News story says 50 complaints submitted to FDA about e-cigs in past year
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: News story says 50 complaints submitted to FDA about e-cigs in past year

Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Default News story says 50 complaints submitted to FDA about e-cigs in past year

Article claims 50 complaints were submitted to FDA about e-cigs in past year, but said the complaints were obtained "according to data obtained through a public records request".
    Reports of e-cigarette injury jump amid rising popularity, U.S. data show | Reuters

The complaints from the public filed with the FDA cited trouble breathing, headache, cough, dizziness, sore throat, nose bleeds, chest pain or other cardiovascular problems, and allergic reactions such as itchiness and swelling of the lips.
    One person told the FDA that while eating dinner at a restaurant a customer at the next table was smoking an e-cigarette.
    "The vapor cloud was big enough to come over my table and the e-cig smoker was 'huffing' it voraciously," the person, whose name was redacted, wrote. "I got dizzy, my eyes began to water and I ended up taking my food to go because of the intense heartbeat I began to develop."

and

Others complained of over-heating devices.
    "The electric cigarette gets hot when you use it and alters the taste buds," wrote one consumer. "I just recently realized what was turning my taste buds black."
    It is not possible to draw general conclusions from individual case reports, but there is a growing recognition that the inconsistent quality of the devices, aside from any risk inherent in the inhalation of nicotine vapor, poses potential safety risks.

While several of the cited complaints appear serious, it appears that most (and perhaps the vast majority) of the 50 complaints were relatively minor events, and I suspect that many complaints about e-cigs were submitted by ANTZ (or were prompted by fearmongering claims by ANTZ).

Regardless, 50 complaints about several hundred million e-cig products sold in the past year is a very good safety record.

And unlike any other product (that I'm aware of) the FDA established an e-cig complaint report site back in 2009, and has been urging healthcare workers to file complaints anytime they suspect that an e-cig may have been associated with an adverse event.

But of course, Logic's Miguel Martin used the opportunity to once again endorse FDA e-cig regulations, and to blame the complaints on other e-cig companies and their products.

Miguel Martin, president of Logic Technology, one of the biggest U.S. e-cigarette makers along with Lorillard Inc and privately held NJOY, said the spike in adverse event reports reinforces the importance of regulation, especially in areas governing manufacturing practices and labeling, where standards can vary dramatically.
    "Clearly, because of the business opportunities, you have companies in an unregulated environment that are importing without checks and balances," he said, adding that while Logic pays attention to quality control, "some other companies just are not having the same diligence or focus."
    Last edited by Bill Godshall; 04-18-2014 at 10:48 PM.
    Kent C, poconojo, patkin and 2 others like this.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Bill, I haven't read the article yet, but:

The first quote sounds a lot like an anxiety attack to me. Could it have been caused by belief in ANTZ fearmongering?

Re the second quote: "I just recently realized what was turning my taste buds black." I may spend some time pondering "taste buds turning black" -- after I stop laughing...
    JC Okie, amazed, db13berry and 1 others like this.

Join CASAA and get a FREEBIE!
    Click here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...a-members.html

I can think of a lot of unregulated things we deal with every day that would probably generate 50 complaints an HOUR if they gave everything else the same attention.
    LaraC, serendipitee and kachuge like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAnia View Post
    Bill, I haven't read the article yet, but:

The first quote sounds a lot like an anxiety attack to me. Could it have been caused by belief in ANTZ fearmongering?

Re the second quote: "I just recently realized what was turning my taste buds black." I may spend some time pondering "taste buds turning black" -- after I stop laughing...
    Sounds like black harry tongue to me caused when bacteria over multiply on the tongue. Harmless and good oral hygiene will alleviate it. Probably total coincidence.

Danth’s / Parkers Law “If you have to insist that you've won an internet argument, you've probably lost badly.”

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

bismuth causes black hairy tongue, bismuth is found in pepto bismol

Quote Originally Posted by swampergene View Post
    I can think of a lot of unregulated things we deal with every day that would probably generate 50 complaints an HOUR if they gave everything else the same attention.
    ARE YOU KIDDING?
    ARE YOU KIDDING?

I can complain about nicorettes giving me rapid heartbeat..........
    I can complain about that pill that's supposed to make you get off nicotine, making me want to kill people.....
    I can complain about the patch not working.......

Everybody can complain about something......... holy crap..........
    don't they have filters, or are they just accepting all the bogus complaints and treating them all as real?

propaganda is a machine.... usually a govt run one

g

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

It is really good to get our personal stories out. Letters to the editor of newspapers, State and Federal Legislators, I just put two more items on my FB page, and I got a bite. Our success stories and our gratefulness are really needed.
    "One day I smoked, the next day I was a vaper"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Godshall View Post
    Regardless, 50 complaints about several hundred million e-cig products sold in the past year is a very good safety record.
    I love Wisconsin sports teams (esp. Brewers and Packers), but during any given season, I could be heard spouting about 50 minor complaints.

IOW, if 50 complaints to a federal department of government is all we are up against, I expect some smooth sailing on the eCig boat.
    serendipitee likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

One person told the FDA that while eating dinner at a restaurant a customer at the next table was smoking an e-cigarette.
    "The vapor cloud was big enough to come over my table and the e-cig smoker was 'huffing' it voraciously," the person, whose name was redacted, wrote. "I got dizzy, my eyes began to water and I ended up taking my food to go because of the intense heartbeat I began to develop."
    Oh great, now we are gonna have stories of "The dangers of e-cigarettes to the restaurant industry. Film at eleven."

Methinks some people are just too excitable to be venturing out into public at all. Unfettered social interaction can send them right over the edge.

Dwama... So much dwama...

Last edited by Rickajho; 04-21-2014 at 02:00 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast