Congress to grant FDA approval to regulate tobacco - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Congress to grant FDA approval to regulate tobacco

Default Breakdown of "poison" nicotine content...e-cigs and analogs

As for the FDA seeing fit to regulate nicotine for being a poison, well...it takes 60 milligrams of PURE nicotine to kill someone. The nicotine in e-cigs is mixed with propylene glycol, water, and flavoring. Then in cartridges, there is a little bit of fuzz to contain the mixture.

AGAIN...the nicotine in e-cigs or any other form utilized by smokers or chewers is NOT pure. So it is like the nicotine in amy other smoking or chewing tobacco product.

I would say it would be just as possible for someone to potentially poison themselves with chewing tobacco as they would from an e-cig cartridge. The amount of nicotine in a regular "chaw" is 4.5 milligrams. There are maybe 20 "dips" in a can. So if you downed a whole can...the results could be potentially fatal with 90 milligrams or so.

I am told that a baby can die from consuming two cigarette butts, but I cant find anywhere to verify this...so I may be wrong on that. But I do know that a few cigarette butts can be fatal to a small dog. Usually vomiting takes care of that, however.

This the breakdown I received from a e-cig manufacturer:

1. Nicotine Concentration - E-Cig Cartridges.

Cartridge Types
    Niotine Cocentration
    Niotine-Free
    0 mg
    Low-Density
    10 mg
    Medium-Density
    14mg, 16 mg
    High-Density
    18mg, 24 mg

2. Nicotine Content of Each Puff You Take (for Real Cigarette)

One Real Cigarette
    Nicotine Content: 0.6mg ~ 2.4mg
    Puffs to take for each cigarette
    15 puffs
    Nicotine Content inhaled at each puff
    0.04mg ~ 0.16mg
    (0.6mg/15=0.04mg, 2.4mg/15=0.16mg)

3. Nicotine Content of Each Puff You Take (for Electronic Cigarette)

Puffs to take for each cigarette
    approximately 150 puffs
    Nicotine Content inhaled at each puff
    Nicotine-Free Cartridge: 0mg/150 = 0 mg
    Low-Density Cartridge: 10mg/150 = 0.066mg
    Medium-Density Cartridge: 0.093mg ~ 0.107mg
    High-Density Cartridge: 0.120mg ~ 0.160mg

Moved On

What's the deal with the repeat posting?

Manufacturers say all sorts of things by the way. Diluted or not 36mg of nicotine per ml is still 36mg of nicotine.

Not sure what happened with the repeat posting? Sorry bout that...something glitchy I think!

Oh sure, yeah, miligrams are miligrams. That is what I was kinda trying to say...that there is no additional danger to an e-cigarette than there is to the other tobacco products out there. But yeah, you wouldnt want a kid to suck on a cartridge...thats for sure.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    So If I am bound and determined to cut down on nic and stop the ciggys, am I approximately right in saying that if I only used, and made myself stick to it to start, 11 mg and 2 drops of liquid x 5 times in a day, that would equal approximately 10 reg ciggys 1/2 a pack of cigs, right?

Moved On

Aye Red, I think the worry comes with the concentration, so little is needed to be toxic.

Manufacturers and sellers are notorious for spinning tales about their products, the claims about cartridges and nicotine can be downright dangerous. Have a look here for some more myths - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...tml#post104155

EDIT

2 x drops x 5 would equal around 5 average cigs Lucky. It's 2 drops x 11mg for one (approximately).
    Last edited by Kate; 03-15-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

So approximately If I MAKE myself not use more than 20 drops a day of 11 mg, that would equal approx 10 regular ciggys in nic content. Is this now right Kate?

Moved On

That's how the maths works out Lucky, so yes, approximately.

Unfortunately this isn't an exact science so it's not possible to say for sure but that should be close.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Thanks, Kate. I just wanted SOME basic concept of my control here when I start. I'm going to have to use discipline.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

20 drops then would be approx 1 ml. 40 drops would be 2 ml and what the average pack a day smoker would use. Correct?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast