Petar K Method with a hybrid Wick
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Petar K Method with a hybrid Wick

EDO
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Petar K Method with a hybrid Wick

I posted this in another part of the forum but I think a lot of Modders will find this post very beneficial.
    This is a link to how to make a hybrid SS mesh cotton wick.

Mesh/Cotton hybrid wick Bluegrasslover's method - YouTube

This hybrid wick makes setting up a genesis style atomizer in the traditional way of wrapping coils completely foolproof. No more hotspots to worry about and the taste is just like a well set up genesis IMO.... even better. The only problem is once you set it up...you are stuck. You can't clean the coils by dry burns. You can't change the cotton unless you redo the coil. You can't clean the wick unless you redo the coil.

IMO the best way to setup a genesis style atomizer with ss mesh is by the Petar K method. Here is the link:

Unoxidized SetUp - Tutorial on Vimeo

The great thing about this method is you get perfect coils using a drill bit. You size your wick to the coil. And once set up...not only you can do dry burns but you can also easily remove the wick so you can glow your coils and clean the wick. But this is not a foolproof method... many people will struggle with it if they use an unoxidized wick or if they make their oxidized wicks too solid.

BY combining both methods you can have the best of both worlds....the easiest setup with the ability to maintain your coils and wick.

SO make the perfect coil using the Petar K method. When you roll your wick....roll it to a point that it is just tiny bit too thin and falls through the coil. Now add little bit of cotton to the wick in the area where it is going to be in contact with the coil (see video in first link). Add some eliquid to cotton and slide the hybrid wick through the coil. This time the wick won't fall through because of the cotton. Vape away!!! I think you will agree that the vape is amazing.

What is great about this method is that you don't have to oxidize your wick...you don't' ever have to worry about hot spots any more or adjusting coils etc. You can still pull your wick out to maintain your coils/wicks. The wicking greatly improves with the hybrid wick b/c the cotton acts as a reserve so you will not get dry hits. The break in time is minimized. The taste is amazing.
    Last edited by EDO; 12-26-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Uma, jcal, Ulmer and 4 others like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

How long does this combined wick operate properly without replacement?

Ultra Member ECF Veteran slimest's Avatar

EDO, first of all - you should not oxidize wicks made from SS mesh. You have to burn them with some organic liquid to achieve insulation layer. Then, if you cover your SS mesh wick with something else, you lose the main concept of Genesis. I this case - why mesh, use only your beloved material.
    If I follow your method, I possibly get good "short time" results during testing, but I will not get the worth of the real Genisis - long time stabile vaping with this special taste.
    Last edited by slimest; 12-27-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    The worst sin is greed

EDO
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmer View Post
    How long does this combined wick operate properly without replacement?
    I just started doing this a 4 days ago and I haven't had to replace the cotton yet....I go through 6-8ml of liquid a day. The way I set it up you can slide out the wick... glow your coil for 1 second and slide it back in and within 30 seconds your coil/set up will perform like brand new. It takes about 1 minute to convert your SSmesh into a hybrid wick so if this lasts me a week....I see no problems with it.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Can you show a microphoto of your wick after a week of work?

EDO
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by slimest View Post
    EDO, first of all - you should not oxidize wicks made from SS mesh. You have to burn them with some organic liquid to achieve insulation layer. Then, if you cover your SS mesh wick with something else, you lose the main concept of Genesis. I this case - why mesh, use only your beloved material.
    If I follow your method, I possibly get good "short time" results during testing, but I will not get the worth of the real Genisis - long time stabile vaping with this special taste.
    Hi... My post wasn't really about oxidation of the wick. My post was done to introduce people to the hybrid wick and to help people set it up perfectly. But obviously I didn't do a good job of it. So in regard to your reply regarding oxidation of SS Mesh. Most people just torch their wicks to oxidize them. I don't oxidize or do flame burns or do anything to my mesh when doing a SS mesh set up. If you do your coils perfectly and your roll a perfectly cylindrical mesh to fit inside the coils in the right way...you don't need any treatment done to the mesh at all. Most people can't do this so they have to oxidize or do flame burns to their mesh. With the hybrid wick no one will need to oxidize/flame burn the SS mesh.

If you watch the hybrid wick video I posted....you will notice that you apply a very thin coat of cotton to the SS wick. SO thin that once you put liquid on it it is almost transparent. It really doesn't effect the vape.... but It just makes your set up super stable...you will never have a hot spot, hot coil, initial metallic taste, dry hit, low ohm error ever again. Most people think they are in vaping heaven with a genesis style atomizer but they don't know how good it really could be. If you need to treat your SS Mesh in way...like flame burning them or oxidizing them to get it to work....you don't have an optimal set up. I do have an optimal set up with my genesis atomizers using SS mesh alone....and my the hybrid wick set up perfectly replicates it. It is just a lot easier to do. So far I have been using it for 4 days and I vape a lot and this thing just works.

I have been vaping for a while now....I promise you this is definitely worth trying.

EDO
    ECF Veteran

Ulmer...well I have been using it for 4 days now and I vape a lot. I have been exclusively vaping this and noting else.....I have gone almost through 30 ml of liquid with this set up. The set up looks like day one. But I did take out the wick and rinse it under water this morning and patted it dry with a paper towel. I have never used cotton before this....so I don't know If the cotton itself won't disintegrate after a while but if it doesn't you can clean out the cotton again and again very easily.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

EDO,
    What do you mean about making the wick "too Solid"? I think I will try this method and I will post my results. I have found I have better results with 500 mesh rolled solid vs the straw type wicks. Are you saying that a 500 mesh wick rolled solid wont work?
    I assume the key is to never let the wick run dry. I would suppose the cotton would burn quite quickly if not saturated. Had any issues burning up the cotton?

EDO
    ECF Veteran

Bail804 are you wanting to know about the Petar k Method using SS Mesh alone or with the Hybrid Wick? If asking about the SS Mesh only...If you make a very solid and stiff SS wick....you are going to struggle with shorts and hot spots. In its pure form you should not be oxidizing your wicks with the Petar K method. The coil and fit of the wick have to be spot on. The stiffer the wick the more you will struggle with shorts. His wicks are flexible, straw like, and unoxidized. I make my wicks more solid than he does but they are still flexible.

With the hybrid wick you can make the ss Mesh as solid and tight and stiff as you like. If you want to oxidize it you can... if not... don't. Since you use thin layer of cotton to insulate the SS wick....its foolproof....and the set up is super stable....I haven't adjusted my coils since I set it up. I have gone through 35 ml of liquid with it and still works perfect.

Edit: The cotton has held up real well...I can't believe how resilient cotton is...never used it before. As far as saturation.... it stays saturated always.
    Last edited by EDO; 12-28-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Im vaping using the Hybrid wick now. I just started using gene's and have only ever wrapped the coil around a drill bit. Was working on a solid wick for about 30 mins eliminating shorts. Grabbed a piece of 30 mm wide 500 mesh and rolled it down. Applied some cotton to the end. Added a few drops of juice and rolled it tight around the end of the wick. Slipped it in. Ohms did not move. Filled half a tank and started vaping away. 5 mins at most. I like how easy it was to get the wick the right size. The cotton takes up the space nicely and it does not have to be nearly as accurate as 100% mesh. Best flavor I have ever gotten so far. Just leary I'm going to let it run dry and burn the cotton. I guess I have inhaled worse. LOL.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast