MVS Giveaway thread !!! - Page 427
Page 427 of 934 FirstFirst ... 327377417423424425426427428429430431437477527927 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,270 of 9336
Like Tree18471Likes

Thread: MVS Giveaway thread !!!

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Sorry, just noticed your edits! 100%VG is correct, it's either not detecting the drive (HDD/SSD/Flash memory, ect)< or skipping over it and trying to boot from the network card as that would be next in the boot list. That can be caused by loose cable, disconnected HDD/SSD or flash memory card, or a corrupted boot loader like I mentioned too. Only way to know which it is would be first to check in the BIOS to make sure the HDD is set to be the first device in the boot order, if so then it would have to be one of the latter.

Of course it could be dead drive/memory but that's not often the issue. Normally it's just a corrupted boot loader, or a cable/card loose. If it BSOD'd on you often (Before this) then it may just be a data corruption issue with the boot loader, and that can be fixed pretty easy too.
    priorities and MLT910 like this.

When you say operating system, do you mean Windows XP? That's what it has on it.
    It didn't come with a boot disk. It's a Gateway Netbook, looks exactly like the little Acer Netbooks.
    Gateway model no. KAV60

I don't even have a mini screwdriver to pop the back off and see if there's a cable loose. Maybe I'll see if I can budget that in tomorrow.

ECF Veteran

Ya, I meant XP, Windows 7, ect. Not sure if regular XP disk can repair the bootloader on a netbook or not, so it may be a lot tougher for you to check into that since you aren't really familiar with all that. If it was Vista, Windows 7/8 it would be much easier for you to check, because there's a built in "Startup repair" already programmed as a choice on those disks, not so with XP you have to do it manually or look at / edit the file from another PC and then place back on that drive.

To check the hard drive boot order in the BIOS on there, see this page, and from other checks it looks like you might want to start with F1 or F2
    How to Get Into the BIOS at PC Startup on a Gateway Kav60 | eHow.com

When you start the PC and begin to press one of those hotkeys to try to get into the BIOS, just spam onto it several times, this is before any messages come on screen. If you start to see XP, or network boot screen then you need to restart and try again. Once you get into the BOIS look in all sections, until you see hard drive boot order, this will be a area where you can move ONLY hard drives or USB drives around up and down. This is not the place where it says boot order, that offers CD, network cards, ect. That doesn't matter for this issue and isn't what you need to check. Normally that would be set to CD or USB first, then HDD, ect. But it's all user preference, and if there's no CD/USB and it's set to that it'll skip to the hard drive boot order list next (That's what we are looking to set properly)

Take pics if you are unsure, and you can PM me if you want to do that so we don't clutter up MVS thread

MVS still rock, even though were talking PC, and I'm sure if we were at the MS HQ we could use some of their shiny tools to work on this too

Ok, one quick question...does it matter that it doesn't have a CD drive? That's what I was trying to say in the beginning.

ECF Veteran

Well, it doesn't matter really, but it would if you wanted to try to fix via XP install CD (If the bootloader was the issue), that would be easier for you. But the same stuff can be done with USB too, so really no CD doesn't matter, but that does make it a lot more difficult for you to test for some of these things yourself.

Check the BIOS, and verify the hard drive is set first in the hard drive boot order. If it's not, move it to the top of the list then save and exit the BIOS (Usually F10). If there is NO hard drive shown in the hard drive boot order list, then the drive either is loose or may have failed. Failure isn't too likely, unless it's flash memory or SSD, then that's a higher possibility. Was it BSOD'n all the time on you before this happened, or did this just happen one day after a fall or hard bump/jolt?

The Boot Priority Order
    1. IDE0 :
    2. IDE1 :
    3. USB FDD :
    4. Network Boot : Atheros Boot Agent
    5. USB HDD :
    6. USB CDROM :

Now what??

In the 4 years I've had it, it gave me the BSOD half a dozen times...and it's been through heck for such a small lil gal. I've dumped water on it more times than I can remember, and it's been dropped a few times, but nothing recently.
    Last edited by MLT910; 03-11-2013 at 06:43 AM.
    priorities likes this.

~Resident Daydreamer~ ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Goodness how sweet helping each other oh love it mine is going any moment...keeps crashing..but want to come by and wish you all sweet dreams and hope you wake to a fantastic day friends * {{{{{hugs}}}} to all ~

We only have this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake ~Marie Ray

Awww, thanks, Pri!! <3
    priorities likes this.

ECF Veteran

That's the list I was telling you to not look at, that one doesn't matter. You need to find Hard Drive Boot Priority, sometimes in that same section of the BIOS, sometimes not. It will have storage drives listed only, such as USB or Hard Drive, ect, and only connected ones.

That amount of BSOD's sounds average, and probably not what caused this unless you know one happened right around the same time this happened. Might just be a loose drive, or it failed, hard to say for sure without opening it up, and sometimes that's not as easy as it look either so if you go at it be careful

Luckily, I see you can just remove two screws and check the hard drive bay!
    http://global-download.gateway.com/G...TEWAY&SC=PA_6G

So open that, remove the drive and put it back in just to be sure it's snug. If it's still not showing in the BIOS, then the hard drive is faulty.
    jj2, priorities and MLT910 like this.