Strangest thing, I can't taste my normal ecig flavors very well today - and I dont have a cold.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strangest thing, I can't taste my normal ecig flavors very well today - and I dont have a cold.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Default Strangest thing, I can't taste my normal ecig flavors very well today - and I dont have a cold.

I've been vaping for 10 days or so now, I've been enjoying every puff so far. But today after about noon I can't really taste the flavors very well, these are the exact same flavors from the exact same bottles I've been enjoying so far.

I'm getting the same amount of vapor production, but just not much taste. Cleaned the cart and atty and refilled the cart. Noticed it with my USA mix, then when I tested it with RY4 and Wyatt Earp and maple walnut.

I've tried both of my 510 mega attys, both batteries, different carts both with the polyfill and the blue foam mod (switched over to foam 3 days ago).

Its really odd, my sense of taste seems to be otherwise unaffected. I've been vaping a lot, and I might have gotten a bit of juice in my mouth from an overfilled cart, but I can't figure it out.

I dont have a cold or a runny nose, have I vaped so much I've numbed my taste buds or sense of smell? The inside of my nose is a little dryer than usual, but its fall here and the inside humidity is only around 30%.

Dang it, I've been REALLY enjoing my ecig and the different flavors. What the heck is going on??!!
    Last edited by Maast; 10-13-2010 at 05:45 AM.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

You are now entering, the Twilight Zone. LOL. Just kidding. I've had this same experience on a few occasions. Usually, what it seems to amount to is that for whatever reason in my setup, I am not experiencing that "sweet zone", where everything is just right. I go through and check everything in my setup. Juice is right? Cartridge is filled properly? Battery is charged? Good contact where the battery connects to the atomizer (you need to clean these areas up occasionally as they get buildups of gunk or juice)? I go through my check list like that. Sometimes I figure it out, other times I don't. Some things that cannot be checked easily, could be the cause. One of those might be a change in the resistance of the atomizer (an ohm meter can check this out), buildup of gunk and/or juice on the atomizer (sometimes a good cleaning of the atomizer can fix this), or a failed atomizer (again, an ohm meter can be used to check this).

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

it's probably just your taste buds. i had a similar thing happen where i either couldn't taste my juices or they tasted way off. it lasted for a few days.

it's all part of your body getting used to not smoking and healing itself. have you been drinking more water? if not, it's necessary to do so when vaping and that could partially explain why your nose is dry.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Agreed, and vaping now for several months I still occasionally get days like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett
    "It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing."

I was under the impression that this is just due to overdoing it a bit. The next morning I always get the taste back. It’s the same thing with cigarettes. If you have three in a row the last one doesn’t taste like much either. I’m sure zero nic vapers would have a very different opinion, but once my nicotine needs have been satisfied the taste starts to go down.

Moved On ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bobiwan View Post
    You are now entering, the Twilight Zone. LOL. Just kidding. I've had this same experience on a few occasions. Usually, what it seems to amount to is that for whatever reason in my setup, I am not experiencing that "sweet zone", where everything is just right. I go through and check everything in my setup. Juice is right? Cartridge is filled properly? Battery is charged? Good contact where the battery connects to the atomizer (you need to clean these areas up occasionally as they get buildups of gunk or juice)? I go through my check list like that. Sometimes I figure it out, other times I don't. Some things that cannot be checked easily, could be the cause. One of those might be a change in the resistance of the atomizer (an ohm meter can check this out), buildup of gunk and/or juice on the atomizer (sometimes a good cleaning of the atomizer can fix this), or a failed atomizer (again, an ohm meter can be used to check this).
    I'm in the middle of that right now lol. Nothing has changed but I just can't seem to get a satisfying vape today, it's like my body built up a resistance overnight.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

This problem seems to happen to me every single day, sometime during the day, and lasts for 2 to 3 hours. Not much taste and no throat hits. Usually, the only thing that helps is if I just quit vaping for 20 to 30 minutes. I think the taste buds and/or throat gets numb from vaping so much or constantly.

It usually happens to me after vaping most of the time for 10 to 12 hours. Then, after taking a break, the first throat hit could be very intense or harsh.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Well, I know my gear is clean, I clean the attys out w/ alcohol about every two or 3 days. I'm getting great production of vapor so the hardware is good. I think I must have overdone it then. I've been trying a lot of 24mg samples and I might have overdosed on nicotine.

I vape almost continuously during the day, a hit or two every 20 mins or so.

I guess I'll see in the morning, I orderd german chocolate cake, banana nut, and apple pie from Tasty Vapor at 12mg strength (I'd asked him to do it @ 18mg in the order notes but I dont know if he did it). They should be here soon and I'll see how those go.
    Last edited by Maast; 10-13-2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Full Member ECF Veteran

It was better this morning, I could taste my PV flavors better, but not quite back to normal.

I drank a bunch of water last evening and closed the bathroom door this morning during my shower to steam my sinuses, I think its just a combination of I overdried the inside of my nose by being partially dehydrated and over vaping. As I've been drinking water this morning the flavor is slowly coming back.

I'm also vaping a 18mg charge this morning instead of the 24, can nicotine OD kill your sense of taste?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    <snip>...
    I'm also vaping a 18mg charge this morning instead of the 24, can nicotine OD kill your sense of taste?
    I don't know if you can call it overdosing, but I know that when I "overvape", the nicotine starts to burn/tingle my mouth and throat a bit. If you've ever tried the old, unflavored nicorette you know the sensation and flavor of nicotine. I think it does have an affect on eLiquid flavors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast