Thread: Sale of tobacco products now being banned at some pharmacies.

ECF Guru

Default Sale of tobacco products now being banned at some pharmacies.

Looks like Massachusetts is the pioneer again--banning the sale of all tobacco products in phamacies thoughout Boston--I doubt they will be replaced with our e-cigs anytime soon--wonder what is next on the list--Budwiser maybe??? Sun--See Cigarettes gone from pharmacy shelves in Boston - White Coat Notes - Boston.com

PV Master ECF Veteran

This is going way overboard. See the comment about cigar bars being banned in the same Puritanical ordinance.

As the thread "A Disturbing Webpage" notes, this ends only when Big Pharmaceutical has control of all nicotine. All nicotine. The moves toward that End Game are in play now.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

The concept of buying tobacco products from a pharmacy is pretty alien to me, not being from the US. Alcohol too.

PV Master ECF Veteran

A drug-dispensing pharmacy is almost an afterthought in places like CVS or Walgreen's. It's like a closet, way in the back, after you walk down aisles of soft drinks and potato chips.

Mostly, U.S. drug stores are just big convenience stores, selling everything from groceries to beach balls to snake oil for arthritis pains. Cigarette sales have long been a fact for most so-called pharmacies. In every pharmacy I've ever been in, the cigs are sold from the front counter, by the entrance/exit doors, and drugs are all the way in the rear. It's very much design-by-demand.

That way you don't have to walk a mile for a Camel.

Next: Will Boston act against Walgreen's selling the Ruyan Jazz disposable e-cigarette? Round two coming up right after this commercial ...

Inactive Supplier ECF Veteran

Even smaller mom & pop pharmacies in the U.S. are often set up to where they have a shop in the front area. A perfect example is a small-town pharmacy about 10 miles from me. The front area is a shop with a soda and sandwich counter, greeting cards/get well cards, assorted over the counter medications (aspirin, bandages, etc), a small toy area for the kids, a small candy area, and cigarettes behind the counter by the front door. In the back is the pharmacy area with its own counter.

And, I agree, this is going way overboard for them to ban tobacco products from pharmacies. Being Boston, it doesnt surprise me (they pretty much ban tobacco use everywhere in Boston). Theyre just about as bad as California.
    Last edited by OutWest; 02-10-2009 at 06:23 PM.

It's also not that way in all states, as far as alcohol is concerned.
    PA has State stores for liquor and Distributors for beer.
    AZ has both available in almost anyplace you get groceries or gas.
    Texas... aaauuugh, the dry/wet county game.

Depends where you live...

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I would be extremely curious to know what the size of the "random sample" was. Just like here in FLA... wasn't it a few weeks back TB that they did a random sample saying that 9/10 voters supported an increase on the cigarette tax... but they only sampled some 1000 voters?

PV Master ECF Veteran

The claim is that a sample that size is all that is needed to be representative of a larger number. Arguable ...

But up in Boston, the tail is wagging the dog out of control. Probably some puritanical influence thing. If it feels good, make it illegal.