28g Coils
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: 28g Coils

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Default 28g Coils

I just recently started using 28 g kanthal A1, thanks to emonty. It has opened a whole new world of vaping. I now have large 28g coils on all my rba. Since there now seems to be an interest in 28g, I guess we should have a thread for it.

A7 7 wrap 1.9 ohm oval coil 28g

Vivi Nova 6 wrap 1.8 ohm oval coil 28g

DID clone 10 wrap 2.1 ohm round coil 28g
    Last edited by BJ43; 10-19-2012 at 12:41 AM.
    MXBNW, gdeal and MISTer E like this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I love my 28GA for low Res set ups
    BJ43 and MISTer E like this.
    Knight in the Brotherhood of the “Holy Mod Trinity”
    Analog free since March, 2010
    REO Grand #1, Wood REO, REO Mini, Supper Mini, REO Woodvil, VVW, VVG
    VV Mods: Buzz, BP & Infinity, VVPV
    Avejuice.com Havana Gold and BF-RBA, ERA, Challis

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Lance_Wallen's Avatar

I just got some of this today.

I've had a long, annoying journey with my MOV DID Clone. I see why they get called Duds... I'm sure it's just me being an idiot but.. well, here goes.

At first I was tryin to use 36awg nichrome. I had a hell of a time getting rid of hotspots/shorts. I finally got a coil set up going at 1.5ohm and no shorts. I juiced it up and gave it a couple hits... tasted like I was eating flaming pennies. I turned it down, now it was like eating flaming pennies without any vapor. It just tasted horrible. I flamed, torched, cleaned, did everything I could and make another coil with damn near sterile SS mesh and nichrome... taste like crap again. Using a menthol juice I couldn't even taste or 'feel' the menthol. I thought, maybe it's firing dry... I doused the wick, triggered it till it started spitting some vapor, capped it and hit it again, still tastes the same, complete crap.

So, ordered some 32 and 28awg kanthal. Fiddled with it today, I could not, for the love of all that is holy, get a wick that didn't short. Iused the drill bit method where you make the coil and free fire it without a wick in the middle. The coil lit up nice, 3ohms like 10 wraps of 28awg. I took my time making it, spaced it out all nice and purdy. I get a wick, burn some juice on it, check the resistance at the tip... 50-60ohm. I figure... not good enough. Torch it, burn some more juice, check again. No reading on the MM so I figure I got a nice coating on it now. Chuck it in the coil, it fits nicely, not too snug, not too loose, slides in pretty nice. Short, short, short, hot spot, provari reading 1.1ohm (was 3ohm on the dot without the wick). take out the wick, check the coil, still 3ohm. Fiddled with that for an hour and finally rolled some loose cotton on it like cotton candy, soaked it up and took a hit.

Much better taste than before but still pretty acrid. I taste all the flavors but the vapor is thin and harsh on the lungs, actually made me cough. It's not the cotton burning cause the cotton is not charred at all, stayed pretty moist. But my vapor production on a coil that's reading 2.8 ohms is terrible from 4v up to 5.5v , very little vapor, harsh taste, very 'airy' vapor that bothers the lungs. I've all but given up at this point on this device.
    MISTer E likes this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lance_Wallen View Post
    I just got some of this today.

I've had a long, annoying journey with my MOV DID Clone. I see why they get called Duds... I'm sure it's just me being an idiot but.. well, here goes.

At first I was tryin to use 36awg nichrome. I had a hell of a time getting rid of hotspots/shorts. I finally got a coil set up going at 1.5ohm and no shorts. I juiced it up and gave it a couple hits... tasted like I was eating flaming pennies. I turned it down, now it was like eating flaming pennies without any vapor. It just tasted horrible. I flamed, torched, cleaned, did everything I could and make another coil with damn near sterile SS mesh and nichrome... taste like crap again. Using a menthol juice I couldn't even taste or 'feel' the menthol. I thought, maybe it's firing dry... I doused the wick, triggered it till it started spitting some vapor, capped it and hit it again, still tastes the same, complete crap.

So, ordered some 32 and 28awg kanthal. Fiddled with it today, I could not, for the love of all that is holy, get a wick that didn't short. Iused the drill bit method where you make the coil and free fire it without a wick in the middle. The coil lit up nice, 3ohms like 10 wraps of 28awg. I took my time making it, spaced it out all nice and purdy. I get a wick, burn some juice on it, check the resistance at the tip... 50-60ohm. I figure... not good enough. Torch it, burn some more juice, check again. No reading on the MM so I figure I got a nice coating on it now. Chuck it in the coil, it fits nicely, not too snug, not too loose, slides in pretty nice. Short, short, short, hot spot, provari reading 1.1ohm (was 3ohm on the dot without the wick). take out the wick, check the coil, still 3ohm. Fiddled with that for an hour and finally rolled some loose cotton on it like cotton candy, soaked it up and took a hit.

Much better taste than before but still pretty acrid. I taste all the flavors but the vapor is thin and harsh on the lungs, actually made me cough. It's not the cotton burning cause the cotton is not charred at all, stayed pretty moist. But my vapor production on a coil that's reading 2.8 ohms is terrible from 4v up to 5.5v , very little vapor, harsh taste, very 'airy' vapor that bothers the lungs. I've all but given up at this point on this device.
    In many posts you have stated your problems. I read one where another member that lives near you even offered to meet with you and show you how to roll a working coil/wick. My recommendation is that you take him up on his offer.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

28g Kanthal A-1 is currently available at A 1 28 AWG Resistance Heating Wire 50 Ft | eBay

$6.50 for 50ft. $1.95 shipping.

Placed an order on the night of the 16th, confirmed ship on the 17th. Looking forward to rockin a 10 turn coil on a geni.....
    BJ43 and MISTer E like this.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Lance_Wallen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BJ43 View Post
    In many posts you have stated your problems. I read one where another member that lives near you even offered to meet with you and show you how to roll a working coil/wick. My recommendation is that you take him up on his offer.
    I will eventually, life is pretty busy. I post when I'm at work usually :P not a lot of downtime.

This last set up is what is really confusing me, I've got a big beefy coil on a pretty tight 400mesh wick and it's vapor production is just.. well, crap and it burns my lungs, not temp, just hte 'feeling' at least the flavor isn't horrible anymore.

I'll tear it down and make another one soon, maybe the burning in my lungs has something to do with the cotton I use to isolate the wick.
    MISTer E likes this.

Within clouds of electronically stimulated micro droplets

I have an 18650 mechanical mod in the mail & the only other device I have used is my soon to be second tier super ego vv's (650 mAh). One of my VV's drained quickly(20 min from about half full) pushing 28 @ 1.8 ohms 3v. I knew something sadly was awry! liquidamber of sweetgum on roasted chestnuts on the open fire with BTU's of warm not hot (unless that's how you want it) tasty vapor were nice, but I felt the VV's would go kaput &/or kaboom, if I tried to push them this way.

I just want to say. be wise noobs (such as me). If your ego batteries drain quickly using 28. Do not destroy your batteries or yourself. Get a real (more mAh & amp) mod, with (or add) safety features. (My VVs vape 1.8 ohm 32 awg fine. Factors deeper than a simple ohm/volt=watt chart are @ play.)

When they drained that quick & the vapor was soo tasty, I was glad I am older & thus wiser than in my youth. I would be vaping on ticking VV's til my new mod arrived, like an idiot

Lance_Wallen A+ for effort. I hope you get all your apparatuses how you like em & soon

gdeal I bought my 28 a1 from the same source (on his last batch/spool). Picked up some 33 a1 & some 32 pure nickle non resistance from them as well (999 silver is flimsy & breaks easy).

BJ43 & any1 with a switch over experience, "how do you sum up battery drain into your "battery use time" equation?"

I know you get less time with 28 awg, how much compared to lets say 32 AWG?

I hope to have my mod soon (I got the 28) & be able to contribute a bit of 28 AWG experience

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by MISTer E View Post
    I have an 18650 mechanical mod in the mail & the only other device I have used is my soon to be second tier super ego vv's (650 mAh). One of my VV's drained quickly(20 min from about half full) pushing 28 @ 1.8 ohms 3v. I knew something sadly was awry! liquidamber of sweetgum on roasted chestnuts on the open fire with BTU's of warm not hot (unless that's how you want it) tasty vapor were nice, but I felt the VV's would go kaput &/or kaboom, if I tried to push them this way.

I just want to say. be wise noobs (such as me). If your ego batteries drain quickly using 28. Do not destroy your batteries or yourself. Get a real (more mAh & amp) mod, with (or add) safety features. (My VVs vape 1.8 ohm 32 awg fine. Factors deeper than a simple ohm/volt=watt chart are @ play.)

When they drained that quick & the vapor was soo tasty, I was glad I am older & thus wiser than in my youth. I would be vaping on ticking VV's til my new mod arrived, like an idiot

Lance_Wallen A+ for effort. I hope you get all your apparatuses how you like em & soon

gdeal I bought my 28 a1 from the same source (on his last batch/spool). Picked up some 33 a1 & some 32 pure nickle non resistance from them as well (999 silver is flimsy & breaks easy).

BJ43 & any1 with a switch over experience, "how do you sum up battery drain into your "battery use time" equation?"

I hope to have my mod soon (I got the 28) & be able to contribute a bit of 28 AWG experience
    I have 1 lavatube and it gives me about 6 hours battery life with these. I only tested it one day to see because I vape VV PTs 99% of the time. On a new fully charged Panasonic 18650CH 1.8 ohms at 4.4v for 10.7 watts.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MISTer E View Post

Not sure why you would get less time with 28g vs 32g if your volts and ohms are the same on the same battery. From my limited research, its all about amp draw from the battery all other things constant.

The calc for real life battery use time is very complex....

On a side note, if we look at BJ' set up:

1.8 ohms at 4.4v for 10.7 watts
    ...so that is an amp draw of 2.44 amps

Here is a link to the specs for BJ battery: Panasonic 2250mAh CGR-18650CH

They are rated at 2,250 mAh. (Nice charts on characteristic variables that effect performance.)

Using this calculator: Battery Life Equations Formulas Design Calculator - Current Drain Rate

He should have about 42 minutes of discharge time. (So if inhale and exhale times are equal, he is vaping about 24% of his time during the 6 hour period? BJ? )

See link for a nice noob overview. It certainly helped clarify it for me a bit:How to calculate battery run-time
    BJ43, junkman and MISTer E like this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by gdeal View Post
    Not sure why you would get less time with 28g vs 32g if your volts and ohms are the same on the same battery. From my limited research, its all about amp draw from the battery all other things constant.

The calc for real life battery use time is very complex....

On a side note, if we look at BJ' set up:

...so that is an amp draw of 2.44 amps

Here is a link to the specs for BJ battery: Panasonic 2250mAh CGR-18650CH

They are rated at 2,250 mAh. (Nice charts on characteristic variables that effect performance.)

Using this calculator: Battery Life Equations Formulas Design Calculator - Current Drain Rate

He should have about 42 minutes of discharge time. (So if inhale and exhale times are equal, he is vaping about 24% of his time during the 6 hour period? BJ? )

See link for a nice noob overview. It certainly helped clarify it for me a bit:How to calculate battery run-time
    I guess you can say I am a chain vaper. When I said about 6 hours, it could have been 7 and I never vape until the battery completely discharges, just until it starts giving less vaper. As I said I very seldom use a battery it is just for those moments I can't be connected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast