About Low Resistance and Specific batteries
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: About Low Resistance and Specific batteries

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran hoogie76's Avatar

Default About Low Resistance and Specific batteries

Hi folks, we've been seeing some failures with eGo, vGo and 016 batteies and low resistance atomizers/cartomizers.

The problem appears to me to be a compatibilty issue between certain batteries and atomizers.

Low resistance atomizers are meant to simulate a higher voltage device on a 3.7 volt device but there are limitations.

Low Resistance atomizers are never meant to be used with 5 volts as the wattage and current draw will be excessive as well as the atomizers/cartomizers will not last very long due to the heat produced at 5 volts. Low resistance atomizers should never be used with a 5 volt passthrough.

We're finding also that low resistance atomizers/cartomizers are causing pre-mature failures on eGo, vGo, 016 or other mosfet driven batteries. Mosfet driven devices are designed to work with 2.5 ohm or higher atomizers/cartomizers.

As an industry we sell products but can't control how they are used. eGo, vGo, 016, regular e-cig batteries and similar devices all have short circuit protection but do not account for excessive current draw which eventually weakens the components and causes failure.

A shorted cartomizer/atomizer *should* never cause a battery to fail due to the short circuit protection of the device (including protected batteries on mods). The only other states that an atomizer or cartomizer can have is that the actual resistance is either correct or the device has burnt out which would give an infinite resistance.

Shorted atomizers are actually a very rare occurance unless manufactured incorrectly.

What this means is that we can't blame a specific product for a failure. It's a combination of incompatible products that's causing premature failure of components.

The main problem is really lack of clear guidelines on use of the products and compatibilty issues.

Unfortunately low resistance devices are here and they screw in, so people will continue to use them, sometimes with undesirable results.

Just want folks to understand that low resistance atomizers/cartomizers are not defective but are sometimes being used beyond the scope of what they were meant for.

Most devices other than battery mods do not come with LR atomizers/Cartomizers as a kit. As the failures pile up, I think we'll see more warnings/guidelines with low-resistance atomizers/cartomizers and mosfet driven batteries in the near future.

just food for thought..

hoog

Ultra Member ECF Veteran dale1962's Avatar

Hoog,Just started direct dripping here recently and I have a 750 mah riva at 4.2-3.7 volts range and bought a couple of your low res atties and working great so far on this...the voltage on the riva is not to high for low res atties is it?It probably at it's highest voltage for short time anyway.

Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla

Dale,

As Hoogie states the LR Atty draws more current an therefor Mosfit type Batts are more stressed using them with this LR set up, LR draws double the current then a regular Atty in which these types of Batteries are made for and therefore you will see more failure on these types of batteries then a standard Mod say with an 18650 AW Batt running it, Bottom line is your Batt Ego/Riva Batt will run your LR Atty but don't expect it to last forever. In regards to that I must have 40 Rive/Ego Batts, some have lasted a abnormal amount of time others have hit the grave yard early, they are only Batteries and who knows how long one will last is the bottom line, many think because it is an ecig it should last forever but it's only a Battery.If your looking for longevity running the LR Atty's I would find a Mod that holds a nice IMR AW 18650 Batt in it.
    I have no favorites I love them all, but the sexy chicks who sport wild thongs drive me up the wall ;-)
    Support the cause give to CASSA

Quote Originally Posted by mwa102464 View Post
    Dale,

As Hoogie states the LR Atty draws more current an therefor Mosfit type Batts are more stressed using them with this LR set up, LR draws double the current then a regular Atty in which these types of Batteries are made for and therefore you will see more failure on these types of batteries then a standard Mod say with an 18650 AW Batt running it, Bottom line is your Batt Ego/Riva Batt will run your LR Atty but don't expect it to last forever. In regards to that I must have 40 Rive/Ego Batts, some have lasted a abnormal amount of time others have hit the grave yard early, they are only Batteries and who knows how long one will last is the bottom line, many think because it is an ecig it should last forever but it's only a Battery.If your looking for longevity running the LR Atty's I would find a Mod that holds a nice IMR AW 18650 Batt in it.
    I hear ya man,just a little confused definately don't expect batt to last forever but wish it would(haha),LR atty's are to be used with higher voltage or with something in 3.7 range?Probably stupid question just not battery or electronic savvy.Also doe's madvapes carry a mod with specifications you suggest to use with LR atty?
    Last edited by dale1962; 10-05-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Just went on website and I think I may have 510 spare atty anyway,which says has higher resistence...also seen on site about what voltage you use with LR atty's....Hell I just don't know what a mosfit type batt is.My order say's I got 2 510 spare atties but i can't tell the difference between them and the LR atties on the site by picture,so not sure what i have because got them at there shop and i thought they said the one's i got are LR.Don't want to kill my batts prematurely if don't have too!
    Last edited by dale1962; 10-05-2010 at 09:57 PM.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Bottom line here seems to say use LR atomizers on 'standard' battery mods. That is anything that takes a 10440, 14500, 18650, 16340, etc but not any sort of 'regular' battery be it the standard 510, 901, 801 or 808D-1 battery or the extra capacity versions of these like the eGo, Riva, Hello-016 etc. Do I have that right?

Account closed on request ECF Veteran

what are the lr for if not for those devices i was also told not to use it with the standard 510 kit either

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Been using a Riva with many different vendor LR atties with no shorts of the batteries. I have had LR atties die quickly (within a week), but find that Eastmall atties last forever.

If someone is experiencing failures with the Ego/vgo/016; my suggestion is to try the Riva w/ Eastmall Lr atties.

I did have a Riva battery die on me, but I highly doubt it had anything to do with the LR atties. I am constantly switching between 2 batteries and use one while the other charges. I have received a free replacement and haven't.experienced any other problems. Even when I was forced to deal with one battery for almost 2 weeks. It is my belief that if LR atties were the cause of my failure then it would have became apparent when I was using just one battery straight.

I have only experienced one brand of LR cartomizers and they also did not short nor did the battery fail.

Super Member ECF Veteran Bageone's Avatar

Explains why all my Riva, Ego and 016 batteries went Kaput on me...
    Get your thrill on BUZZberry Hill

Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla

for those that still dont get it the LR draws 2amps the reg Atty draws 1 amp these mosfet Batts are being over stressed with the 2amp draw, will they still work, heck ya, but they are being over stressed with the 2 amp draw compared to the 1 amp draw, therefor they will not last as long as say an 18650 IMR Batt.
    toto1013 likes this.
    I have no favorites I love them all, but the sexy chicks who sport wild thongs drive me up the wall ;-)
    Support the cause give to CASSA

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast