Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should the vapor make me cough violently?

mrb

Default should the vapor make me cough violently?

I just recieved my first e-cigarette yesterday.

It is a 4072 pen model which i am very impressed with!

I ordered with it, some different flavors: orange, vanilla, cherry and almond. (PG)

I cannot inhale the last three flavors without extreme coughing. definitely not a "mellow" inhale that i am used to with cigarettes. It hits my throat and I imediately cough and gag uncontrollably. whew!

The orange does the same thing, but not quite as extreme if I am carefull not to inhale to quickly and try to "mix" the vapor in my mouth with fresh air before inhaling... but not a lot of vapor action on exhale. This is frustrating.

It is not that it is making my throat sore... i cough and gag on contact with my throat. It reminds me of when i was a kid trying to smoke dried grass shutes.

Question: Is this normal? Are there flavors which are more 'smooth' than others? is there anything i can do to minimize these affects?

also, I notice that the flavors are not what i expected. the fruit flavors i thought would be "fruity, sweet", like candy. Instead i find it is much like flavored tabacco. (like when i used to smoke a pipe, I did not care for the 'flavored' tabaccos)

Are there any flavors that are truly Candy tasting? bubblegum?

Thanks for any responses
    have a great day!

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I've heard good things about Vapor Renu's bubble gum. Atomic Cinnacide was the only juice that made me cough and get short of breathe from. Which is odd because I love me some Cinna-bomb.

I was a pack and a half a day smoker, my first experience with ecigs was very similar. It took around a day to get accustom to inhaling vapor. Be patient and stick with it, it will be worth it in the end.
    I have only been vaping for two weeks, so I cannot comment on flavors yet as I am still experimenting myself.

Good luck, I hope this helps some.
    I'm sure some of the more veteran vapers will offer some great advice.

PV Master ECF Veteran WomanOfHeart's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi, mrb! It sounds like your juice is 100% PG, which is going to give you one hell of a strong TH. That's probably why you're coughing. I'm not sure where you bought your juice, but I'm going to recommend VaporBomb. They have a bubblegum flavor (I haven't tried it), and lots of tasty fruit flavors that don't have a tobacco undertone. Check out the Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble! It's fantastic!

If you buy juice with a PG/VG mix, the VG is definitely going to mellow things out and you won't get such a powerful TH.

Vaping my head off since 17 Sep 10:

Riva/eGo/Chameleon/Indulgence/DSE801 Nomad
    If it tastes good, VAPE IT!

mrb

thanks for your input...

I bought from the pvshop out of sparks nevada i think...

so, the vegtable glycerin will make things smoother?
    maybe if i cut it with some vg that will make a difference?

I will definitely check out vaporbomb. I didn't see any of those other flavors at pvshop. disappointing, but figured i better make the most out of the free shipping. I got extra batteries and atomizers too.

the mention of the blueberry makes my mouth water. is it really, sweet, like it sounds? sure sounds good.

thank you so much for your opinion everyone

Super Member ECF Veteran

Welcome to ECF! The higher the pg level is the stronger the throat hit. High levels of nicotine will cause the throat hit to be higher, also.

Higher levels of vg will give you more vapor.

There are lots of good vendors here that have great tasting liquid. You may want to order small bottles from several different ones to find what you like.

Taking long, slow draws will help as well. If you're trying to inhale the vapor like you do a cigarette, that will cause you to cough. If you find it hard at first to take long draws, start with shorter ones but still draw slowly. You have to get your throat and lungs to adjust to inhaling vapor instead of burning tobacco.

And, drink lots of water when vaping! Your throat could be dried out from the vaping which is another reason for the coughing.

As your taste buds start to rebuild, you'll find things don't taste like you're used to so give your body time to readjust to being able to smell and taste things again.

PV Master ECF Veteran WomanOfHeart's Avatar
    Blog Entries

mrb, the next time you buy some juice I'd suggest getting a couple in a 50PG/50VG mix and maybe a couple in a 60PG/40VG mix. Just buy 5ml bottles in different flavors (definitely try the Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble if you buy from VB) I vape both mixes that I suggested and really like both. I suggest it because it'll give you a good starting point, and the chances are you won't end up wasting a bottle because you just aren't able to vape it.

Vaping my head off since 17 Sep 10:

Riva/eGo/Chameleon/Indulgence/DSE801 Nomad
    If it tastes good, VAPE IT!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Buy sample packs of different flavors and different PG/VG mixes. velvetvapors and bluemistvaping both sell sample packs where you can select each sample you want to try.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Great info you've gotten, also if you're inhaling directly into the lungs like a analog this can be harsh until you adjust. Try inhaling into the mouth then open your mouth and pull the vapor into the lungs, that should help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast