Non smoker normally
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non smoker normally

Default Non smoker normally

Hello e-cigarette forum - would really appreciate your input here.

I'm a non smoker and always have been. I got myself an e-cig from totally wicked and nicotine free liquids from libery flights. Don't ask why - I really just did it on a whim. People smoke flavoured water things in a local tea shop and I thought I'd try it out. I enjoy the taste and blowing smoke around while working at my desk.

A friend started telling me horror stories and I noticed that although the liquids say 0mg the boiler text does say 'contains nicotine'. That could be just a standard thing they didn't bother to change.

Long story short - if I'm sticking to (what is hopefully) non nicotine liquids how bad is this likely to be for me?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

No one is 100% sure. And whatever risk does come with e-cigs is most likely in the flavoring. There are no ecig-specific flavorings. It's just normal flavorings that have been used for this purpose, and they have never been tested for that. Not everything that is safe to eat is safe to inhale.

Which is why using an e-cig when you're a non-smoker doesn't make any sense to me. E-cigs are almost certainly safer than smoking, but there is no proof that they're actually safe. And to be perfectly honest, they probably AREN'T safe. They're just SAFER than smoking. But it doesn't take much for something to be safer than smoking.

In addition to that, you can still become an addict even if you never use nicotine. The habitual/compulsive addiction is just as powerful as the chemical addiction.

I just don't understand why you'd do that to yourself.

I guess it doesn't really make sense. I thought the flavours would be nice and rather than snacking on junk food I could use that.

It was a fun little novelty for me but I guess I'll put it away. Thanks for the reply.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Finding something healthy and yummy to snack on is probably a better solution.

E-cigs are a godsend to smokers, but we're going from something that is extremely likely to kill us, to something that's... well, safER. But not safe.

Maybe there's a smoker in your life who would appreciate it.

Sorry to be a downer, I just don't want harm reduction and something that's safe to be confused. They aren't the same thing. E-cigs definitely fall under harm reduction.

I'd rather the right answer to the answer I want to hear - it's much appreciated.

I'll pass it on to my brother - at least it'll be better for him.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I'm sure he'll appreciate it. And probably feel better, if he sticks with it.

Send him our way if he needs help!

Super Member ECF Veteran McCordRM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    I just don't understand why you'd do that to yourself.
    Same reason we started smoking in the first place?

Anyhow, I have to agree with the "can't say" message here about safety.
    I wrote an article on my Vaping experience and made damn sure I mentioned
    that fact. Vaping just hasn't been around as long as smoking, and so we haven't
    had the time to study it like we have cigarettes. If anyone tries to sell you on
    Vaping because "It's safe", they're talking out of their ....
    My American politics website
    http://www.richardmccord.com

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Very intelligent responses to the OP..you all make me proud !! Instead of trying to just "sell it", you were honest...impressive !!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Yeah, maybe. I suppose on that aspect, of why most people start smoking, I have perhaps less perspective than your average (ex) smoker. I came to it in a rather different way.

I do worry about some companies saying vaping is "safe." I don't think Totally Wicked does (and go figure he got a good e-cig on the first try when most newbies dont!), but some of the less ethical companies do say it's "safe." It's not. And we're still discovering possible risks as we go along.

It's so hard to get the "middle ground" message out there, between the media "OMG it's like breathing antifreeze!" thing and the unethical company "it's totally safe!" thing. It's neither. It's a much safer alternative to a very unsafe habit. But definitely not as safe as breathing in fresh air.

Super Member ECF Veteran KissMint's Avatar

LOL I try smoking first time one puff from my uncle's cig. I was around 7 yrs old... I coughed, adults at the table were laughing. I don't think it was a big deal back then. I remember having a pack of gum that resembles a pack of smokes.

My first cigarette was at 18 from my host-mum who i lived with while I was Germany. There was no cig ban, everybody around me smoke, and you can pleasantly smoke almost anywhere.

Things changed sooo much since then and I can't understand why a non smoker would start to smoke or using ecig. I hate it when people look at me like I'm from a different planet. It just sucks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast