can silicone withstand high temperature?

Thread: can silicone withstand high temperature?

Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

Default can silicone withstand high temperature?

I'm building an atty for myself. There is this one part that I want to use silicone, but I'm not too sure because it is in close proximity with the coil. I wonder if it can take the heat? I mean, it's 1 or 2mm from the coil.

But I remember in the vivi nova, there is a silicone piece that fits over the atty head and that's very close to the heating coil as well...

thx

Super Member Verified Member

I am sure it depends on what the "silicone" piece is made of. I have baking mats that are intended to be used in an oven up to 400F and I know there are pot holders. Most "silicone" stuff withstands heat better than most "rubber".

Senior Member ECF Veteran kaddigart's Avatar

From Wikipedia:
    Silicon is a solid at room temperature, with relatively high melting and boiling points of 1414 and 3265 C, respectively. It has a greater density in a liquid state than a solid state. It does not contract when it freezes like most substances, but expands, similar to how ice is less dense than water. With a relatively high thermal conductivity of 149 Wm−1K−1, silicon conducts heat well and as a result is not often used to insulate hot objects.
    It will withstand the heat, but it will also transfer it...

Full Member ECF Veteran

the above post is actually regarding silicon witch does have quite different properties.
    From Silicone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Silicone is used as an insulator in heat-resistant potholders and similar items; however, it is more conductive of heat than similar less dense fiber-based products. Silicone oven mitts are able to withstand temperatures up to 260 C (500 F), allowing reaching into boiling water.
    I i think all food safe types of silicone would be suitable for your mod at least i have never had a problem with mine (from amazon)