Like Tree47Likes

Thread: New US legislative status map - please comment

ECF Founder Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Exclamation New US legislative status map - please comment

Hi people,

A quick heads up that I'm currently constructing a map of legislation past and current to give a visual picture of the situation to ECFers who perhaps weren't aware of what's going on.

In particular, I will be placing a call to action icon on any state with a current CASAA call to action, with details contained within the text box and a link to the relevant C2A page.

Additionally, I will be color coding the states and counties according to their status. Please take a look at the draft page and give me your feedback.

Once this is ready (soon) I will have a link to it from every forum on ECF.

SJ
    Last edited by SmokeyJoe; 04-11-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Updating link
    JustJulie, Ardo, Uma and 21 others like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Great idea!
    btw love that Oklahoma stands out

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Great idea ! It looks good.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

For now, WONDERFUL!

Long-term:

I think a state prone to county and city bans should be striped a pale orange no matter what the main color of the state is. Or something.

For instance the BIG RED arrow on Sacrament is appropriate but there could be a little black or something (for already done) around Contra Costa County and some marking addable to Petaluma, San Francisco. Would it be Wiki-ized so that people can update without bothering you? I'd put small red arrow for Palo Alto (I think...haven't heard lately) so that people realize the danger we are in.

Or maybe a special color for smaller units where I don't think CASAA should be expected to be involved but locals might care. CERTAINLY I would care if it were my city.

Or...maybe a big "To get email alerts about your own city, county, and state subscribe to CASAA"

Not sure exactly.

In any case, THANK YOU for the big effort so far!
    Uma and cherrycakes like this.
    “When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.”
    Lois McMaster Bujold, Memory

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Nice to see California has claimed part of Mexico

LOL, All joking aside, great map so far... thanks

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks Berylanna,

Unfortunately, the software is limited to a palette of plain colors - no stripes I'm afraid, however we can have different line and fill colors. Also, it's not wiki-izeable, it has to be done by hand. Not a problem, though. I'm happy to keep it updated.

One thing I haven't yet done is to create a legend to explain what the colors mean. That will be done asap.

By the way, there shouldn't be a big red arrow there at all! Costa County is colored red, and California is colored yellow - under threat. I'm not 100% about the coloring at the moment and up for suggestions.

Thanks!

SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Berylanna View Post
    For now, WONDERFUL!

Long-term:

I think a state prone to county and city bans should be striped a pale orange no matter what the main color of the state is. Or something.

For instance the BIG RED arrow on Sacrament is appropriate but there could be a little black or something (for already done) around Contra Costa County and some marking addable to Petaluma, San Francisco. Would it be Wiki-ized so that people can update without bothering you? I'd put small red arrow for Palo Alto (I think...haven't heard lately) so that people realize the danger we are in.

Or maybe a special color for smaller units where I don't think CASAA should be expected to be involved but locals might care. CERTAINLY I would care if it were my city.

Or...maybe a big "To get email alerts about your own city, county, and state subscribe to CASAA"

Not sure exactly.

In any case, THANK YOU for the big effort so far!

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClippinWings View Post
    Nice to see California has claimed part of Mexico

LOL, All joking aside, great map so far... thanks
    OK, that is something I need to get fixed

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
    Thanks Berylanna,

Unfortunately, the software is limited to a palette of plain colors - no stripes I'm afraid, however we can have different line and fill colors. Also, it's not wiki-izeable, it has to be done by hand. Not a problem, though. I'm happy to keep it updated.

One thing I haven't yet done is to create a legend to explain what the colors mean. That will be done asap.

By the way, there shouldn't be a big red arrow there at all! Costa County is colored red, and California is colored yellow - under threat. I'm not 100% about the coloring at the moment and up for suggestions.

Thanks!

SJ
    Hmm, I guess Contra Costa county is shaped like an arrow.
    “When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.”
    Lois McMaster Bujold, Memory

Administrator Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I can see this turning into something pretty darned useful. Great job so far.

A thought. By clicking on a state, you could then take them to a statewide page that lists all the pro or anti legislation that has occurred. Whether by city, county or state level. That would be a rather HUGE project, though.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Berylanna View Post
    Hmm, I guess Contra Costa county is shaped like an arrow.
    Haha! Hmmmn, that might be problematic though....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast