Madvapes is admitting to being hacked. - Page 4
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Madvapes is admitting to being hacked.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoogie76 View Post
    Sorry guys for all the hassle, I'd be mad at us too as I'm mad at myself . Unfortunately on this one it had nothing to do with our cc processor. Someone broke into the backend of our website and was able to change settings which possibly allowed viewing of data after orders we're placed. I'd like to think that most e-cig vendors have good cc processing but guess I'm not sure. For us, we go through a national bank and get the same rates online as our retail stores do for face to face sales through first data. Our cc processor is well known and not scammish at all.

hoog
    Is it only personal info for orders on those dates that is at risk or is the info of those of us who ordered in past at risk as well?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Sorry guys for all the hassle, I'd be mad at us too as I'm mad at myself . Unfortunately on this one it had nothing to do with our cc processor. Someone broke into the backend of our website and was able to change settings which possibly allowed viewing of data after orders we're placed. I'd like to think that most e-cig vendors have good cc processing but guess I'm not sure. For us, we go through a national bank and get the same rates online as our retail stores do for face to face sales through first data. Our cc processor is well known and not scammish at all.

hoog
    Thank you for your honesty in the situation. However, this is simply one of those things in life that "sorry" can not undo or make right. I trusted you and now my short, intermediate, and long term financial security as well as my identity have all been compromised.
    BigBabyVapin: Youtube Channel

Juice Reviews, Hardware Reviews, Vendor Reviews, Rants, Giveaways, and More!

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Faylool View Post
    Maybe it's a group trying to undermine the success of e cig evolution if it's a lot of e cig vendors.
    I'm by no means a conspiracy theorist but I have to wonder about this too.
    Attempting to undermine the ecig industry is not outside the realm of possibilities.
    I mean, a lot of businesses/corporations/organizations get hacked everyday but seriously it seems to be happening to ecig folks a lot lately.
    patkin likes this.

eGo >Vamo>VariMax>Sig ZTele>K100>TVS>Smok Zmax
    LIFE IS UNCERTAIN....EAT DESSERT FIRST! **CERTIFIED SHOPAHOLIC**

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran hoogie76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myrany View Post
    Is it only personal info for orders on those dates that is at risk or is the info of those of us who ordered in past at risk as well?
    If you've ordered in the past and ordered this weekend then your cc may have been visible to the hackers but only if you placed an order between 6/14/13 2:00 pm or before 06/17/ 9:03 am EST. Orders placed before or after were not at risk.

hoog

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran hoogie76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaby View Post
    Thank you for your honesty in the situation. However, this is simply one of those things in life that "sorry" can not undo or make right. I trusted you and now my short, intermediate, and long term financial security as well as my identity have all been compromised.
    I think being honest about it is the best we can do for now. It's a hassle for everyone involved. We filed a report with the state attorney general, police and FBI. I'm not too much happier about this than you are. I'd love to see a hanging..

hoog

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

If you've ordered in the past and ordered this weekend then your cc may have been visible to the hackers but only if you placed an order between 6/14/13 2:00 pm or before 06/17/ 9:03 am EST. Orders placed before or after were not at risk.

hoog
    Thank you so very much for the clarification.
    serendipitee likes this.

ECF Veteran

Are orders going to be shipping as normal this week, or do you anticipate a delay while you continue to deal with this? I am on the fence about placing my order again, but really do like your selections of parts.
    BigBabyVapin: Youtube Channel

Juice Reviews, Hardware Reviews, Vendor Reviews, Rants, Giveaways, and More!

ECF Veteran

Well if the antz did not ruin the good processors and leave us with crap. Err I digress. Hacking happens all the time. If I get hacked have fun with 5 bucks that I have. My bank would fix it.

On earth so far away.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I think being honest about it is the best we can do for now. It's a hassle for everyone involved. We filed a report with the state attorney general, police and FBI. I'm not too much happier about this than you are. I'd love to see a hanging..

hoog
    Props to Mad Vapes for admitting the hack, not only to the affected customers, but here in a forum as well. I have purchased from them in the past, and will do so in the future. No vendor is unhackable. All they can do is protect your data to the best of their ability, fix any holes found, and swiftly notify you if a compromise occurs. Too many places will wait until the last possible moment the law allows before notifying affected customers after they find a breech. At least with swift notification, you have the ability to head off allot of fraudulent charges before the card information has spread much further than the party responsible for the hack.
    FantWriter and serendipitee like this.

Just an FYI, there is no such thing as a completely secure network. Security can never be 100%. Security needs to be good enough so that the thieves will say screw it, and move onto the next target. Same thing with cars and vehicle anti-theft. A car thief can and will take ANY car he or she wants. But of course they will prey on the easiest target.

So in my eyes, if I am to trust personal information to a vendor, they better exhibit enough care to secure my data to the best of their ability. Crap happens and everyone is vulnerable to compromise. It is those who learn from their shortcomings and make damn sure to prevent any future embarrassments that I commend. And mostly, I would commend those vendors who saw the writing on the wall and enhanced their security before they got breached.

Good job to madvapes for recognizing the breach, and closing it up as quickly as possible. Kudos for being transparent and admitting fault. That makes for a very mature and professional vendor.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast