Got Wood? Absolute-Wood?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Got Wood? Absolute-Wood?

Accessories Supplier ECF Veteran renderwerks's Avatar

Default Got Wood? Absolute-Wood?

Hello! Welcome to Absolute-Wood. In a nutshell, I make wood (and plastic) PV & Accessory holders and/or Display Stands.

All items inclusive of the holders themselves are for illustrative purposes, and are not included or for sale. Void where prohibited by law. Not eligable on Mars unless accompanied by one of the rovers. All silly names and phrases were probably stolen from someone or something along the way, but the OP will lay claim to the afore mentioned. Possible side effects may include: eye blinking, clogging, fear of sunglasses, gettin' jiggy wid it, square dancing, cannonballs, telekenesis, splunking and flying arm syndrome. No MSG; these products were tested on animals, they didn't like them.

My name is Rick Hageman and I've been here on ECF and a PV user for a little over three years now. I am a Senior Mechanical Designer by day, and have worked as a Professional Photographer and Furniture Maker in the past.

I still have a good array of wood working machinery (more to come) as well as photography equipment which allows me to still do some work as a photographer. This latest venture will soon have the benefit of a small, CNC (computer controlled) milling machine, allowing me to make high quality holders in a larger volume senario. Until then, be assured I will do my best to be fairly expedient in making and delivering holders. Basically, it takes about two weeks to make, finish, dry and mail a holder (or set). I can comfortably make a dozen or more in that time period. More when we get more automated...
    Got Wood?   Absolute-Wood?-all.jpg
    Here are a few from my line of laminated holders. I use familar furniture woods such as Oak and Walnut; but my favorites include exotic wood species such as Padauk (#3 & 7 ).

These Oak & Walnut holders are small and versatile. I can make use of "stepped" holes to accomodate more than one items diameter in a single hole.

Holders can be made in matching sets. These Padauk, Oak and Walnut holders make use of large stepped holes that hold 30, 15 or 10ml bottles of juice, as well as many mods that are within the diameters of the stepped hole: 1-1/4" and 1".

These Walnut and Oak Holders utilize similar hole boring techniques, enabling many different items to fit the holders.

Depending on wood type and size / number of holes, the prices range from $20 + shipping for a small (6" or so), single wood unit, up to $60 + shipping for the matched pair of Padauk-Oak-Walnut-Oak-Padauk laminated holders. Larger, more complex and more exotic (expensive) woods would be more.

I have a rather lengthy and involved finishing process that insures that all the holders are very well protected and can maintain their new look longer. After extensive sanding by hand, all holders are submurged in clear, natural Minwax wood stain for a minimum of 15 minutes - this insures a very deep penetration which cures and hardens most woods (some very hard exotic woods need an hour or more submurged).

After 48 hours of dry time, the holders are wet-sanded by hand in preparation for the finishing coats. This is a urethane based floor finish that is sprayed on in several medium coats, then hand burnished after they are dry enough. I must let them cure for about a week at this point to assure the finish will not mar or stick to the packing materials.

Soon, I will also have the capability to create holders which can accomodate box mods such as the Reo line. Expect to see more designs and a website in the near future where you will have the ability to custom configure your own holders, choose the woods for your holder and hopefully much more... Stay tuned!

Right now- I have the following wood species in stock:

American Black Walnut
    Red Oak
    African Padauk
    Purple heart
    Zebrawood

I can attain most species in a day or two, some take 1-2 weeks time.

The following posts will display several thumbnails of wood types I can usually get.

I hail from Southern California and try and answer PMs several times during the day (work permitting), and am happy to discuss any questions you may have.

Thanks!
    Last edited by renderwerks; 08-14-2012 at 02:17 AM.
    Click Image!

Here are some of the more attainable woods which I can use:
    Name:  koa.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  2.8 KB
    Koa
    Name:  ebony1.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  3.9 KB
    Ebony (horribly expensive)
    Name:  cocobolo.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  4.5 KB
    Cocobola
    Name:  bloodwood.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  2.7 KB
    Bloodwood
    AutumnWolf likes this.
    Click Image!

A few more wood types:
    Name:  wenge.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  4.4 KB
    Wenge
    Name:  purpleheart.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  2.0 KB
    Purple Heart
    Name:  padauk.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  2.4 KB
    Padauk (extremely hard, expensive)
    Name:  redoak.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  5.0 KB
    Red Oak (common, sturdy, stains well)

Stay tuned for more!
    Cuando and AutumnWolf like this.
    Click Image!

Here is a drawing of the hole sizes of the eight holders in the first image at the top of the thread:

If you left click on the image, you will bring up a LARGE version (3200px wide) that you can easily read or right click and save yourself.
    AutumnWolf likes this.
    Click Image!

Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Very cool stuff!
    Welcome and good luck.
    renderwerks and AutumnWolf like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Yay! You did it! Congrats! Loving my stand!
    Last edited by charmed412; 08-13-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    spacekitty and AutumnWolf like this.

RIP Dave King (SirOgre) 1973-2014 Always in my heart and on my mind. See you on the Other Side Baby!

Absinthe Minded Diva! Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

These are very cool! Congrats on your new supplier status....your stands are beautiful...GOOD LUCK!

Last TC take - 12/14/12

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Nice looking wood, renderwerks!

Senior Member Verified Member

Very nice like for drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by woodboy View Post
    Very cool stuff!
    Welcome and good luck.
    Thanks- looking forward to making lots of sawdust!

Quote Originally Posted by charmed412 View Post
    Yay! You did it! Congrats! Loving my stand!
    Thanks-I decided to take the plunge. Sweeet, lookin' good! Man, I'm jealous - you have some cool mods! Glad to see the drip protector holes worked out. Thanks Charmed

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnWolf View Post
    These are very cool! Congrats on your new supplier status....your stands are beautiful...GOOD LUCK!
    Thanks a bunch - I'm getting lots of ideas for new features, time to draw!

Quote Originally Posted by Durangler View Post
    Nice looking wood, renderwerks!
    Thank you my friend - I do customs as well; hit me up

Quote Originally Posted by stv4SC View Post
    Very nice like for drawings.
    Thanks, I hope to develop a small database of the dimensions of mods and accessories - including battery chargers (stay tuned). For now, everybody gets a drawing of their holder. It really helps to put some sense of scale to it and lets you verify what fits.

Big thanks to everybody!
    Click Image!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast