Need help on which switching regulator to use for VV box mod
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need help on which switching regulator to use for VV box mod

Full Member Verified Member

Default Need help on which switching regulator to use for VV box mod

So, after looking at (and lusting for) pre-built VV mods I've decided to build my own for a few reasons. I love tinker so it'll be fun, and a provari is a big investment. And what if I find 3.7 with x.xohm atty/carto is my sweet spot? Or 5.0 volt with x.xohm atty/carto? So, my persuit for vaping perfection has led me to building a nice VV box mod. I'm gonna start with the standard plastic box mod until I figure out what works best, then migrate to a nice aluminum case with a more "polished" build. I figure with this route I can afford to have a mistake or two along the way and still come out under the price of a pre-built. If the box shape doesn't suit me, I'll go with a "copper" style mod once I get my bearings. I have decided that running batteries in series and using a buck converter is probably my best bet. I don't want to use a linear regulator because of the heat issue, I want it to be sooo cool haha My issue is in choosing WHICH buck converter to use. I don't want a "low" (2.5) amp limit, or a "low" 15 watt limit. If I wanna use triple coils on this baby at 6 volts, i'd like it to handle. I probably won't, but you get the picture. I'd like the potentiometer I chose to go from 3-7 or so. (As opposed to 0-7 and the like.) I'd also like to incorporate a digital potentiometer and a display/volt meter so I don't have to externally attach it. So, any help I can get on this project would be awesome. I love this forum, such a great place all around. Thanks in advance everyone

So what have you built so far?
    "The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see"

Try searching...

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I think the OKR-T/6 is the best one because it has on-board caps and it's small. Pretty much a drop in replacement for a linear regulator.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I didn't realize the caps were an "on board" part of the OKR chips. Are you sure? Thanks.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by CraigHB View Post
    I think the OKR-T/6 is the best one because it has on-board caps and it's small. Pretty much a drop in replacement for a linear regulator.

Super Member ECF Veteran jmanning's Avatar

I agree with CraigHB. I have built several vv mods based on the OKR-T/6, and T/3 and am very pleased with them. You do not need external caps the OKR-T series regulators.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigHB View Post
    I think the OKR-T/6 is the best one because it has on-board caps and it's small.
    That's all there is to recommend it as 'better'?

The good modders like Mamu and CapCad cap the Murata, just like they would the TI.
    "The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see"

Try searching...

Super Member ECF Veteran jmanning's Avatar

I wouldn't necessarily say the OKR-T/6 is best because it requires no caps, this is very nice, but it's performance. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to add caps to it, but it performs beautifully without them, and takes up much less space. The output is smooth enough for the MadVapes voltage meter to work on it. I have build mods with the OKR-T, TI, and SWADJ regulators and they all perform nicely, but I prefer the OKR-T .

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
    That's all there is to recommend it as 'better'?

The good modders like Mamu and CapCad cap the Murata, just like they would the TI.
    Well, you can if you want, but you're not improving performance. The OKR series recommend caps to improve dynamic response and reduce ripple, things that are of no benefit when powering an atomizer. Now, if you're powering other electronics with an OKR, external caps might be necessary.

On-board caps is a pretty big reason. There's the extra expense and hassle of using caps that conform to specifications you don't have with the OKR. Plus, you have a smaller footprint especially since the OKR is smaller to begin with. The OKR is also cheaper even without including the cost of capacitors.

Well, the OKR-T/6 looks like a winner for sure. So, I'm not dead set on a digital pot, but it wouuld be nice....What I am set on is a built in voltmeter. I've never built a mod before, but I do have some experience with other electronics. All of this is going to be a learning experience., and I'm glad I have this forum for support. So, what potentiometer should I get so I can go from, say, 3-6v? And will the voltmeter they sell at madvapes work with the OKR? Says on the site it doesn't work with switching regulators. Is that really the case, and if so, where can I find a voltmeter that has several imputs (so I can check battery power as well as the set vout) and that will work fine with a switching reg?
    Last edited by TripleZoom; 01-19-2012 at 04:09 AM.

And I'm thinking I probably won't cap it. Maybe in the "final" build, since the first is more than likely gonna be a functional practice build.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast