmn, that might be problematic though....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks