Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree980Likes

Thread: obamacare and vaping?

Senior Member* ECF Veteran

Default obamacare and vaping?

so the government healtcare marketplaces are impossible to log onto. however, msnbc has this tool NBCU - Affordable Care Act. question number 6 asks if you "use tobacoo". since my wife and i both quit smoking and now vape, how is that question supposed to be answered?? i think the answer is NO we do NOT use tobacco. vaping does NOT = smoking. its actually very simple, someone who vapes, uses the gum, the patch, snus, or even chews does NOT take the same risks as someone who smokes a pack per day of marlboros. someone who smokes the occasional pipe or cigar also does not take the same risks as some who smokes cigarettes either. my wife and i will both answer no. there should be several options for tobacoo use, like do you smoke cigarettes? do you use other nicotine products? i have no problem paying a SMALL premuim charge because i vape, because well i take a small risk. i certainlly DO NOT think that i should have to pay full cigarette surcharge if i am never going to smoking related diseases

i have insurance but my wife does not, as the family plan where i work is $100 per week. a single plan is only $33 per week. so the family plan where i work meets the definition of un-afforable as per the afforable healthcare act. my wife hurt her back and cannot go back to her old job so she is re-training for a different job, as a result we lost the great insurance we once had that she carried at her prevous job. once she gets a job we will not longer be elligible for the tax incentive for insurance that costs more the 9.5% of the household income.

basically if both members of the house work then you can no get the tax incentive
    Last edited by ad356; 10-01-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    2coils likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

As a Vaper... under the law as currently wirtten, it appears you will be liable for the smoking surcharge.

they base it on Cotinine levels in the blood... not on the physical act of smoking.

A habitual nicotine gum or snus user would also have to pay.
    Uma likes this.

I will just pay the penalty.
    meanckz likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Maryland, USA Between the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay
    Blog Entries

Here is your answer!

No Vaping.jpg
    Thunderball, NoBS, meanckz and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranic85 View Post
    I will just pay the penalty.
    Heard today on the news ...
    The number one question being asked today
    is what's the penalty for not signing up ??

Taking bets the OCA will eventually morph into a
    single payer system ... which many speculate was the plan all along.
    ItTechy, williegntx, Uma and 9 others like this.
    So, if we lie to the government, its a Felony.
    But if they lie to us ... it's Politics.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Nicotine is derived from tobacco, they don't care how you get it. My employer told us in no uncertain terms, if you test positive for nicotine after claiming no tobacco use, you get fired. I used to pay the tobacco surcharge which was pretty painful. It was a big incentive for me to get myself nicotine free. I'm glad I did. Next year my insurance is going to go down even more than it did last year.

I don't know how those exchanges work but if you were paying for that out of your own pocket and the insurance company found out you lied about nicotine after you have oh, maybe a heart attack , they could probably revoke your policy and deny your claim. You'd have committed fraud against them.
    I strongly advise you to bite the bullet and pay the surcharge.

BTW, When I got myself down to 1/4mg per ml I tested myself for nicotine. It come up positive. "Smoker" no less, not even "Second Hand Smoke. "
    Last edited by cookiebun; 10-01-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    AttyPops likes this.

Senior Member ECF Veteran Penner's Avatar

Thank the democrats.

Obamacare = 100% voted for by democrats. Not one repub vote.

Proud of yourselves? You shot yourselves in the foot.

That Obamacare was going to penalize all nicotine users was known over a year ago (before Obamacare was passed).
    Last edited by Penner; 10-02-2013 at 02:12 AM.
    lauragal, wv2win, cadman and 17 others like this.

This is the problem with big government and the status quo of our political system. Everyday we lose a little bit more freedom. This issue is the straw that broke my camel's back. We are no longer a free nation. Nothing will change as long as we are complacent. 90% of all politicians need to be recalled. We are supposed to have the power, not them. That was the way it was set up. Unfortunately, those who are dependent on entitlements and big money donors have swayed the balance of power to the politicians, who rarely live up to any campaign promise except to cater to future voters and future donors to remain in office.
    lauragal, wv2win, ItTechy and 15 others like this.

Full Member ECF Veteran

According to the way the ACA is written they can ONLY take a penalty from your tax return. So the simple solution is to pay exactly the amount you need to in taxes and not have a return. Or defer taxes until tax season (if your responsible).
    meanckz likes this.

PV Master ECF Veteran WarHawk-AVG's Avatar
    Blog Entries

10char nope nope
    Last edited by WarHawk-AVG; 10-02-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: this aint the outside!!!!

"An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it"
    "A vaper without a multi-meter, is like a Mechanic without a wrench"

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast