Are there calories in e-cigs?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are there calories in e-cigs?

Default Are there calories in e-cigs?

Okay so the sweet taste which comes from glycerol, sweeteners, or vanilla extract....do e-cigs have calories in them? Im gaining weight and havnt changed a single eating habit. Its scaring me, because Ive been using them since sept 25th and have noticed my weight going up despite exercise and my regular diet plan.
    (I lost 35 lbs a year ago and have managed to keep it off maintaining a healthy diet.)

I just quit REAL cigs 3 days ago. So I cant blame it on that either. Please please please tell me that these suckers aren't making me fat

A Fishbowl in Olathe, Kansas, United States
    Blog Entries

Caloric intake applies to what we eat, not breathe. Contrary to popular belief, just looking at or smelling something tasty and fattening will not add on the pounds. You may be dealing with water retention, a gradual addition of extra muscle, or what I'm currently going through -cold season padding. (Great, I sound more like a bear than a Goldfish.)
    Last edited by CrankyGoldfish; 11-22-2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: correction

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I've also gained weight since I started vaping on 09/14...about 4 or 5 lbs, without any change in eating habits. I think, in my case, it's water retention due to drinking a little bit more water every day. I have kidney disease, so it's a common problem for me at times, and I'll probably take some water pills for a while.

I have no idea what the answer to your question is, though. Perhaps others will have better answers.

The answer that "looking at or smelling something tasty and fattening will not add on the pounds" makes no sense to me, since we are inhaling the VG, PG, and flavorings, not just looking at or smelling them.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Bozzlite's Avatar

I don't believe there are any calories in the vapor. Even if you drank it, there couldn't be that many calories in 10ml of juice.

Nicotine is known to increase metabolism, which in turn burns calories. Perhaps you are taking in less nicotine and your metabolism is slowing slightly.

I think I may have put on a few extra pounds too since I switched to vaping. Probably because now I wake up around midnight and have a snack. Or a sandwich, LOL. I am going to cut that out starting now.

thank you all soooo much! Im hoping its retention. It does make sense that something you inhale would not make you gain weight. I have to be sure though. I didn't work this hard for over a year to see it ruined over night by ecigs. I quit the real cigs 3 days ago and havent been able to eat, (weird I know) but Ive been nauseated and just have no appetite.

Hopefully this weight gain goes away...I bought a entire new wardrobe last year when i lost weight and would hate to have to do that again!!!!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Papa Lazarou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deback View Post
    The answer that "looking at or smelling something tasty and fattening will not add on the pounds" makes no sense to me, since we are inhaling the VG, PG, and flavorings, not just looking at or smelling them.
    OK lets assume you are absorbing the calories from the e-liquid. I don't know if you do, but make the assumption you do. How much do most people use a day - 2-3mls (or roughly 2-3g). I haven't looked for PG but glycerol (much sweeter than PG) contains 27 calories per teaspoon as per here - glycerol: Definition from Answers.com A teaspoon is roughly 5ml. So the potential extra calories from vaping VG based e-liquids, if there was 100% absorption, is roughly 10-15 a day. That's really not going to make a lot of difference. An apple (just the first thing I looked at) for comparison has 53 calories.

The weight gain has to be through some other mechanism IMO.

A Fishbowl in Olathe, Kansas, United States
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deback View Post
    T'was a joke, but apparently a wasted one.

sorry didnt catch the humor...lol Im a blonde, so I hope I get a hallpass!

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran Digimon2k's Avatar

I noticed a weight gain related to ecig usage... but in my case it was because my taste buds started working again... sigh.

Also, I heeded the advice to increase my water intake...

but mostly... the taste buds.

Even at my vaping level, and assuming complete uptake of the calories in ejuice, it's still less than a couple apples, so I guess I can't blame the ejuice.

(just wait... I'm sure somebody's gonna come out with ejuice flavors in regular and diet!)

Super Member ECF Veteran KissMint's Avatar

I have gained weight since I started vaping. I have 2 assumptions:

1. smoking reduce appetite, since I don't smoke much anymore (about 1-2 analogs a week) I get hungry.
    2. vaping smells so gooooood, it makes me hungry.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast