Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree273Likes

Thread: Marriott Fines Guest for Vaping

Full Member ECF Veteran

I travel almost every week and am always very careful to put my ecig away and not vape around the help. As an ex smoker I am absolutely horrified at the smell of tobacco smoke can't stand to be within a mile of it. I guess you could say I'm pretty extreme about it - I won't linger in an area with a smoker and I won't stay in a room that has even the faintest whiff of smoke. It completely disgusts me. So I am a little more sympathetic to Marriott trying to cater to their vast majority of customers. They just need to be educated - a lot of companies are just finding out about ecigs. Smoke detectors, by the way, aren't bothered by ecigs in general unless you blast a vape right into them. I've vaped in a dozen hotels and cruise ships and never had a problem but I keep it to myself.
    RIMP likes this.

2. Advertisement
    DC2
    I'm Chucked Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I am going to start calling Marriotts around the country and telling them I am intending to visit their city soon.
    Then I am going to tell them I read about this woman being fined, and wanted to know their policy.

If they tell me I can't use my electronic cigarette, I am going to tell them they won't be getting my business.
    And then I'm going to tell them that I'll be more than happy to start spreading the word to other vapers.

I'll report back on my results.

Supplier Associate ECF Veteran maureengill's Avatar

Only you DC2....
    DC2 likes this.
    Maureen

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by DC2 View Post
    I am going to start calling Marriotts around the country and telling them I am intending to visit their city soon.
    Then I am going to tell them I read about this woman being fined, and wanted to know their policy.

If they tell me I can't use my electronic cigarette, I am going to tell them they won't be getting my business.
    And then I'm going to tell them that I'll be more than happy to start spreading the word to other vapers.

I'll report back on my results.
    Heh. Maybe I'll call them and tell them I travel a lot and I've been vaping in their rooms every single time and I have no intention of abstaining in future visits.

ETA: I can't remember the last time I stayed at a Marriott.
    MegaBee likes this.

If you are in the Cincinnati area, check out Tri-State Vapers on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/558079797581550/

ECF Veteran

We could form a petition if anyone's up for fighting .. think it would get attention? Wonder how many ppl. would sign - could twitter, facebook etc etc. There are probably CEOs and High Rollers that vape too. Might not be a terrible idea.

DC2
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by maureengill View Post
    Only you DC2....
    Ha! Yeah, I get bored easily, and need something to keep me busy while I'm trying not to work.

DC2
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

So I called four local Marriotts...

-One manager was out to lunch
    -One manager was not available
    -One manager checked on it and called me back and said it was okay
    -One manager said I could use it in the room but not in public spaces

I then called Marriott Reservations and was transferred to Customer Relations.
    They guy I spoke with is checking to see if there is a Corporate policy and will be calling me back.

I probably won't call any more Marriotts until I hear back from him.

ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

What a load. Talk about insane over charging. I'm curious as to what flavor the woman was vaping. Was it even a tobacco flavor? Most of my liquids (desserts and fruity stuff) just smell like a great air freshener! I sort of disagree about the 'no lingering odors' thing, though. While I agree the odors don't linger for that long, my family members are constantly sticking their heads in my room to sniff the yummy odors from my vape. It sure as heck isn't even as strong as spraying a perfume or a body spray in your room, though, nor as lasting an odor. Are they gonna start charging $250 when you spray perfume in your room? Sounds like a very straight laced corporate policy, and they aren't gonna budge. But if I was in a 'non smoking' room and got fined for vaping, I'd contest it on the basis that there was no 'smoking' ie combustion going on, nor any smoke whatsoever. Vapor is not smoke. Unless they clearly had the no vaping or ecig thing posted, as far as I'm concerned she wasn't aware that she would be breaking the rules by vaping.

DC2
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

The guy from Customer Care called me back and said that electronic cigarette use falls under their non-smoking policy but...

He said there needs to be evidence (cigarette butts, odor in the room, etc.) and that there should be no charge without that.
    He also said that based on the people he spoke to, a call to Customer Care should have resolved the issue.

He was quite shocked when I told him that the lady in question took the issue up the ladder and did not get it resolved.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

great thread and very eye opening.Wonder if a good lawyer (lol) could stay at a marriot and bring a device to measure the Particulate matter in the air before and after their stay, leave out an ecig and puff away in front of the staff and make a boatload of money.
    Huffelpuff likes this.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast