Exploding cigarette lighter could be cause of man's death (analogy with e-cig batteries)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Exploding cigarette lighter could be cause of man's death (analogy with e-cig batteries)

Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Default Exploding cigarette lighter could be cause of man's death (analogy with e-cig batteries)

Exploding cigarette lighter could be cause of man's death
    Exploding cigarette lighter could be cause of man's death | digtriad.com-

Mike Siegel: Defective Electronic Cigarette Battery Injures One Person; Defective but Legal Cigarette Lighters Injure 1000 Per Year
    http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/...e-battery.html

I'm trying to locate the CPSC document (referenced in the news article) stating that cigarette lighters injure about 1000 people annually, as that could be useful for comparisons with the far fewer cases of exploding e-cig batteries. If anyone can find that CPSC document, please post.

The CPSC (US Consumer Product Safety Commission) regulates lighters, and here are links to two CPSC lighter regulations

CPSC regulation requiring child proof lighters
    http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/regsumlighters.pdf

CPSC ASTM F400 - 10 Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Lighters
    ASTM F400 - 10 Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Lighters

CASAA Activist Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Maybe when we write our senators asking them to remove the FDA deeming portion of the budget bill, we should ask them to encourage the Consumer Product Safety Commission to regulate e-cigarette hardware.

----
    Support CASAA -http://www.casaa.org/Donate_LKWE.html ---

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vocalek View Post
    Maybe when we write our senators asking them to remove the FDA deeming portion of the budget bill, we should ask them to encourage the Consumer Product Safety Commission to regulate e-cigarette hardware.
    LOL!

I would be interested in knowing about how many cigarette lighters explode per year (documented source, I mean). Also, are those exploding lighters mods?
    Last edited by Spazmelda; 05-02-2012 at 09:08 PM.

If you are in the Cincinnati area, check out Tri-State Vapers on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/558079797581550/

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

If you are in the Cincinnati area, check out Tri-State Vapers on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/558079797581550/

Default no feds please, we're American

You really don't want the government testing ecigs. Always assuming our wonderful vendors want to keep happy uninjured clients.
    Whether its the electrical safety of a mod or the full health effects of vaping, any testing to be done would have to be paid for by the manufacturer. No tests, no license. All the suppliers would have to shell out thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands or shut down operations permanently. How many vendors could afford it? How many could stay in business with no sales until all the tests come back, which could be years?
    Its why I don't like BT getting into the vape business. It would now be in their interest to shut down all the Mom & Pop shops.
    Its only paranoia if they aren't out to get you.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedwench View Post
    You really don't want the government testing ecigs. Always assuming our wonderful vendors want to keep happy uninjured clients.
    Whether its the electrical safety of a mod or the full health effects of vaping, any testing to be done would have to be paid for by the manufacturer. No tests, no license. All the suppliers would have to shell out thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands or shut down operations permanently. How many vendors could afford it? How many could stay in business with no sales until all the tests come back, which could be years?
    Its why I don't like BT getting into the vape business. It would now be in their interest to shut down all the Mom & Pop shops.
    Its only paranoia if they aren't out to get you.
    Hardware testing and at least UL Certification involves a limited number of items ..

Many of us are all for liquid testing and labeling requirements ..

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Well thats why i always use a Zippo doubt that ever explode.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I think they should ban e-cigarette lighters.

Vaping Since 12/20/10 With No Analogs. REO 4 The Win!
    Donate to WE ARE VAPERS: www.indiegogo.com/WeAreVapers
    Join CASAA and Help Win the Fight! (it's Free!!):
    casaa.org

Account closed on request

Quote Originally Posted by TennDave View Post
    I think they should ban e-cigarette lighters.
    If they could I'm sure they would try.
    TomCatt and Semiretired like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I need the FDA to require the chemical content of the materials used to make lighters and a complete list of warnings be placed on them. I think I may have gotten poisoned from one of my old lighters. I looked all over it and could not for the life of me find any sort of label warning me not to eat it, so it did! On the very first crunch it popped in my mouth and sprayed its contents down my throat causing an immediate nauseous feeling. Shortly after I was heating some milk on the stove to try and sooth my stomach and I accidentally passed gas and blew a hole through my shorts. If everyone vaped then we could do away with these dangerous lighters!

Ron -
    TomCatt, Ember and Njt07 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast